• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

3 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Just when is it you think MLB GMs get vacation time? This isn't the 70's anymore when once your season was over you left the office until December, that's when sign free agents and make trades. 

Bill Stoneman was quoted as saying on retiring he wanted to spend time with his wife, the GM position had become 24/7/365 with Christmas off on leap years. 

A little exaggerated but even if Eppler took a week off he would still be on his cell phone and email making sure he never missed out on a deal. 

Didn’t Dipoto take off to Iowa when Tanaka was in town meeting with other GM’s in Los Angeles.

20 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Here's the best proof so far that we're going to trade for Stanton:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/assessing-the-trade-market-for-giancarlo-stanton.html

We aren't even one of the 15 teams mentioned.

That is just goofy. Obviously it's a low percentage chance but to have Minnesota and Seattle on there and not the Angels is bizarre to say the least.

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Just when is it you think MLB GMs get vacation time? This isn't the 70's anymore when once your season was over you left the office until December, that's when sign free agents and make trades. 

Bill Stoneman was quoted as saying on retiring he wanted to spend time with his wife, the GM position had become 24/7/365 with Christmas off on leap years. 

A little exaggerated but even if Eppler took a week off he would still be on his cell phone and email making sure he never missed out on a deal. 

GM's are obviously on call all the time. I think the most dead time of year is probably the week or two right before spring training. There is also very little to do player-wise in September and October, but they are doing a lot on staffing (coaches, scouts, etc.).

Billy Beane once told me he had this fishing trip in Oregon in July, and he had to get some special satellite phone since there were no cell towers there.

On 11/6/2017 at 12:42 PM, Calzone said:

Yes indeed. I’m just not a fan of handing out that full no trade so loosely. I looked at the market and couldn’t really come up with another team that could give Upton the type of package that he was looking for. Money, extension, location, full no trade and a chance to win. Even when the Tigers signed him as a free agent they didn’t offer him a full no trade clause. It is what it is but really damages the future flexibility down the road. Just a thought. We move on. 

Do we have to bitch about everything?  I don't see the no trade being a big issue.  If we are out of the running and want to trade him to a contender than I am sure he would jump at waiving his clause.  If we have a better option and want to trade him than all we need to do is bench him.  And in that instance I am sure he will demand a trade.

If he stinks, (like Pujols)  I am pretty certain  no one would want to take him anyway.

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

GM's are obviously on call all the time. I think the most dead time of year is probably the week or two right before spring training. There is also very little to do player-wise in September and October, but they are doing a lot on staffing (coaches, scouts, etc.).

Billy Beane once told me he had this fishing trip in Oregon in July, and he had to get some special satellite phone since there were no cell towers there.

But can he get on base?

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

That is when he trades the team away.

11 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Do we have to bitch about everything?  I don't see the no trade being a big issue.  If we are out of the running and want to trade him to a contender than I am sure he would jump at waiving his clause.  If we have a better option and want to trade him than all we need to do is bench him.  And in that instance I am sure he will demand a trade.

If he stinks, (like Pujols)  I am pretty certain  no one would want to take him anyway.

I’m not a fan of handing out too many of those no trade clauses concurrently. You end up with too many players calling the shots and tying the hands of organization. Trout has a no trade clause that could end up crushing us if he decides not to stay and leave as a free agent. 

6 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Smartest thing Eppler has done is getting Upton set up early before the Boras hype train gets rolling -- check this ESPN article chock full of Boros quotes..    

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21344607/scott-boras-expects-arizona-diamondbacks-involved-free-agent-bidding-jd-martinez  

"Do any of them hit 40-something home runs and hit .300?" Boras said. "Neither have hit 40 in a season. You have to look at performance and say, 'Where is the performer who is comparable?' And you go from there. I don't believe any of those performers are in that place."

"He's a superstar talent," Boras told the Republic. "He's done things that few players have done."

Jay Bruce is also telling people he wants a 5 year deal...   So, yeah....  Getting an extra year and loweing the AAV may end being quite the deal.

no matter what it certainly isn't a bad deal. upton is a significantly above avg player. if something angel-like happens it won't change the fact that at the time of signing it was a good value deal. eppler can't control the future, his job is to try to mold and manipulate it. you know, like being a parent.

1 hour ago, Calzone said:

I’m not a fan of handing out too many of those no trade clauses concurrently. You end up with too many players calling the shots and tying the hands of organization. Trout has a no trade clause that could end up crushing us if he decides not to stay and leave as a free agent. 

are you suggesting that we shouldn't have given trout a no trade clause? or that trout's agents would have ever allowed him to sign a contract without one? no team is a fan of handing out "too many" no trade clauses, but how many does the avg team have? 2 or 3? the better/best players get them. they have the leverage to get them. that's the way it goes.

i have no idea what you do, but your comments lead me to believe that you don't have much experience in negotiating business deals. the layman thinks that you just put your foot down and don't back off until the other party breaks, and that's not how it works unless one party has ALL of the leverage and the other party has none.

that's definitely not the case with mlb and the players' union, and certainly not the case when you're talking about mike trout and the angels. let's say the angels said, "no trade clause is off the table!", then trout's agency says, "no extension. we'll go arbitration, then FA." what do the angels do then? treat it like a bluff? guess what? it's not a bluff.

the way the negotiation went with upton's agents is a give and take. there are certain concessions each side wants and the other side wants something in return for any concession it agrees to. in this case, the agents had way more leverage over the angels than vice versa. all they had to do was take their player to FA, if they didn't get what they wanted. they certainly weren't going to struggle to get him a 4/88 contract. so there was no downside for their side in either scenario. go to FA and get a better contract and certainly one no worse or get a deal done with the angels for an extra year and a no trade clause; in exchange the angels get to keep their player out of the bidding frenzy of FA and lower their AAV on the contract.

that's your concessions and negotiation.

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

If Trout wants to l wave as a FA than why the hell would he block a trade to a contender.  The logic makes no sense.  If we are in a playoff hunt we are not trading anyone of value.  If we are out of tge race Trout would welcome a trade to a contender.  If he wants to leave why the would block a trade in his walk year?

11 minutes ago, stormngt said:

If Mareno balks because of money than F him

Why wouldn't he?  He has stated over and over and over that he will not go over the tax.  The Angels have more to upgrade.  Stanton alone is not the answer and getting him inches closer to that tax while still needing to address other positions.

Haven't read the thread so don't know if this is a Craig, but Boras wants close to $200MM for Martinez. At most he gets 6/$150MM, and that only if some team is desperate to make a splash. I could see him going un-signed all the way to March, then "settling" for something like 5/$110MM.

The guy should be happy that his .690 SLG will get him nine figures.