• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reading Between the Lines: Billy Eppler's Talk with Season Ticketholders

One of the interesting things was his phrase for signing a FA player. He kept saying how he wanted to "take down a player for LF" or "take him down". It was funny and interesting to hear him refer to it much like a game for him as the GM. He briefly talked about how he sells a player on signing with the team (location, weather, clubhouse, being upfront and clear about his role, and some proprietary things he doesn't want the competition to know).

The best question of the night was asked by a fan named Tim Mead, sitting next to him. Tim asked him (after Eppler had gone on for a bit about his job as GM is to evaluate everything) "How would you evaluate your performance in your first year?"  Gotta love that fan. Great question!

Good stuff Dave thank you very much for sharing. A lot of what you said will be discussed in the Angels Offseason Primer. It's interesting because when you look deeply at the teams financial situation, lineup construction, and free agent and trade opportunities position by position you can actually see what he conveyed last night.

For instance his comments regarding OBP makes a lot of sense for our lineup. Also the scarcity of opportunities at 2B this offseason is real while his comments about how it is easier to fill an OF spot is very true. Even your comment on finding a catcher matches up because both Perez and Bandy are great defensively but their bats are suspect from both sides of the plate.

Would love to hear from anyone else who was there but thanks Dave this is actually quite affirming to what I have been researching and writing about.

I almost wanted to tell him that some guy on AngelsWin.com wrote an article suggesting a trade for Gardner. In discussing LF, Eppler said that he would look for a guy who can cover more ground here over power. Between that, and his praise for Jam Jones, I was very much thinking how Gardner would be a great fit. They could even decline the option on Escobar, possibly move Marte to 3B, and use the money to get the 1 or 2 arms for the rotation and BP and improve 2B. 

13 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

I almost wanted to tell him that some guy on AngelsWin.com wrote an article suggesting a trade for Gardner. In discussing LF, Eppler said that he would look for a guy who can cover more ground here over power. Between that, and his praise for Jam Jones, I was very much thinking how Gardner would be a great fit. They could even decline the option on Escobar, possibly move Marte to 3B, and use the money to get the 1 or 2 arms for the rotation and BP and improve 2B. 

I don't think they will decline Escobar's option as it is only $5.84MM Average Annual Value versus the Luxury Tax threshold. However they could pick it up and trade him instead of keeping him. Gardner is certainly an option in the trade market and obviously Eppler has history with him too so he is a candidate in my mind for sure as well. There are other options that I think would be good too but I'll save that for the Primer. Marte at 3B is an idea that makes some sense.

Actually if they traded for Gardner and his remaining two years (he also has a 2019 option) and moved Marte to 3B for 2017 and beyond that would allow Jahmai Jones to start in A ball in 2017 and over the next two years or so he could hopefully rise through the system fast and start in 2019 or 2020. Alternatively of course Calhoun will either have to be given an extension or the Angels will have to consider trading him after 2018 and there will be an OF spot available then too.

Sounds like Fletcher may get an opportunity to show his stuff at ST. Wouldn't be surprised if they start fast-tracking him and hold off acquiring any 2B who block that path. 

The LF comments....sounds like they wouldn't be opposed to considering Cespedes as a LF option. 

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sounds like Fletcher may get an opportunity to show his stuff at ST. Wouldn't be surprised if they start fast-tracking him and hold off acquiring any 2B who block that path. 

The LF comments....sounds like they wouldn't be opposed to considering Cespedes as a LF option. 

No, they wouldn't. But, if Cespedes wants a 5-6 year deal with no opt-outs, that could block Jones, and that could be problematic.

10 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Calhoun could be traded or shifted to 1B by then though too. 

What do you do with Cron? And, at this point, they are very high on Calhoun (as is almost every team, so I do believe he's going to get a good payday when he's a FA and may receive offers enough to lure him away so we may not get the final say on this). I know Cespedes posted a very good year, but I'm still a little bit leary of signing him to a mega deal.

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

....Marte will not be the LFer next year, but that he will get his ABs around the infield. He told a funny story about learning that Marte was going to play LF. In his mind, Eppler was thinking where, in Fenway?

A little surprised at that....thought Marte earned a shot at a regular spot....but they may think he just isn't suited to play OF on a regular basis.....could also mean they want to plug him in at 3b or 1b if Escobar or Cron is traded...

5 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

What do you do with Cron? And, at this point, they are very high on Calhoun (as is almost every team, so I do believe he's going to get a good payday when he's a FA and may receive offers enough to lure him away so we may not get the final say on this). I know Cespedes posted a very good year, but I'm still a little bit leary of signing him to a mega deal.

I imagine even if they move Jones (and Hermosillo) aggressively, and he produces each step of the way, he's still not likely taking a starting role in the OF until 2019 at the earliest. That would be Kole's walk year. So either Jones takes an extra year in the minors somewhere, or shuttles between the bigs and AAA, or plays a bench role, or Calhoun gets dealt at some point.

I'd be surprised if Calhoun and Cron are both still here through the '19 season. Either one of them also represent some of the only tradeable MLB assets we have that could become expendable or at least replaceable, over the next couple of seasons. Thaiss could be pushing that issue as well by then, if not sooner.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I imagine even if they move Jones (and Hermosillo) aggressively, and he produces each step of the way, he's still not likely taking a starting role in the OF until 2019 at the earliest. That would be Kole's walk year. So either Jones takes an extra year in the minors somewhere, or shuttles between the bigs and AAA, or plays a bench role, or Calhoun gets dealt at some point.

I'd be surprised if Calhoun and Cron are both still here through the '19 season. Either one of them also represent some of the only tradeable MLB assets we have that could become expendable or at least replaceable, over the next couple of seasons. Thaiss could be pushing that issue as well by then, if not sooner.

Forgot to mention that he spoke highly of Thaiss. He was asked about drafting high school players vs. college players and pointed out how many of their top picks were on HS players, so he's open to it.

In speaking of Jones and signing FAs, he pointed out that even with a protected pick, we'd still lose a second rounder, which means losing a player like Jones. So, for him, the signing has to be better than getting another Jam Jones.

As for Cron and Thaiss, I can see Thais making Cron more expendable, and he might be the one on the move when the time comes. Eppler said Thaiss should move through the system pretty quickly.

Thanks for sharing. Well color me optimistic. I like his strategy of building the farm and really think in a year or two our farm will be in a very good spot. Sounds like we will have a busy offseason filling 2b, LF, 2 starters, and a few relievers. Quite a tall task but I think after the last 2 years of LF he is going to be a bit more aggressive (but not Cespedes aggressive). Just not sure who we will land in LF and for the 2 starters, but I'm excited to find out.

16 minutes ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Forgot to mention that he spoke highly of Thaiss. He was asked about drafting high school players vs. college players and pointed out how many of their top picks were on HS players, so he's open to it.

In speaking of Jones and signing FAs, he pointed out that even with a protected pick, we'd still lose a second rounder, which means losing a player like Jones. So, for him, the signing has to be better than getting another Jam Jones.

As for Cron and Thaiss, I can see Thais making Cron more expendable, and he might be the one on the move when the time comes. Eppler said Thaiss should move through the system pretty quickly.

I think if Marte continues producing in '17, it makes Cron even more expendable. Offensively they look like they'll be fairly comparable, but Marte can play several positions. If Thaiss and Jones keep advancing, and Marte maintains, Cron may be on the way out much sooner than expected.

I figured they weren't very interested in sacrificing a draft pick, even with the first round protected. Seeing as how thin we are and how he wants to hoarde talent in the minors, even losing that one pick would sting. It'd have to be a special case. 

Thanks for the update Dave.  Some really good stuff.  

Seems like the options are wide open at this point.  

I don't think I'd worry too much about blocking guys like Jones or Thaiss.  That kinda stuff has a way of working out.  

At the very least I think we're going to see a fair amount of activity.   Looking forward to it. 

Hey I just wanted to jump on here and thank you for the information, this was very informative, and I'm soooooo excited for the offseason. Sounds like some stuff is actually going to go down. 

Just one, or two, quick questions, you mentioned catcher/Matt Wieters, does that mean he's looking to acquire another catcher on top of Bandy and Perez? Because if he values the glove over the bat at catcher, I don't see a real need to add one since Bandy/Perez combined to be one of the better catching units (using FanGraphs' defensive ratings). Jason Castro looks like the only worthwhile, defensive-minded catcher on the free agent market. 

And one last one, since he's trying to stockpile talent in the minors (none of us can blame him obviously), it doesn't sound like they're going to acquire anyone via the trade, no? Limited trade assets, their best bet may be through free agency. 

11 minutes ago, nikkachez said:

Hey I just wanted to jump on here and thank you for the information, this was very informative, and I'm soooooo excited for the offseason. Sounds like some stuff is actually going to go down. 

Just one, or two, quick questions, you mentioned catcher/Matt Wieters, does that mean he's looking to acquire another catcher on top of Bandy and Perez? Because if he values the glove over the bat at catcher, I don't see a real need to add one since Bandy/Perez combined to be one of the better catching units (using FanGraphs' defensive ratings). Jason Castro looks like the only worthwhile, defensive-minded catcher on the free agent market. 

And one last one, since he's trying to stockpile talent in the minors (none of us can blame him obviously), it doesn't sound like they're going to acquire anyone via the trade, no? Limited trade assets, their best bet may be through free agency. 

He said he'd like to get a defensive catcher, but didn't think adding a 20 HR catcher would be as valuable (who else fits that bill besides Wieters?). He mentioned that we have defensive catchers already, so it isn't as necessary.

I didn't get the impression that they are opposed to trades. He explained the whole reasoning for trading Hector Santiago. He talked about opportunistic trades and used this an example. He said he was asked why he traded pitching when we needed pitching. He said he got 2 pitchers back in exchange for Santiago and enough money to make the deal cash neutral. So, he got a two for one deal. He said that if the Angels are going to be successful, they need to be opportunistic when trade proposals come up (I also got the impression that the Twins came at us with the deal more than we came at them for the deal). Using that as an example, if trading Cron and/or Calhoun could make us substantially better, that could happen.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to say: one question was why not trade Trout for a haul of prospects. The question received a resounding round of boos and Eppler said "We are not trading the best player in baseball." Not that it will end the pointless and useless threads discussing the idea, but we're not trading Trout.

1 minute ago, Dave Saltzer said:

He said he'd like to get a defensive catcher, but didn't think adding a 20 HR catcher would be as valuable (who else fits that bill besides Wieters?). He mentioned that we have defensive catchers already, so it isn't as necessary.

I didn't get the impression that they are opposed to trades. He explained the whole reasoning for trading Hector Santiago. He talked about opportunistic trades and used this an example. He said he was asked why he traded pitching when we needed pitching. He said he got 2 pitchers back in exchange for Santiago and enough money to make the deal cash neutral. So, he got a two for one deal. He said that if the Angels are going to be successful, they need to be opportunistic when trade proposals come up (I also got the impression that the Twins came at us with the deal more than we came at them for the deal). Using that as an example, if trading Cron and/or Calhoun could make us substantially better, that could happen.

Oh, one more thing I forgot to say: one question was why not trade Trout for a haul of prospects. The question received a resounding round of boos and Eppler said "We are not trading the best player in baseball." Not that it will end the pointless and useless threads discussing the idea, but we're not trading Trout.

Thanks! Was just a little thrown off to hear him interested in adding a catcher, didn't think it was a necessity. 

Great stuff, Dave, thanks. I too am feeling more optimistic after reading that - sounds like he's got a great strategy going forward.

I also was confused about the catcher comment. I'd be surprised if we didn't go into 2017 with Bandy/Perez as our catching duo.

Biomechanics sounds intriguing--glad they're working on that level.

I personally think Cron has higher upside than Marte. I could see Cron having a bit of a breakthough next year, establishing himself as a perennial .280/.800, 25 HR hitter.

I love Kole, but he might be a bit overrated at this point. Underrated guys often end up being somewhat overrated when they're "discovered." Anyhow, I'd hate to see him go but I think you start listening to trade offers, especially if top prospects are involved.

But yeah, I definitely think one of Cron and Calhoun will be traded before Thaiss arrives, who should be a similar caliber player.

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

If defense in LF is more important, I think they are looking at Rasmus or Gomez.  Their are both very good defenders.  They also will most likely be only be signing one year deals in hopes of a bigger contract in 2018.

Of course, John Jay is a pretty good defender too, so there's that.  I predict LF will be one of those three.

Trading one of Perez or Bandy is definitely in the cards - probably not this offseason, but I expect it sometime in the near future. We're very fortunate to have two talented young catchers with a lot of control, but it is a luxury. Ward could enter that picture with a hot 2017 as well. You can probably get a pretty solid prospect package or promising MLB player in exchange for either of them right now, and I don't think you'd see too steep of a drop off between Perez/Bandy playing 80 games each or Bandy/Perez playing 110-120 starts with a vet back-up on a cheap one-year handling the other 40-50. Whatever difference there is would hopefully be negated by the players you got back in trade. If you can address SP, LF, or 2B in a deal built around one of them, I see no reason not to pull the trigger and pick up a vet back-up for a year or two. I can also see them going with Perez/Bandy for one more year to help assess which they'd rather prioritize keeping. 

I think Kole's future could change dramatically if the '17 club flounders. Assuming that we do something to address LF this year, they could trade Kole for a good clutch of prospects sometime this year and sign another vet OF next offseason. Kole definitely bring a lot to the club defensively, and he's a solid offensive contributor as well, but I think a lot of rejection of dealing him stems to the fact that we haven't had a LF in 3.5 years. Not that OPS is everything, but we've had a sub-.600 OPS in LF for two seasons. If you can address LF with a .700+ OPS bat this offseason and sign another vet offseason who does the same, the difference in OF production wouldn't be that drastic, and again, you'd have the players you got back in the Calhoun trade. 

Really it boils down to the fact that Calhoun, Cron, and one of Perez or Bandy are the only pieces we could sell off for a legitimate return over the next couple of seasons. Dealing away Simmons or any of the SPs opens quite a hole and would be a little drastic. You can deal Escobar and Street, but with both walking next year you won't get much of a return. You can replace players in that first batch via FA fairly easily or internally (Marte for Cron) and still get a good return of prospects. 

4 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Last night, a couple of hundred season ticketholders gathered to hear Billy Eppler talk about the 2016 season and looking ahead to the 2017 season. Considering the limitations on what he could and could not say, he actually said quite a bit. I'd like this thread to be an area where those who attended share some of his comments from the evening.

Several of the highlights I recalled was him saying that he wants to get 1 or 2 starting pitchers from outside of the organization. He seemed to stress two pitchers, implying FA as a method. He said that he has told Alex Meyer that he will have to battle for a spot in the rotation. 

He absolutely intends to fix LF and 2B.

He appeared to rule out getting Wieters but may want a more defensive catcher. He said would he like to get a catcher who can hit 20 HRs? Sure, but is that the best thing? No. he wants a catcher to cut down on runs scored. 

He wants more OB%. He talked about this quite a bit. He pointed out the park effects on building the team (108 games that we will play at home and on the road at least will be played in pitcher friendly parks), so he said he's less inclined to get a 10-15 HR guy because their numbers will drop and that "you [fans] will kill me for the drop in production". He said getting a 25 HR guy makes sense because they have "thunder in the bat" and that their numbers won't drop. But he also said we have several guys who can do that.

He said they haven't yet decided whether to exercise Escobar's option. But, also said that he has provided the best leadoff player for the organization since Chone Figgins. I found this a bit surprising, although it could still be because the WS is still not over, so that could be a factor. 

Marte will not be the LFer next year, but that he will get his ABs around the infield. He told a funny story about learning that Marte was going to play LF. In his mind, Eppler was thinking where, in Fenway?

He said that all of the coaching staff will return.

He talked about his relationship with Scioscia and how he spends more time than other Angels GMs have in the clubhouse to get the pulse of the team. He's usually in the clubhouse from 2:00-3:30 and again immediately after the game. He said after every game he lets Scioscia get off his chest whatever he needs to and then talks to him about in-game decisions the next day to give him to cool down. He said he learned that skill in NY.

He spoke very highly of Jam Jones. So much so, that I'd have to say that in thinking about LF, that has to be part of the equation.

He said it should be easier to fill the hole in LF over 2B because it's easier to move a RFer over to LF than it is to make a 2B. And, there are more options for the OF.

He talked about new departments that he's created, looking at biomechanics to try and cut down on injuries and improving performance. Same with stats. He's also looking into the brain research to learn more about how a player makes a decision to swing or not swing (is it vision? where is he looking? what part of the plate is he covering? etc.). They have hired a full-time person to head a new department of biomechanics.

Shoemaker is doing well and is scheduled for another CAT scan. He should be getting those every 8 weeks, but should be all good for Spring Training.

He talked about Pujols, keeping him healthy, especially as he ages, and the toll playing the infield takes on the body.

He said on a couple of occasions getting 1 or 2 arms for the bullpen.

He talked about rebuilding the farm. To do so, he wants to hoarde talent, which means taking as many waiver claims as they can. He wants to spend all of their bonus money up to the point of losing picks (he said the Angels have never done that before). This applies for Latin America and for domestic players. We will pay the tax for going over, and will spend from now on up to the edge of our limits. He discussed having all the improved data in all of their minor league parks which has been incorporated with minor league players. He told his getting more juice out of the orange analogy. He also talked about new training regimens for players, particularly pitchers. He wants more of a system in place with more internal candidates being groomed (even for a future GM role) so that there is a similar philosophy from top to bottom. 

He talked about hiring Matt Swanson to be the new Director of Scouting. He talked about Swanson's ability to grow a department and a team organically. Eppler had high praise for him and the organization that he came from, but said the deciding factor for him was his ability to grow the organization organically. He wants to have a line of prospects in development to be playing the same way.

In terms of pitchers, he prefers guys who get strikeouts because those are the only sure outs in a game (I almost wanted to remind him Pierzynski and the playoffs). I think this leans heavily towards Hellickson as a top target.

In response to a direct question, he spoke very highly of a prospect named David Fletcher, who he hopes in the best case becomes a starting 2B (he plays SS, and as Eppler said "we have a pretty good SS already"). Worst case, he will still make the Majors. Called him a real gamer.

He really did not speak highly of Baldoquin. In response to a question about him, he said "We still have him . . . he's still figuring his way out right now." 

All in all, it was a good event. I'm glad that they are doing these, as they do need to be more visible and approachable by fans. If anyone else was there and has more insights or things I missed, please add them to the discussion.

Great read Dave thanks for posting!

Overall, a very great thread to read. Not the normal bs.... Great contributions and thoughts to everyone!

3 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

No, they wouldn't. But, if Cespedes wants a 5-6 year deal with no opt-outs, that could block Jones, and that could be problematic.

Not really, because Calhoun is only under contract for 2017 and 2018. If Jones is raking, they can trade Cron and move Calhoun to 1st, or trade Calhoun. Expecting young players to be ready by a certain date gets people into trouble. I've been guilty of this, and I've only been right once (about Calhoun). I didn't like the Callaspo move to 3rd and hated his extension for two years because I wanted Beltre, but people in the front office thought Cowart would be raking by now. Farm talent is not proven until they finish AA. Then and only then can you project.