• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Reading Between the Lines: Billy Eppler's Talk with Season Ticketholders

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I didn't really see Melancon in the same class, but he has put up some great numbers now that I look at him closer. I wouldn't complain.

Still, Chapman and Jansen are on a whole other level of dominance. 

And I agree, I've stated elsewhere that I think we should be in on the elite relievers because it is not often they are available, and it's hard to develop them. Not impossible, but you can't really plan it. Way too flukey. Despite Arte this and Arte that, we're still a franchise that spends and has money. I would rather they upgrade the pen by throwing money at it than trading away prospects in a couple years.

He's definitely not in the same class, but there are going to be quite a few teams looking for closers this offseason and once Jansen and Chapman are off the table Melancon is the next best thing. I realistically could see him getting something similar to what Papelbon got. 

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He's definitely not in the same class, but there are going to be quite a few teams looking for closers this offseason and once Jansen and Chapman are off the table Melancon is the next best thing. I realistically could see him getting something similar to what Papelbon got. 

Yup, wouldn't complain. He'd still be solid, and I think adding another plus arm with a track record of success would bode well for the next two years or so at least.

I realized this thought in another thread, but Eppler's comments about spending right up to the point where they don't lose draft picks, even going as far as paying penalties (such as what happened with our '16 amateur draft pool) makes me think that they will 1) be very adverse to losing a draft pick due to a QO-offered FA and 2) they will not be against going over the luxury tax, provided they are able to get back under that threshold at least by next offseason when Hamilton, Street, and Escobar come off. 

39 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I realized this thought in another thread, but Eppler's comments about spending right up to the point where they don't lose draft picks, even going as far as paying penalties (such as what happened with our '16 amateur draft pool) makes me think that they will 1) be very adverse to losing a draft pick due to a QO-offered FA and 2) they will not be against going over the luxury tax, provided they are able to get back under that threshold at least by next offseason when Hamilton, Street, and Escobar come off. 

The luxury tax will not be an issue if the team has no plans of targeting FA with QO attached.

42 minutes ago, totdprods said:

IMG_6059.JPG

On November 1, 2016 at 0:59 PM, totdprods said:

Could decline Escobar and use extra money to make a push for Fowler and Turner. Wouldn't address pitching, but could use Marte at 3B, Turner at 2B, and Fowler at LF and have one hell of an offense.

for some reason, you seem to think saving $7 million for one season is a lot of money. it isn't, especially when it comes with losing our our leadoff hitter we had been looking for since Figgy left. 

On November 1, 2016 at 5:01 PM, totdprods said:

Yup, Chapman, Jansen, and Cespedes are the only players worth spending big money on this offseason, period. And I think we can find a productive LF for far less than what Cespedes will cost. 

We do have enough for at least one mid-tier guy and cheap vets, maybe two. 

history has proven otherwise 

31 minutes ago, Lou said:

for some reason, you seem to think saving $7 million for one season is a lot of money. it isn't, especially when it comes with losing our our leadoff hitter we had been looking for since Figgy left. 

I've been one of the ones clamoring to keep Escobar because his value as a lead-off hitter far outweighs his power and defensive limitations. I liked how Escobar keeps us from relying on Calhoun or Simmons as a lead-off hitter, as I think they're best suited exactly where they hit now. Moving them, particularly Simmons, could add pressure and cause them to undo some of the development they've achieved.

I don't think $6m is a lot of money, but we still have some payroll limitations, and Marte (whom I also prefer to keep in a reserve role) as a viable 3B option for the minimum.

That extra $6m may be just enough to squeak in a player a tier up, or adding two-mid range players, or adding a vet catcher like Saltalamacchia. 

Also gives us a chance to throw around some different ideas from the back on forth on which LF to sign.

Suzuki, Saltalamacchia, Castro, and Avila are all solid options at catcher, decent defensively and offensively. Butera and Mathis are a couple glove-first options, Eppler mentioned he was seeking good defense in a catcher. Wieters seems a bit far fetched and expensive, and likelier to shift to a 1B/DH role in a couple years. Acquiring McCann would compare to Wieters. Navarro and Hundley are options as well, but far more offensive-oriented and not sure it would fit Eppler's MO.

Freeing up Escobar's $6m could make that route more doable. Could sign a really solid catcher for $6m/yr, or a good back-up and still have a couple mil for a vet middle reliever. 

I think Perez or Bandy could fetch a reasonably talented, young SP, 2B, 3B, or LF player in a trade. 

Throw our other $30m AAV available at a combo of available LF, 3B, SP, and 2B FAs and I think you have a solid approach at improving multiple parts of the club without shattering payroll or trading away key prospects. 

Scooter Gennett is a non-tender candidate for the Brewers as well, and would be a decent pick-up for second.

Derek Dietrich would be a great fit - he could play capably at second, third, or left, but the Marlins need pitching as badly as we do so we don't match up well unless we work in a third team.

Brock Holt would be interesting. Probably not strong enough for us to rely on as a starter, but a great UT player that'd take some pressure off needing to land a slam dunk with every other hole in the line-up.

White Sox could be on the brink of a mini-rebuild and may have interest in shedding contracts like Melky Cabrera or David Robertson, and need long-term help at catcher. Miguel Gonzales and Tyler Saladino would help the Angels. Brett Lawrie is a non-tender candidate who would be an interesting option to consider as well. 

Twins have a long-term need at catcher too, and a couple interesting young players who could be expendable in guys like Jorge Polanco, Eddie Rosario, and (eh) Robbie Grossman. 

Chris Young on the Red Sox is a guy Eppler and Martone have specifically targeted in the past while with the Yankees, and he could be squeezed from Boston's deep outfield with Benintendi's emergence. 

Tampa has a glut of MIFs with Forsythe, Miller, and Franklin, and had terrible production at catcher last year. Also need help in the pen and at 1B. This is one team that may pay a considerable price for Cron or Marte, should we put either of them on the block.

A lot of these guys probably fall within the realm of guys we could trade for. Price may be as low as prospects (the Alcantara, Nate Smith, Fletchers of the world, at most) or as high as a reliever like Morin, Guerra, or Ramirez, or a catcher like Perez or Bandy, but it goes to show there's a lot of options beyond the FAs out there to consider still.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I've been one of the ones clamoring to keep Escobar because his value as a lead-off hitter far outweighs his power and defensive limitations. I liked how Escobar keeps us from relying on Calhoun or Simmons as a lead-off hitter, as I think they're best suited exactly where they hit now. Moving them, particularly Simmons, could add pressure and cause them to undo some of the development they've achieved.

I don't think $6m is a lot of money, but we still have some payroll limitations, and Marte (whom I also prefer to keep in a reserve role) as a viable 3B option for the minimum.

That extra $6m may be just enough to squeak in a player a tier up, or adding two-mid range players, or adding a vet catcher like Saltalamacchia. 

Also gives us a chance to throw around some different ideas from the back on forth on which LF to sign.

huh? all I've read here is you saying we should trade him.

That $6 million isn't going to be the difference between getting a a real good player and not getting one. It's $6M for only one season. I highly doubt we're getting a top FA to sign a 1-yr deal. Cespedes sure as hell isn't signing one. Neither is Fowler. 

Also, when was the last time we here wanted a top FA and got him? 

We don't ever get a guy we want. 

And now I'm sad. Thanks a lot...

Edited by Lou

1 minute ago, Lou said:

huh? all I've read here is you saying we should trade him.

That $6 million isn't going to be the difference between getting a a real good player and not getting one. It's $6M for only one season. I highly doubt we're getting a top FA to sign a 1-yr deal. Cespedes sure as hell isn't signing one. Neither is Fowler. 

Also, when was the last time we here wanted a top FA and got him? 

We don't ever get a guy we want. 

??? Huh? I don't think I've ever said we should trade Yunel. I was one of the few arguing to keep him back when everyone was talking about how Cowart would be a better for because his glove was better. This thread I think was the first time I actually considered a 2017 where he was gone before the start of the year, solely because Eppler mentioned he wasn't decided on the option yet, which got me wondering why on earth he'd consider that. He may just be saying that, but it the fact it wasn't a quick yes got me wondering why Eppler would say that. 

At most I've said in other threads that we shouldn't be against taking offers on him, but I recommended setting a ridiculously high price, and making the move if someone met that price. Otherwise, I'm fine keeping him up until the '17 deadline when I imagine we will possibly be in a selling position again.

I also never said anything about signing anyone to a 1-yr deal. From what I can tell, we are about $30-35m AAV shy of the 2016 payroll. Signing two players in the $12-18m AAV (the Fowler, Turner, Walker, Nova, Melancons of the class) range basically maxes us out without addressing any other needs. Opening up another $6m  by declining Escobar gives you $6m more for 2017 to nab the budget guys - a reliever or two, a 4th OF, a vet UT IF, or a catcher if you get a bite on one of Perez/Bandy. 

That scenario above is well within reason. 

21 minutes ago, Lou said:

@totdprods we'd be stupid to trade Bundy, but I'd have no problem letting Morin go in a trade.

I could see the Twins considering moving Rosario for Morin,plus maybe a filler prospect. Polanco probably a little extra, he'd probably require a catcher. He was right on the border of Top 100 prospects lists. Think I'm getting him confused with another Twin, but the Twins still have enough need at catcher they'd maybe part with him for a long-term solution behind the plate.

@totdprods

my mistake, I should have said that all I've seen is you saying we should decline his option, not trade him.

and I realize you never said we should sign a top FA for one year. my point was that a $6M savings would only increase our chances of getting a good FA if it were a one year deal, otherwise it doesn't matter and letting Escobar go would be a big mistake.

On November 2, 2016 at 8:03 PM, totdprods said:

Opening up another $6m  by declining Escobar gives you $6m more for 2017 to nab the budget guys - a reliever or two, a 4th OF, a vet UT IF, or a catcher if you get a bite on one of Perez/Bandy. 

That scenario above is well within

well, I guess now you are saying to sign a guy(s) to a 1-yr deal with the $6 million.

that scenario is well with reason for whom? losing our leadoff hitter who hit .305 with an OBP of .355 to get a vet UT IF or a 4th OF would be a horrible move. 

also, I wouldn't trade Bundy 

plus, Bundy is cool.

"The 37 lockers inside Angel Stadium’s home clubhouse are almost uniformly unadorned. Players do not bother with them, except for Jett Bandy, the rookie catcher who has made his a shrine to his teammates since his May promotion.

“You know how when you have a desk at an office, you put pictures of all your friends and family up there?” Bandy said. “When I started, I was like, ‘Oh, I should put all my buddies up there.’ ” 

And so a teenage Mike Scioscia is represented via his double-A baseball card, as is former teammate Tim Lincecum as a San Francisco Giant, and most every 2016 Angel. There are more than 20 in all, and they take up most of the available space.

“It’s like a nice little collage,” Bandy said."

Bandy, 26, is the quirkiest Angel, and one easy to envision as a future franchise leader. With triple-A Salt Lake, he’d bring a referee shirt to the stadium and impersonate umpires for his teammates’ enjoyment. As an Angel, he conducts pregame pop quizzes about the opposing lineup, shouting across the clubhouse to see if anyone can name the No. 8 hitter and what position he’ll play."