• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Name Change....

You have an awful understanding of things. I am assuming you know that most high revenue teams have a better chance of competing, right? Also it wasn't just pride that caused Arte to "trade" Hamilton, it very well could be a handful of other things, most notably doing what he thought was right for the team on and off the field.

Weve had this argument before. Apparently being named LA brings in a ton of revenue that I am not aware of, whereas being named Anaheim is some sort of hinderence.

One thing is for certain, regardless of what people around the world think, this team will not win over the LA market, probably not even with a World Series title. Shouldnt our attendance numbers be higher since its in the "LA metropolis area" and supposedly people in LA care about the Angels? That might be because people who attend Angel games arent going through 2 hours traffic on the 5 freeway and they actually live in Orange County.

Weve had this argument before. Apparently being named LA brings in a ton of revenue that I am not aware of, whereas being named Anaheim is some sort of hinderence.

One thing is for certain, regardless of what people around the world think, this team will not win over the LA market, probably not even with a World Series title. Shouldnt our attendance numbers be higher since its in the "LA metropolis area" and supposedly people in LA care about the Angels? That might be because people who attend Angel games arent going through 2 hours traffic on the 5 freeway and they actually live in Orange County.

We are arguing two different things. I don't believe the team will win over LA regardless of what they call the team, unless they start to win championship after championship. The name change wasn't about winning over fans it was about TV revenue.

Ticket sales are only a part of the money the Angels generate.  The TV deal, merch sales, etc makes them a lot of money and if you don't think having a broader audience is good for that then you should never go into business.

We are arguing two different things. I don't believe the team will win over LA regardless of what they call the team, unless they start to win championship after championship. The name change wasn't about winning over fans it was about TV revenue.

So Arte is tricking potential advertisers into thinking they are marketing to the LA audience. Guess he does know how to run a business. :P

So Arte is tricking potential advertisers into thinking they are marketing to the LA audience. Guess he does know how to run a business. :P

Well technically they are marketing to the LA audience, since FSW is in most households in LA.

Well technically they are marketing to the LA audience, since FSW is in most households in LA.

I wonder how many households in LA are actually watching Angels games?  Im guessing that must be a factor in how much TV revenue is obtained.

Dodgers games are on in the Orange County area as well.  I get the Dodgers channel but I never watch it.  Im guessing it would be the same for Dodger fans in LA as it pertains to watching Angel games.

I wonder how many households in LA are actually watching Angels games?  Im guessing that must be a factor in how much TV revenue is obtained.

Dodgers games are on in the Orange County area as well.  I get the Dodgers channel but I never watch it.  Im guessing it would be the same for Dodger fans in LA as it pertains to watching Angel games.

You're doing a lot of guessing

Lots of people in OC watch Dodgers games.

I'm sure LA has baseball fans that just want to watch the sport just like OC does. Also LA probably has a fair share of people who are Dodger fans first Angel fans second, remember we are fanatics, not everyone is like us.

Well I guess ill just live with it and hope that the TV revenue does some good for this team.  I wont be a fan of the decision seeing as how I dont think the name is fitting, but oh well.  Guess we can bury this argument for now. :P

2014.  According to this.1.66 rating, 94k per game.  

http://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2014/08/05/mlb-telecasts-on-regional-sports-networks-dominate-prime-time-television/

Doggies aren't listed.  But according to this 0.8 rating.  -70% drop from a year before. lol

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/09/29/Media/MLB-RSNs.aspx

As for the TV revenue.  Isn't it just the contract that we have with Fox?  I would think advertising and whatever cable companies pay to show FSW or not show Comccast (lol) goes to the station.  Because they are the one's that are paying that big local broadcast fee.

Why should we care that people dont know where Anaheim is? That didnt stop the Ducks from keeping their name.

just playing devils advocate here, but what happened to "the mighty ducks of anaheim"?...wo maybe they didnt change the city, but they changed the name to appeal to a broader fanbase (as opposed to the disney family image the earlier went with).

Annual revenues are up almost $200 Million from 2002 and

the  team is valued @ $1.3 Billion (about 6X's what it was in 2002)

i'd say he's doing ok

The LA metro area does have Angels fans who are NOT Dodgers fans, as well -- I am one of them.

The Angels originally started out in LA; there's the argument about keeping the name to recognize that heritage. There's the point that LA is more well known than Anaheim and thus easier for non-local viewers to grasp -- the same way the Diamondbacks, Rockies and Rangers don't use the name of the cities they're actually in, but use the more recognizable state names. Or the way the NY Jets and Giants in football don't actually play in NY.

I like having LA in the name, but quite honestly I don't care if the team is officially called the California West Coast Angels of Anaheim Which is in Orange County but Near Los Angeles or whatever. They're just going to be called the Angels regardless. I would rather worry about what they do on the field than the city name.

was gonna make a similar point. Most of the other major cities are built up. LA is built out. It had to be because of geography and earthquakes. Frisco is prettier, san diego too, but get outside of the tourist areas and it turns just as shitty.

As far as comparing LA to the other cities back east,its apples and oranges. Manhatten (which most think 'is' nyc) has older architectural structures, so does boston and DC. And i love thise cities specifically because of it. But again, youre talking about cities with buildings that are 150 years old, different design concepts. (Especially so in europe). LA is like berlin. Its got its gems, but most of it is nowhere near as nice as cities like paris or london. Berlin was leveled and rebuilt in newer times, hence why the architecture isnt as classic.

On the flip side, the other major US cities have shittier ghettos by far and away. As bad as LA is id put places like st louis, detroit, oakland, trenton etc way on front. Same concept. The crime is probably the same, but the buildings are way older so it looks worse. Id almost put the inland empire as shittier.

And lets be honest, unless you live at the beach, south of the 405 or east of the 55, most of orange county isnt anything 'beautiful'. Most of anaheim isnt any better than all but the real butthole of LA (south and east LA). Anaheim ends at the 5/91 interchange. If you stay on the 5 north 2 exits later youre in LA county, and it shows. Doubt many can tell the difference between west anaheim, buena park, la habra, etc from la county cities.

This. LA has a tremendous amount of wonderful things to offer -- amazing art and literary scenes, lots of diversity, beautiful landmarks and natural areas like Griffith Park, Palos Verdes and so much more. I'd challenge anyone here to spend some time tidepooling in Palos Verdes, surfing in Malibu or hiking at Vasquez Rocks (which is actually in LA County), and then tell me it's a smoggy cesspool. And the various areas in the Greater LA area are so different from each other that in some ways, going from one to another is like going to completely different counties.

And in terms of crime, as per the FBI's crime rankings and other rankings, Los Angeles doesn't even place in the top 10 most dangerous cities. Places like Detroit, Oakland, St Louis, Baltimore, Newark, etc. are way ahead of it. http://lawstreetmedia.com/crime-america-2015-top-10-dangerous-cities-200000-2/

Edited by AngelsSurfer