• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reading Between the Lines: Billy Eppler's Talk with Season Ticketholders

1 hour ago, nikkachez said:

Thanks! Was just a little thrown off to hear him interested in adding a catcher, didn't think it was a necessity. 

Wilson Ramos and Jason Castro are both likely to be resigned, but I can see the Angels going after both. 

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

If defense in LF is more important, I think they are looking at Rasmus or Gomez.  Their are both very good defenders.  They also will most likely be only be signing one year deals in hopes of a bigger contract in 2018.

Of course, John Jay is a pretty good defender too, so there's that.  I predict LF will be one of those three.

Cespedes is a good defender in left as well. :)

29 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I asked a Yankees beat writer about Gardner recently and he doesn't think the Yankees have any interest in trading him. They need him. And the Angels don't exactly have anyone to make them change their minds. 

Forget Gardner. 

Thanks for looking into it Jeff. It's a good idea, but if it's not in the cards, we can come up with other ideas. 

1 hour ago, Hubs said:

Not really, because Calhoun is only under contract for 2017 and 2018. If Jones is raking, they can trade Cron and move Calhoun to 1st, or trade Calhoun. Expecting young players to be ready by a certain date gets people into trouble. I've been guilty of this, and I've only been right once (about Calhoun). I didn't like the Callaspo move to 3rd and hated his extension for two years because I wanted Beltre, but people in the front office thought Cowart would be raking by now. Farm talent is not proven until they finish AA. Then and only then can you project.

Calhoun is controlled through the end of 2019.

That was a great article,  Dave.  I hope the Biometrics Department can learn something about reducing the instance of Tommy John injuries. 

I'm glad they are serious about the farm system.  They have been caught in the elevator shaft between high payroll and limited trade options.  I also like the organizational unity concept of developing players the Angel Way.  I think they were doing that during the Stoneman years.

Honestly, I'm not sure they can address all the club's needs for 2017 unless some players on the farm can contribute.  Two starting pitchers from outside the system?  How is he going to do that?

I am impressed with the information Eppler shared, even if he can't meet every goal he has set for next year.

Sounds like the Yankees, and some on this board, overrate Gardner quite a bit. He was a bit of a hidden gem there for awhile, giving people saber-boners when he accrued 11.1 fWAR from 2010-11--that's good enough to be the 8th best player during that span, right between Cano and Pedroia. But that was five years ago. He missed most of 2012 and came back slightly diminished in 2013 and 2014 (3.4 and 3.5 fWAR, respectively) and then dropped another notch in 2015 and 2016 (2.6 and 2.4). At 33 years old I don't expect that trajectory to change. He's still a solid player, just not as good as the "hidden gem" reputation he still seems to have.

I also don't really like this Calhoun-to-first idea. Kole is a good hitter but not a great one. His value comes from all-around above average play, including playing right field well, plus a certain "white guy grit" that people seem to love. I've been a fan of Kole's since he was drafted and look forward to more years on the Angels, but with him 29 already, he might be a trade candidate sometime within the next few years.

That said, I think we could see a bit of an offensive spike from Kole, or at least a career year: maybe a year in which he hits .280-290ish with an OPS in the .800-.850 range and 25 or so HR. If he does that within the next few years it might be a good time to trade him.

Nick Markakis would be a great fit for this team. He's just expensive enough that it will drive his price in terms of prospects down into an arena we're probably more comfortable with. Just spit balling here but I think we could get him straight up for Ward or Hermosillo. The Braves seem pretty set on pitching prospects.

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I asked a Yankees beat writer about Gardner recently and he doesn't think the Yankees have any interest in trading him. They need him. And the Angels don't exactly have anyone to make them change their minds. 

Forget Gardner. 

Can I just say, Thank God.  Gardner is well past his prime.

8 hours ago, ettin said:

I don't think they will decline Escobar's option as it is only $5.84MM Average Annual Value versus the Luxury Tax threshold. However they could pick it up and trade him instead of keeping him. 

this is what I immediately thought when he mentioned Escobar's option.

50 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Unfortunately, Cespedes is looking for a 5 year/6 year deal and he isn't getting any younger.

I'd like to see the Angels sign Rasmus or Gomez for a year and then sign Harper in 2018.

If the halos signed Harper Massengil would be a new billboard in the outfield.