• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jim Bowden: Newcomb for Upton?

No thank you  to this stinker of a deal...Upton will get overpaid next year by a lot and I just hope Arte continues to keep his wallet in his pocket

Also, don't get the Cespedes love.  Besides the arm, and his rookie year, he's been pretty inconsistent offensively.  2013-2014 he posted .250 .300 OBP .740 OPS.  You're essentially betteing on him duplicating his numbers in the first half of this season going forward...don't know if I buy it.

No thank you  to this stinker of a deal...Upton will get overpaid next year by a lot and I just hope Arte continues to keep his wallet in his pocket

Also, don't get the Cespedes love.  Besides the arm, and his rookie year, he's been pretty inconsistent offensively.  2013-2014 he posted .250 .300 OBP .740 OPS.  You're essentially betteing on him duplicating his numbers in the first half of this season going forward...don't know if I buy it.

It's depends on how high the FA bidding gets.   If we can get him for say 4 years/$60-70 million, do it.    But not for Hackilton type money! 

On the subject of Chris Ellis, at this point I'm kind of hesitant to deal him away.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Agreed re: Cespedes. I think he's the type of player a lot of posters will clamor for, and then when they see him play every day they'll end up hating him.

No, no, and no. Sean Newcomb is our potential future staff ace and shouldn't be traded for just a rental player unless that player's name is Mike Trout.

Personally I could see a trade of two "lesser" pitchers or one "lesser" pitcher and a couple of positional prospects.

Frankly it really depends on whether or not the Padres want quality over quantity. I could see something like Nick Tropeano plus another pitching or positional prospect if they want quality. Otherwise it might be something like Deloach or Smith plus 2-4 other pitching and position prospects. Something like that.

Edited by ettin

I don't want Bowden here, I don't think he has any chance of coming here, but his track record as GM wasn't awful.  He actually made a lot of trades, many of them very shrewd trades.   He got Kevin Mitchell for what remained of Norm Charlton's arm -- a huge win.   He got Bret Boone for Bobby Ayala and I think Dan Wilson, again a pretty solid win for him.  He got Davis Wells, who he traded again for chump change.  Sean Casey for Dave Burba has to be considered a stupidly good trade as was Konerko and a pitcher for Jeff Shaw.  He was on the wrong end of the Paul O'Neill deal but, you have to figure that had Griffey been able to stay healthy, he would likely have been considered one of the better GMs of his era...  

But his articles at ESPN are awwwwwwful...

One of the very few trades Stoneman made was with Bowden.  Jose Guillen (after the blow up with Scioscia) for Izturis and Juan Rivera.  Advantage Stoneman.....

You guys act like players like Justin upton grow on trees. At the end of the day newcomb is a prospect who could be great or could be a bust or get injured. Uptin solves a lot of our problems. And with Heaney pitching well and Skaggs coming back we have young arms. Upton rolls out of bed and hits 25 HR's

I'm anxiously waiting for the narrative changes over the next couple of weeks. If the Angels don't make a move it is because of Stoneman. If the Angels do make a move that people don't like it is because of Scioscia. Is that about right? If so who gets the credit if it is a trade that is disliked at the time (ala Huston Street) but turns out to be a great impactful trade? My guess is the credit would go to Servais or that other guy.

Would you guys consider trading Newcombe for Will Myers? That would be a more favorable deal if Myers were healthy. Young with upside, not horribly expensive, and controllable past this year.

Wrists are a tricky thing.  It isn't a death sentence for hitters, but it can take away all semblance of production for anywhere from half a season to two years.  Myers was probably going to be an every year all-star after his rookie year, but he injured his wrist.  He came back strong this year after being terrible last year and now his other wrist is hurt. 

To me, this means he's probably done in terms of production for this year.  He probably won't be terribly useful next year either.  These things take a LONG time to build back up and heal.  But the year after next year, if both are healed up, I think you'll see Myers as the type of guy that'll hit 20-30 HR's with a good BA/OBP and fair amount of SB and corner OF defense.  But by then, he might have been released already. 

So no, I wouldn't trade Newcomb for Myers.  I'd wait until the all-star break next or next offseason and trade a much lower prospect for him and reap the benefits.  You just have to be patient. 

Wrists are a tricky thing.  It isn't a death sentence for hitters, but it can take away all semblance of production for anywhere from half a season to two years.  Myers was probably going to be an every year all-star after his rookie year, but he injured his wrist.  He came back strong this year after being terrible last year and now his other wrist is hurt. 

To me, this means he's probably done in terms of production for this year.  He probably won't be terribly useful next year either.  These things take a LONG time to build back up and heal.  But the year after next year, if both are healed up, I think you'll see Myers as the type of guy that'll hit 20-30 HR's with a good BA/OBP and fair amount of SB and corner OF defense.  But by then, he might have been released already. 

So no, I wouldn't trade Newcomb for Myers.  I'd wait until the all-star break next or next offseason and trade a much lower prospect for him and reap the benefits.  You just have to be patient. 

Yep,

Callaspo showed XBH prowess in KC for 1.5 seasons (some 80 XBHs and .800+ OPS), and then hurt his wrist in mid-2010 and was truly never the same again.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Newcomb straight up for Upton is honestly a fair trade. It's either give up your top guy for Upton or your next 3-4 top guys for Upton.

One year of Kendrick gave the Angels a top 30 prospect. A half year of Upton could very likely cost a top 50 prospect.

Not saying I'd do it. Just saying that it isn't unreasonable. It will all come down to what the Padres want.