• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What you keep ignoring is there weren’t a lot of good free agents.  Murphy, Scherzer.  Who else?  Also your bullshit about a real owner is just dumb. List the $25-30 million players riding the pine.  Thanks.

Beltre was not a good free agent?  Nelson Cruz?  Why have the Angels been using band aids for 3rd, left and 2nd?  Man, your standards are very high.  Not sure what you mean about list the 25-30 million players riding the pine.  I simply meant that the Pujols experiment failed and he hasn't done anything to fix it.  He is in the heart of the lineup.  Team plays in the 2nd largest market.  Again, this is not a small or mid market team.  The Angels have the resources to be better and yet they can't draft right and don't spend to plug in positions.  Do you really you can win your division or the World Series with bad players at 3rd, left and 2nd?  What about their health conditioning?  Players go out for months or years on this team.  It's a running joke here.

25 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I'm just going to leave this here and let you enjoy the irony of it.

I must not have made my point clear. Arte expects to win a world Series with Pujols batting cleanup????  Me as a fan is supposed to believe and accept Pujols batting 3 or 4 in the lineup?  That's completely acceptable?

4 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Beltre was not a good free agent?  Nelson Cruz?  Why have the Angels been using band aids for 3rd, left and 2nd?  Man, your standards are very high.  Not sure what you mean about list the 25-30 million players riding the pine.  I simply meant that the Pujols experiment failed and he hasn't done anything to fix it.  He is in the heart of the lineup.  Team plays in the 2nd largest market.  Again, this is not a small or mid market team.  The Angels have the resources to be better and yet they can't draft right and don't spend to plug in positions.  Do you really you can win your division or the World Series with bad players at 3rd, left and 2nd?  What about their health conditioning?  Players go out for months or years on this team.  It's a running joke here.

Ok, you stated in the last four years, so no Beltre has not been a good free agent or even a free agent in the last four years.  Cruz was coming off a PED suspension.  

Murphy would have been a good signing.  Who in the last four years would have solved third base?  

Its easy for you to be a fan and bitch, but that’s all it is.  You have no solutions.  Spend more money even though lately free agent have sucked and have been crazy expensive.  You refuse to show me all the $25 million players being benched, or the list of actual free agents that would solve these problems that were realistic signings.  

Go back and show me where I stated he should be benched.  I will wait.  Beltre would have solved 3rd base.  Forget the 4 years.  Ever since Glaus left, the Angels haven't drafted a 3rd baseman or signed a 3rd baseman that has replaced him.  Same thing about left field(finally Upton solved this) and 2nd etc.  Yes, he signed Hamilton and it failed.  Since then, Parra, Zobrist, Fowler could have been signed for left.  I don't feel like going through the options at 2nd and 3rd because apparently, it doesn't matter because the Angels have made all the right calls and signed or didn't sign all the right guys and there have been no FA worth signing or trades worth making.  Even though the farm system is one of the worst in baseball, it's not anyone in the Angels org's fault.  There aren't smarter scouts in other organizations.  They aren't better guys at their jobs than anyone attached to the Angels.  

I for one have not been happy with no playoff wins since 2009 but that's just me.  I guess I will just keep that opinion to myself.  It's best to just praise anything and everything Angels.  Our owner is the absolute best in sports and he always does his absolute best 100% and has definitely offered all the good players contracts.  They are just not smart enough to play for the Angels so I have to deal with all the different 3rd baseman and 2nd baseman and pitching staffs and watching a 38 year old "hit" cleanup.  Forgive me.

37 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

I must not have made my point clear. Arte expects to win a world Series with Pujols batting cleanup????  Me as a fan is supposed to believe and accept Pujols batting 3 or 4 in the lineup?  That's completely acceptable?

You missed the point. 

The point is when you spend lots of money on free agents, you get guys past their prime making a lot of money. 

Others may not be as extreme as Pujols, but do you want a bunch of 33 year olds making $19M?

Thats what happens if you expect to build a team by buying free agents. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You missed the point. 

The point is when you spend lots of money on free agents, you get guys past their prime making a lot of money. 

Others may not be as extreme as Pujols, but do you want a bunch of 33 year olds making $19M?

Thats what happens if you expect to build a team by buying free agents. 

Okay but again, fans are supposed to believe a guy that hits like Pujols batting cleanup can be world series contenders?  Why have the Angels drafted so poorly?  Why haven't they replaced Glaus?  Why haven't they replaced Kendrick?  Why is 1st base a platoon?  Why don't they have any ace pitchers?  Why no lock down closer?  ETc etc etc etc 

17 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Who are you talking about? Who on this earth thinks that makes them a contender?

You don't want the Angels to be a contender?  I do and Arte says he is doing the best he can so therefore, Pujols batting cleanup is the best a billionaire can do and he has put the absolute best team possible on the field so yes, Pujols batting cleanup should mean the Angels are a World Series contender.  They have been apparently the last 5 years or whatever.  I had no idea.  You learn something new everyday.

25 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Go back and show me where I stated he should be benched.  I will wait.  Beltre would have solved 3rd base.  Forget the 4 years.  Ever since Glaus left, the Angels haven't drafted a 3rd baseman or signed a 3rd baseman that has replaced him.  Same thing about left field(finally Upton solved this) and 2nd etc.  Yes, he signed Hamilton and it failed.  Since then, Parra, Zobrist, Fowler could have been signed for left.  I don't feel like going through the options at 2nd and 3rd because apparently, it doesn't matter because the Angels have made all the right calls and signed or didn't sign all the right guys and there have been no FA worth signing or trades worth making.  Even though the farm system is one of the worst in baseball, it's not anyone in the Angels org's fault.  There aren't smarter scouts in other organizations.  They aren't better guys at their jobs than anyone attached to the Angels.  

I for one have not been happy with no playoff wins since 2009 but that's just me.  I guess I will just keep that opinion to myself.  It's best to just praise anything and everything Angels.  Our owner is the absolute best in sports and he always does his absolute best 100% and has definitely offered all the good players contracts.  They are just not smart enough to play for the Angels so I have to deal with all the different 3rd baseman and 2nd baseman and pitching staffs and watching a 38 year old "hit" cleanup.  Forgive me.

If you think Parra would be an answer then you must be pumped they traded for Maybin who was better the last two years.  Ben Zobrist had a .5 WAR this year.  Fowler plays CF and also had a worse WAR than Maybin.  

10 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

You don't want the Angels to be a contender?  I do and Arte says he is doing the best he can so therefore, Pujols batting cleanup is the best a billionaire can do and he has put the absolute best team possible on the field so yes, Pujols batting cleanup should mean the Angels are a World Series contender.  They have been apparently the last 5 years or whatever.  I had no idea.  You learn something new everyday.

Of course I want them to be a contender. But you’re using the failures of a high priced free agent as your justification to build with more high priced free agents then doubling down on the rant. Yes, I learned today that you belong on my ignore list along side brains of clay, clownzone, and the Anaheim Boob

5 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Of course I want them to be a contender. But you’re using the failures of a high priced free agent as your justification to build with more high priced free agents then doubling down on the rant. Yes, I learned today that you belong on my ignore list along side brains of clay, clownzone, and the Anaheim Boob

That high priced FA is still batting cleanup.  So that means the Angels are a contender with a bad hitter batting cleanup. Put me on ignore all you want.  I am just stating facts.

9 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

That high priced FA is still batting cleanup.  So that means the Angels are a contender with a bad hitter batting cleanup. Put me on ignore all you want.  I am just stating facts.

Facts and pretend scenarios that would have put the team in a better place than they are now.

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Facts and pretend scenarios that would have put the team in a better place than they are now.

I already admitted that they've made every single right call.  They have signed or haven't signed all the right players.  They could have done no better.  It's just the way things are.  Others teams have better fortunes is all.  Just are luckier.  Arte has done the best job of any owner period.  He has made all the right calls.  Signing Scioscia to that 10 year contract was a genius move.  Not going over the luxury tax has worked perfectly.  Sure, Arte hasn't given the Angels a world series title or even appearance but that's not his fault.  He has shown that he knows the exact managers and scouts and presidents in place in his team.  The Angels farm is bad through absolutely no fault of his own.  The Angels have just been screwed over when it comes to drafting players and signing FA.  I admit I am wrong with every facet and that everything connected to the Angels has been the absolute best it can and will ever be.  Signing Upton will be the bat that takes them to a division title. Hell, a world series appearance has only eluded them because they just haven't had the chance to sign any good players because none wanted to play for them.  Can't blame the Angels for being in the 2nd largest market in Southern California.  Ignore what the team just up the freeway has been doing and the players they have developed.  The Dodgers always had better draft picks and got lucky year after year after year after year.  

I know now the Angels and Arte have made all the right choices but haven't won because, well, they just aren't lucky.  The team is perfect just the way it is and has always been that way.  I am sorry for ranting about all the problems they have or rather, I thought they have.  I know how it's not their fault they haven't replaced Glaus or Kendrick and for all the other "problems" with players and staff. I now see that Pujols batting cleanup and his decline after the Angels signed him is meaningless because he is the perfect guy for that spot in the lineup and no players could have been signed after 2013 that could have done a better job. My bad guys.  

6 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

I already admitted that they've made every single right call.  They have signed or haven't signed all the right players.  They could have done no better.  It's just the way things are.  Others teams have better fortunes is all.  Just are luckier.  Arte has done the best job of any owner period.  He has made all the right calls.  Signing Scioscia to that 10 year contract was a genius move.  Not going over the luxury tax has worked perfectly.  Sure, Arte hasn't given the Angels a world series title or even appearance but that's not his fault.  He has shown that he knows the exact managers and scouts and presidents in place in his team.  The Angels farm is bad through absolutely no fault of his own.  The Angels have just been screwed over when it comes to drafting players and signing FA.  I admit I am wrong with every facet and that everything connected to the Angels has been the absolute best it can and will ever be.  Signing Upton will be the bat that takes them to a division title. Hell, a world series appearance has only eluded them because they just haven't had the chance to sign any good players because none wanted to play for them.  Can't blame the Angels for being in the 2nd largest market in Southern California.  Ignore what the team just up the freeway has been doing and the players they have developed.  The Dodgers always had better draft picks and got lucky year after year after year after year.  

I know now the Angels and Arte have made all the right choices but haven't won because, well, they just aren't lucky.  The team is perfect just the way it is and has always been that way.  I am sorry for ranting about all the problems they have or rather, I thought they have.  I know how it's not their fault they haven't replaced Glaus or Kendrick and for all the other "problems" with players and staff. I now see that Pujols batting cleanup and his decline after the Angels signed him is meaningless because he is the perfect guy for that spot in the lineup and no players could have been signed after 2013 that could have done a better job. My bad guys.  

Ok, you’ve become ridiculous.  

You-“Angels should have signed this guy and this guy”

Me-“those guys aren’t better are more expensive or we’re free agents”

You-“Angels and Arte are perfect”

yea, awesome conversation

I don't know much about Otani, and am guessing he is probably overrated. And I know the Angels can't offer him the same bonus other teams can. But you gotta believe we have a few selling points we can offer - namely that we have a history of spending huge to lock up young talent (Trout). It also doesn't hurt that we have pitching openings. I guess the main impediment is that it would be hard to find at bats for him.

58 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Let him play first base or right field and move Calhoun to first.  

The other thing we have going for us is being on the West Coast.  That cuts six hours off your flight to Japan versus NY. 

If a Japanese community is important to him then a CA team will be on his list --  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_large_Japanese-American_populations   Personally I believe he's known where he wanted to go for a long time.

I really want to hear the details of whatever agreement MLB has made in order to allow it to happen.  

18 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Why wouldn't he?  He has stated over and over and over that he will not go over the tax.  The Angels have more to upgrade.  Stanton alone is not the answer and getting him inches closer to that tax while still needing to address other positions.

Am I missing something?  Don't we have something like 60 million under the cap?  And hasn't Arte repeatedly stated he would go over the cap for the right player and finally in the "primer"  wasn't it shown that that we can fit both Stanton and Gordon under the cap?

11 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

That's true about the player not always wanting the most money.  My point is that there are A LOT of good players the Angels didn't signed and weren't even linked to. Sure, you have every right to think that no good FA's over the years wanted to play for the Angels and that would be extremely sad if it were the case.  I am simply looking at the facts and they prove that the Angels are either not in talks with or lose out on all the good FA's.  Upton is a very good step but he is just one of many the Angels need to take this offseason to have a legitimate shot of winning their division let alone the World Series. 

Arte is not proving to us as fans that he is doing the absolute best he can despite his famous line of we're doing the best we can.  I get that you need to develop players but history has shown us the Angels are not very good at doing that.  We can't find a replacement for Glaus to save our life.  We have needed a replacement for 2nd base for years now.  It's too depressing to go over every position and the ineptness this org seems to have at most of them.  A real owner that wants to win the World Series would not be letting a 38 year old WAYY WAYY WAYY past his prime bat 3rd or clean up every night. He would have realized the situation long ago and gotten a replacement.  I am hungry and am getting too riled up over this org's incompetence.  I will just hope for the best this offseason. 

Go buy a franchise and dominate.   You seem to be a baseball genius