• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jim Bowden: Newcomb for Upton?

To a point yes, but his 24 stolen bases this year aren't, and he is batting .292 as well. Plus he would be a huge improvement over Robertson, Joyce, etc.

he's batting .292 with half his games in coors field. care to guess what he's hitting on the road? it's 253. what's wild is that 9 of his 12 homeruns have been on the road. flukey.

he's batting .292 with half his games in coors field. care to guess what he's hitting on the road? it's 253. what's wild is that 9 of his 12 homeruns have been on the road. flukey.

Eh, I don't think every Rockies players should be written off because he plays in Coors. Seth Smith was a guy who had better numbers at Coors than on the road, and he went on to have a success with other teams.

Eh, I don't think every Rockies players should be written off because he plays in Coors. Seth Smith was a guy who had better numbers at Coors than on the road, and he went on to have a success with other teams.

Chris ianetta is proof of your point. He has actually hit better with the Angels than he did with the Rockies.

There was a recent FanGraphs article that pointed out the flaw in the Coors argument: http://www.fangraphs.com/plus/does-coors-field-make-rockies-batters-worse-on-the-road/

It is a FanGraphs + article but it seems like the basic premise is that hitters in Coors Field are pitched differently than they are on the road which impacts Rockies hitters splits.

Although I didn't read the article I have to suspect that Rockies hitters tend to see more pitches that keep the ball on the ground. This is just a guess on my part though. Might mess with them if they get the opposite on the road?

He's a product of the Coors effect.

You mean how if the Rockies haven't turned blue, the beer isn't cold enough yet (i.e. it's still possible to taste it) ?

Seth Smith did have pretty even splits the year before he left Colorado though so he had shown success.  And his numbers have fallen off a little from what they were. I do see your point though.

There was a recent FanGraphs article that pointed out the flaw in the Coors argument: http://www.fangraphs.com/plus/does-coors-field-make-rockies-batters-worse-on-the-road/

It is a FanGraphs + article but it seems like the basic premise is that hitters in Coors Field are pitched differently than they are on the road which impacts Rockies hitters splits.

Although I didn't read the article I have to suspect that Rockies hitters tend to see more pitches that keep the ball on the ground. This is just a guess on my part though. Might mess with them if they get the opposite on the road?

Yeah I never really thought about the fact that although Coors boosts home splits that it might also simultaneously decrease away splits.  I just always looked at their away splits as their true offensive ceiling.  It makes sense though that playing 81 games a year in a place where pitches don't do what they are supposed to can mess with hitters when they aren't there.  

Still.  Its one thing to take a risk on a FA from the Rockies, but you are risking a lot when you trade for one.  Especially if the Rockies value of him is based on his production that may or may not hold outside of Coors.

Justin Upton pulled in 5th

The Padres LF -- who has been the subject of trade rumors -- was taken out of the game without reason in the 5th as the Rockies lead 1-0 in a rain delay in San Diego.

MLB 9m