• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reading Between the Lines: Billy Eppler's Talk with Season Ticketholders

Real intrigued at the possibility of them declining Escobar's option. I didn't really think it would be an option as itd open up quite a hole at the top of the order, but an extra $7m this offseason could put us in much better position to go after more (or more expensive) free agents.

21 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

7 million won't even get them a good reliever, so I don't see them creating a hole in the lineup over that. Escobar at 7 million on a one year deal isn't bad at all.

That said, he is overrated. 

No, it's not a bad deal, but it makes you wonder if they feel comfortable just handing Marte the job, or they could be considering pursuing someone 'better' and more expensive like Justin Turner or someone possibly comparable in price such as Luis Valbuena or even someone cheaper like Stephen Drew or Kelly Johnson.

It would also mean they're looking at guys like Jon Jay or Dexter Fowler who could lead off, unless they want to put Calhoun or Simmons there.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

No, it's not a bad deal, but it makes you wonder if they feel comfortable just handing Marte the job, or they could be considering pursuing someone 'better' and more expensive like Justin Turner or someone possibly comparable in price such as Luis Valbuena or even someone cheaper like Stephen Drew or Kelly Johnson.

It would also mean they're looking at guys like Jon Jay or Dexter Fowler who could lead off, unless they want to put Calhoun or Simmons there.

I've been on the Fowler bandwagon since last offseason, he would be amazing to replace Escobar at the top of the lineup. 

13 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Wouldn't we prefer to have two guys hitting in front of Trout who can get on base?

Why not just go after Fowler instead of creating a hole somewhere else? If 7 million dollars is really that big of an issue they can just trade Escobar and at least get some kind of value for him.

I wanted Fowler for a while because we needed a leadoff hitter. My guess is that Fowler will get a substantial raise, which may price him out of our ability to pay if we are going to get Hellickson and/or Nova, a 2B, and some bullpen pieces. But, I'd definitely like him at the right price.

11 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I agree. But we already have a leadoff hitter. I'd prefer Fowler but not at a crazy price AND losing Escobar.

Because you can replace him with a much better leadoff hitter and fill another need elsewhere by trading Escobar, if you sign a Walker type, you could have him at the top or even Kole hitting second, I'd prefer Trout there, but Scioscia. Fowler has more power than Escobar, he's faster than Yunel, he's a MUCH better baserunner than Escobar, and he's a defensive asset (especially if he moves to left field) which Escobar is not. Yunel's only strengths are his ability to make contact and his good OBP, that's it. I'd flip him for a reliever, save the $7 million, and try to snag Walker and Fowler. Let Marte sink-or-swim at third base. Escobar's "meh" at best. 

1. Fowler 2. (I'd hit Trout here and have Walker hitting third, but RBIZ!!!) Calhoun RF 3. Trout CF 4. Pujols DH 5. Walker 2B 6. Cron 1B 7. Marte 3B 8. Bandy/Perez C 9. Simmons SS

3 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Personally, I wouldn't hand Marte a starting job at any position just yet. 

I prefer him in a bench role/super sub, but if handing 3B to Marte means they plunk down for two guys like Fowler and Turner for LF and 2B I'll take my chances. You could even put Cowart or Pennington there if he falters (or move Turner back) and the offense would be fine. 

I prefer having Marte as a premium insurance option in case of injury to Pujols, Cron, or whomever mans 3B or LF.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

There isn't really anything worth buying at the store so I think most people agree with you. 

Yup, Chapman, Jansen, and Cespedes are the only players worth spending big money on this offseason, period. And I think we can find a productive LF for far less than what Cespedes will cost. 

We do have enough for at least one mid-tier guy and cheap vets, maybe two. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yup, Chapman, Jansen, and Cespedes are the only players worth spending big money on this offseason, period. And I think we can find a productive LF for far less than what Cespedes will cost. 

We do have enough for at least one mid-tier guy and cheap vets, maybe two. 

I'd throw in Melancon with that list, since he's gonna get paid. But yeah, we can find productive pieces without making a "big splash". 

Though I really hope they sign a reliever. It's a pretty good class for relievers and I think they need to take advantage. 

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'd throw in Melancon with that list, since he's gonna get paid. But yeah, we can find productive pieces without making a "big splash". 

Though I really hope they sign a reliever. It's a pretty good class for relievers and I think they need to take advantage. 

I didn't really see Melancon in the same class, but he has put up some great numbers now that I look at him closer. I wouldn't complain.

Still, Chapman and Jansen are on a whole other level of dominance. 

And I agree, I've stated elsewhere that I think we should be in on the elite relievers because it is not often they are available, and it's hard to develop them. Not impossible, but you can't really plan it. Way too flukey. Despite Arte this and Arte that, we're still a franchise that spends and has money. I would rather they upgrade the pen by throwing money at it than trading away prospects in a couple years.