• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Name Change....

You're righht. Interesting that locals call that area Independence. Hmm, but you're right ;-)

You're both right.

Independence is basically a suburb of Kansas City or region of KC....like Irvine to Orange County or Santa Monica to LA.

The stadiums are in Jackson County and closer to the Independence part, but people still refer to it as KC. People in Independence also simply say KC out of convenience just like someone from Baldwin Park would simply say LA.

The equivalent would be something like the Dallas Cowboys playing in Arlinton, TX or the Detroit Pistons playing in Auburn Hills, MI

Your argument is correct though. These teams generate more advertising dollars and income from being major cities and media markets than being the Independence Chiefs or Arlington Rangers/Cowboys.

So you're both kind of right.

As an Angels fan for over 50 years, I've been a fan through all the names and even when they played at Dodgers Stadium. I couldn't care less about the "of Anaheim" thing.

And for those that think they put LA in front so that ESPN would give them more attention, just put the bong down now! They couldn't give a crap about any team not based in the Eastern time zone.

The St Petersburgh Rays got their asses kicked yesterday.

I am looking forward to the Santa Clara 49ers season.  It should be a good one.  They should have good battles with the Arlington Cowboys and the Landover Redskins.

In the NBA, I really am interested to see if the Auburn Hills Pistons will turn it around.

NY Jets and NY Giants both play in New Jersey...

The New York Giants are a professional American football team located in the New York metropolitan area. The Giants are currently members of the East Division of the National Football Conference (NFC) in the National Football League (NFL). The team plays its home games in East Rutherford, New Jersey at MetLife Stadium, which it shares with the New York Jets in a unique arrangement.

The New York Giants are a professional American football team located in the New York metropolitan area. The Giants are currently members of the East Division of the National Football Conference (NFC) in the National Football League (NFL). The team plays its home games in East Rutherford, New Jersey at MetLife Stadium, which it shares with the New York Jets in a unique arrangement.

Anaheim is located in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. 

If the Rams move to Hollywood Park, should they go by the Inglewood Rams or the LA Rams?

At least they would be in LA County.  

But with football.  Does it really matter what name is in front?  Green Bay does pretty well for themselves.

How much extra are you willing to pay for the historical baseball monuments?  If the Angels stay in Angel Stadium another 50 years will it also be a historical baseball monument?  Will the rats then be historical rats? Would they then be able to charge 50% more, because "HOLY SHIT MIKE TROUT PLAYED THERE!!!!!111!!!!"?  Does being the fourth oldest park in MLB up their historical context or would the Angels need to go 80+ years before their next WS win before the Stadium gains monument status?  

I just want to understand what the ground rules are so I better understand when you again talk out both sides of your mouth.

lol the historical rats had me laughing hard.  you obviously have some personal issue with me, but keep up the ranting, its funny as hell.

Lambeau Field is in Green Bay.  The land was originally not a part of Green Bay but was later annexed onto the city of Green Bay.

Point is.  If they called themselves the Inglewood Rams.  It probably would not make a difference in the NFL.  All the teams make such ridiculous amount of cash, just from the national tv deal that they could call themselves whatever they wanted.

Nate, you've been beating the NFL drum on this for years, but (at least to me) there is no correlation.

No NFL team ever won a league championship; didn't move; then changed their name while staying put.

The NY Giants, NY Jets, Detroit Pistons, Dallas Cowboys, SF 49ers, et al *started* in their hometown proper; *then* moved without changing their name.

The Angels were in their hometown proper (Anaheim) and then glommed onto the bigger name, while never moving.

Marketing is a multi billion dollar industry, so I don't think it is BS.  It is what made Arte a billionaire.

People wouldn't hate the name if they were the Los Angeles Angels which is what Arte wanted but Anaheim forced the of Anaheim part from the stadium lease.

I think you're missing the point.  Marketing is often all about creating value out of thin air.  That's what I meant about BS..    Good marketing is oftentimes just a gimmick.

and this is whats bullshit. The f*cking royals not only lie about what city they play in, but the state too! They need to change the name to missouri city royals

The Royals are still in Missouri--the state that Kansas City is in. How is that lying about what state they are in?

Such a pet peeve when people out here think Kansas City is in Kansas or simply call it Kansas and mean the city.

Think of Kansas City as a big circle with a river going through it (the Missouri River), the left side is Kansas and the right side is Missouri.

I grew up in OC, lifetime Angels fan, at game 5 in 86 (Moore) and at game 6 in 02, if you care about bonafides. Seen it all from the Halos. I live in LA, but I don't root for the Dodgers. That said I have no problem with them or their fans.

The fact that we are still talking about the name change which was obviously a smart move is rather silly but hey it's a "discussion board."

The fact that anyone in OC still looks at LA and feels superior to this "rathole" would be sad if it wasn't so downright hilarious. Anyone with an ounce of culture knows this, and knows why.

But just keep enjoying the bubble in which you dwell.