• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jim Bowden: Newcomb for Upton?

But if the contract saves you premiere prospects then you consider it

Exactly!  Melvin's power, speed and defense makes him an asset in a backup role.  He lost the confidence and structure in place it takes to be an offensive weapon as he was under Maddon, and I wouldn't bet on him rediscovering it.  However, the talent level as a 4th OF would be intriguing to say the least.  IF Upton were willing to sign an extension, I'm almost certainly trade Shoemaker, Joyce and Tropeano to the Padres in that situation. 

I couldn't under any circumstance trade Shoe AND Trop for Melvin Upton. 

It's not Napoli for Mr. Pop-Up Wells.    But Melvin Upton is already at that same low level that Wells was while playing here.

Nobody has suggested that trade, AO.

Great googly moogly...

Melvin Upton has been such an asset that he's managed to amass  a negative 2.0 WAR since 2013 -- a span of over 1,000 plate appearances.   This despite having had the comfort zone of playing with his brother... 

He's got all the talent in the world and the worst work ethic in baseball since Derek Bell proclaimed he was going on operation shutdown.  

Anyone that thinks spending 32 mil to have Upton be a backup OFer needs to get their melon checked.

So when Pujols got 240 million, Hamilton got 125 million, and CJ got 75 million I was critical but was told to stop because it wasn't our money 

but

now if the opportunity to get our bat would cost 32 million but we could keep our prospects everyone is concerned? 

Hell ya I do that deal and hope Hamilton has a relapse to recoup the funds. 

So when Pujols got 240 million, Hamilton got 125 million, and CJ got 75 million I was critical but was told to stop because it wasn't our money 

but

now if the opportunity to get our bat would cost 32 million but we could keep our prospects everyone is concerned? 

Hell ya I do that deal and hope Hamilton has a relapse to recoup the funds. 

Most on this board were against all the aforementioned deals, too. I was actaully neutral to slightly in favor of acquiring CJ, but against Pujols and extremely against Hamilton. 

Yeah, i think most of us were happy w the cj deal. Seemed great at the time

Seems like just yesterday a rotation of weave, cj, haren and santana seemed unstoppable....

It is mind boggling that that 2012 team failed to make the postseason. I expected them to fairly handily clinch the best regular season record without even knowing Trout would be an MVP candidate in a year the eventual winner won a triple crown. It was that season that caused me to turn my disapproval of Scioscia up to 11.  

Edited by ScottLux

Most on this board were against all the aforementioned deals, too. I was actaully neutral to slightly in favor of acquiring CJ, but against Pujols and extremely against Hamilton. 

I'd say most were ecstatic about Pujols, most were really happy about CJ, and Hamilton was split.  

Something tells me your rendition of this shifts a bit depending on the recent performances of CJ, Pujols and Hamilton, hmmm.  It's okay though, I have a selective memory as well on some issues.

We all have our takes of correct and incorrect predictions.

I thought GMJ was a sneaky good pick, and believed he'd do every year what he gave us his first year which was .270 30 DB 15 HR and 20 SB, solid. Boy was I wrong. I also believed Trumbo would never be more than a bench bat.

Then again, I was right about Richards, Wilson, Ham and Morales, so that counts.

I guess we'll see on Cron.

The ones I don't claim, Trout and Wells. I think everyone nailed those.

Bruce is having a decent bounce back of a season but he's still nowhere near where he was in terms of production and there's really no explanation why. Personally, I think I'd steer clear of Bruce mostly because the Angels need more of a sure thing at this point.

But if the market proved impossible to navigate, I'd still offer a minimal deal like Rhoades and that's it. I doubt the Angels intend to use whatever prospects they have to chase a SP when that's clearly not a team need.