• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jim Bowden: Newcomb for Upton?

http://baseball.realgm.com/wiretap/43145/Angels-Mariners-Royals-Interested-In-Justin-Upton

"A Sean Newcomb for Justin Upton deal could make sense for both the Angels and Padres. The Angels would get another big bat to put behind Mike Trout and Albert Pujols and have the means to re-sign Upton to a long-term deal, while the Padres would get a controllable No. 2 or 3 starter once Newcomb fully develops his breaking ball," writes Jim Bowden.

I desperately want a LF'er and would love Upton, but I don't think I'd be ok with giving up Newcomb. I'm all for trading away anyone not named Heaney or Newcomb at the deadline.

How would you guys feel about a Newcomb for Upton deal?

Bowden is terrible and usually talks out of his ass when it comes to possible deals.  That aside I don't know anything about Newcomb but the people here who do that I trust (Chuck and others) think he could be the best of the bunch of young pitchers acquired or drafted by DiPoto.  If that's the case the only way you move him is for a player under club control, with a reasonable contract or if it's a guy like Upton making it contingent on him signing an extension.  I know Arte will spend money on players he wants I just don't know if 20M a year to Upton is in his plans.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

it "sounds" about right, but i personally dont like it.  there are reasons a guy with that much talent is traded so much and if we are going to give up a top controllable young arm i want a top young controllable bat in return, but someone with that kind of price tag 

I'd consider it if he signed an extension. There's just something about 30 HR 20 SB and a good OBP I just can't resist. Upton has another 4-5 years left before he begins to tail off.

That being said, I don't believe Newcomb is a future #3, I believe he's a future #1-2. That's a lot to sacrifice and a lot if payroll to take on when if the Angels were actually interested in trading Nuke, they could get an elite hitting prospect with the upside to become Upton at the major league minimum.

Tough to say.

Also, if Jim Bowden is our next GM, I'd expect a dark period for the Angels. He has a tendency of thinking bad trades are good ideas.

Ive probably been one of the more vocal guys on here clamoring for upton, but this seems way too steep. I know nothing about gauging prospects, but i know newcomb projects very well. I wouldnt give that up for 3 months of a guy who might bounce...not even for the 2010 version of upton

I would consider a high end pitcher, but not him.

As far as the comment why hes traded so much, ive heard certain things that i wont say because i heard it third hand, and it could be a wrong perception by one person. I think the braves flipped him for the same reason they traded tex, to get younger.

He would be a huge upgrade though, id prefer him to cespedes, and really hope we at least kick the tires this winter

Can we please stop posting these Jim Bowden "pull a trade out of my ass" scenarios that he comes up with seemingly every week. Trading their top prospect and a top 100 prospect(#37 according to Baseball America's latest update) for a rental is the kind of short-sighted moves this org shouldn't be making

The Padres have arms, they need bats. So unless it's an elite arm like Newcomb, I don't think they'd be interested in trading for too much pitching like we can offer with the likes of Ellis, Smith and Rhoades.

I think they'd be looking for the offensive equivalent of that package.

Edited by ScottyA_MWAH

Also, if Jim Bowden is our next GM, I'd expect a dark period for the Angels. He has a tendency of thinking bad trades are good ideas.

I don't want Bowden here, I don't think he has any chance of coming here, but his track record as GM wasn't awful.  He actually made a lot of trades, many of them very shrewd trades.   He got Kevin Mitchell for what remained of Norm Charlton's arm -- a huge win.   He got Bret Boone for Bobby Ayala and I think Dan Wilson, again a pretty solid win for him.  He got Davis Wells, who he traded again for chump change.  Sean Casey for Dave Burba has to be considered a stupidly good trade as was Konerko and a pitcher for Jeff Shaw.  He was on the wrong end of the Paul O'Neill deal but, you have to figure that had Griffey been able to stay healthy, he would likely have been considered one of the better GMs of his era...  

But his articles at ESPN are awwwwwwful...

If you're doing a one for one deal for the best bat available then I would assume the cost will be something similar to this. Should the Angels pay it? No. If the Angels had a few guys with Newcombes upside would it be worth it when we might be one bat away? Perhaps. Mainly because we have the resources to sign him to an extension.

I think the deal is about right in terms of value for value - Newcomb is a potential #1-2 starter, probably a grade A- prospect at this point in Sickels' system, while Justin Upton is a 28-year old borderline star.

That said, Upton is NOT a star, in my opinion - not anymore. In fact, I'd say he's one of the most overrated players in baseball. He looked like he was going to be a star, even a superstar, in 2011 when he hit .289/.369/.529 with a 6.3 fWAR.  Consider that over the last four years, from 2012-15, he's accrued an fWAR of 11.0--tied with Erick Aybar and just below Howie Kendrick--which is good for 52nd among all major league regulars (and less than a third of Trout's total during that period!). His stat line during that time is .268/.347/.455 with an average of 22 HR. Hardly awe-inspiring.

Considering all that I'd say no to the deal. I'd much rather see the Angels trade a lesser talent for someone like Adam Lind, who is actually a better hitter than Upton.

Edited by Angelsjunky