• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jim Bowden: Newcomb for Upton?

I still don't understand why Dipoto got rid of JB Shuck. He was pretty decent when he was getting consistent ABs.

Say what you want, but he's significantly better than what we currently have in LF.

The 5 game series is silly, I would much rather they all be 7 games.  Trim up the regular season by a couple of games.

Agree completely all the series should be 7 games. Also, if the wild card system is kept, it should be a best of three series (all games at the home team of the top seed) No need to shorten the regular season. They could trim spring training, which most already feel is too long, then go back to having a doulbleheader once a month. 

There is a reason Jim Bowden works on the radio and doesn't have a GM job.

I would expect if he ever interviews for another GM job, if the person conducting the selection process is aware of this trade suggestion, Bowden would be removed from consideration on the spot.

I think C is a bigger problem than LF.  If angels make the playoffs they will have to get through the royals again and the royals will run all day on iannetta.

I dont see them beating the royals with huge holes in C, LF, and 3b.  Trade Newcomb for Schwarber.

Schwarber is likely to get called up for Friday.  They need him to fill in because of injuries.

Here's the link: http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/chicago-cubs-kyle-schwarber-call-up-catcher-prospect-miguel-montero-disabled-list-071615

Edited by tomsred

Lol when did Newcomb and Heaney become so good? Did I miss something, or are we just overvaluing our prospects per usual?

I personally wouldn't mind the trade if Upton signed an extension as soon as possible.

Maybe you were too busy watching women's soccer. Heaney in four games starting for the Angels 1.32 ERA.

Heaney was always this good, he just needed a minor adjustment.

Also something I just noticed. Skaggs used to be the top LHP prospect in baseball and is now an Angel. Heaney was the top LHP prospect in baseball and is again, now an Angel. Newcomb will likely be the top LHP prospect this next year, and he's an Angel.

With those three, Hector, CJ and Nate Smith, we could roll out a solid group of southpaws.

Maybe you were too busy watching women's soccer. Heaney in four games starting for the Angels 1.32 ERA.

Lmao, never.

We have a pitching overload with Weaver coming back, we still have Skaggs/Tropeano/Newcomb in the background. If we have to give away one of Heaney/Tropaeno/Newcomb/Skaggs for a good bat, we should do it. It's really not even about how good any of these guys are, it's the idea that we should hold onto all of them when we have other areas of needs and a team ERA that's in the top half of the league.

Right now with our current rotation, and Weaver being gone for a decent amount of time, we have a good pitching staff. That's without any of the guys in the minors/injured playing for us. You need to give good to get good, Upton may not be the guy but if somebody wants one of our good pitchers for their good bat, it should be considered.

Edited by Halos of Anaheim

Yep, detroit is getting themselves in a crunch. No idea what their minors look like, but their big guns at the majors are getting long in the tooth.

I like mcab as much as the next guy, but that contract is going to be very ugly in a few years. No idea what they were thinking when they did that.

I could get paying Cabrera that much if he were a year or less away from free agency but they bought out three years of a relatively friendly contract to give him a ten year extension. A lot can change in three years such as chronic injury issues during up. A lot of risk for no good reason. Edited by ScottLux

When it comes to upton, I think many here are confusing production with potential.

Yes upton appears to have a lot of talent. He was extremely hyped as a prospect. He had a couple very good seasons with the diamondbacks. Since then, his desire and work ethic has come in question. He's been hurt a lot. As far as actual on the field production, the past five years he's been barely above average. In the NL

Is he really the fix we're looking for? For a rental?

He's also unbelievably streaky. He looks like superman one month, and then the next three he'll look like the worst hitter in baseball. What if we get the crap upton for the second half of the season, and give up Newcombe for it?

Dating back to 2011, he has an OPS+ of 125. That is not barely above average. Upton would help this team quite a bit and would be great to put behind Albert. That said, the price is too high in this case but calling him barely above average is completely false. 

I wouldn't even give up Ellis for Upton. This team should acquire someone less costly or win with what they have on the field. Don't sacrifice the future for a guy who, most likely, will have almost no impact on our odds of winning the division and then going far into the playoffs.

Would you guys sign upton in the offseason?

I agree, hes never lived up to the potential. And i agree he'll be overpaid, and will probably start to decline in a few years. But i see it as a beltre situation. We held off because of cost and it bit us in the ass. Bot because there werent other bats out there, but there werent any that play 3B. Looking forward, theres no bats hitting free agency soon, and we need one really bad.

Upton here would probably hit something like 270, 340 obp with 25ish home runs. Basically what hamilton should have been, but with better speed and defense. Obviously thats not worth the 20 a year or so that he'll likely get, but todays 25 home run guy (with good on base skills) is yesterdays 35 home run guy. And being that there arent very many, especially available ones, its going to cost, either if its upton or someone else.

Id prefer (like you guys) to trade an arm for a younger, cheaper guy who fits better long term, i just dont see that happening.

Would you guys sign upton in the offseason?

I agree, hes never lived up to the potential. And i agree he'll be overpaid, and will probably start to decline in a few years. But i see it as a beltre situation. We held off because of cost and it bit us in the ass. Bot because there werent other bats out there, but there werent any that play 3B. Looking forward, theres no bats hitting free agency soon, and we need one really bad.

Upton here would probably hit something like 270, 340 obp with 25ish home runs. Basically what hamilton should have been, but with better speed and defense. Obviously thats not worth the 20 a year or so that he'll likely get, but todays 25 home run guy (with good on base skills) is yesterdays 35 home run guy. And being that there arent very many, especially available ones, its going to cost, either if its upton or someone else.

Id prefer (like you guys) to trade an arm for a younger, cheaper guy who fits better long term, i just dont see that happening.

I was on the Upton train early then off it but now back on... I'd take 270/340 with 25 home runs from our likely to be #5 hitter anyday. Upton also has 17 stolen bases, do we even have 17 as a team? Would you keep Gia leadoff and have Upton hit 5th or move Gia back to 9 and move everyone up a spot?

Looking ahead if we did sign a bat like Upton it'd allow us to settle at third with say Kubitza who probably isn't going to bring much offensively but that would be ok as long as our big 3 produce. Even for the remainder of this year it would slide Freese down a spot or two and besides a double here and there we wouldn't need to rely on him as much which is good.

It would be nice if we had a bat ready in the farm but to my knowledge we don't, so it looks like we're going to have to pay for offense and continue to develop pitching which may be the cheaper route to go anyway. With all these young guys coming up and contributing it'll be interesting to see what kind of contracts guys like Cespedes and Upton receive this offseason. I could see Upton getting something similar to what Hamilton got.