• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Name Change....

Dude, I talked to the people who had part in the process, Jay Johnstone in particular. That's one of the biggest reasons, straight from the horses mouth. 

If you had no idea that the Angels weren't part of the second largest media market before, and all it took was Arte changing the name from "Anaheim Angels" to "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", you should be fired from your job.

If you had no idea that the Angels weren't part of the second largest media market before, and all it took was Arte changing the name from "Anaheim Angels" to "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", you should be fired from your job.

You guys are impossible. 

Large media buyers In NY base their $ amount on what line you are on a page (market size), so if your name is on line 28, you aren't going to get same amount of dollars as line #2. Thats a fact. I know this. I work in the industry. 

Small market teams have less $$ than Major market teams for a reason. Doesnt mean they cant win, KC, Angels in 2002 etc..but there is a reason why NY, Chicago and Los Angeles teams have more $$$ than anyone else. TV $$$ and Advertising $$ is why. Arte wanted in on that #2 money, and he has achieved that with the name change. 

Edited by Carlota69

You guys are impossible. 

Large media buyers In NY base their $ amount on what line you are on a page (market size), so if your name is on line 28, you aren't going to get same amount of dollars as line #2. Thats a fact. I know this. I work in the industry. 

okay, I will play along:  *SPECIFICALLY* what dollars did Arte get from slapping "LA of Anaheim" on?  Be specific.

okay, I will play along:  *SPECIFICALLY* what dollars did Arte get from slapping "LA of Anaheim" on?  Be specific.

I dont have the Angels Accounting records, so I cant say specifically, but it is common knowledge that The Angels are worth more $$ now by a lot then they were when he bought them. They were also able to get that HUGE TV contract a couple of years ago bc of the name change (Again capitilizing on #2 market identity), and since have been able to pay large amounts of $$$ to free agents and sign Trout to a pretty large deal all the while dancing on the luxury tax line. That money didnt just fall out of the sky.

That wasnt happening when we were considered a medium/small market team. 

Edited by Carlota69

You guys are impossible. 

Shouldn't that line # be # of viewers?  Doesn't matter what the size of the market is, if no one is watching.  

*shakes my head* - so no specifics. 

EVERY team is worth a lot more $$ now than in 2004.  Rising tide lifts all boats.  You attribute the fantastic RSN tv deal to the name change, I attribute it to the fact that the inventory for live programming is very small, and these contracts for all teams have become very valuable.

Shouldn't that line # be # of viewers?  Doesn't matter what the size of the market is, if no one is watching.  That does fall into the equation, but again, it starts with market size

That does come into play of course, but it starts with market size. Market # 2 is going to get allocated more money to work with than market #28 when it comes to the buyers. But yeah if your viewership is down that will affect dollars as well. 

*shakes my head* - so no specifics. 

EVERY team is worth a lot more $$ now than in 2004.  Rising tide lifts all boats.  You attribute the fantastic RSN tv deal to the name change, I attribute it to the fact that the inventory for live programming is very small, and these contracts for all teams have become very valuable.

Yes, but not every team still has the $$ that large market teams have, even though every team is worth more. And Arte has been praised at how far he has brought the team in worth. And how can I have specifics if I dont have the teams financial records lol

Look, I talked directly to one of the guys who worked with Arte on the change, a guy who goes/went into Budweiser and sells the team. Thats what he told me. Plain and simple. Believe it or dont. 

Edited by Carlota69

You guys are impossible.

Small market teams have less $$ than Major market teams for a reason. Doesnt mean they cant win, KC, Angels in 2002 etc..but there is a reason why NY, Chicago and Los Angeles teams have more $$$ than anyone else. TV $$$ and Advertising $$ is why. Arte wanted in on that #2 money, and he has achieved that with the name change.

Literally nothing else changed about the market. The TV territory did not expand. The logo did not change to reflect the city. The stadium did not move. If an advertiser is willing to pay lots of extra money for literally zero extra market share then either they are terrible at their jobs, or marketing is 95% BS.

Literally nothing else changed about the market. The TV territory did not expand. The logo did not change to reflect the city. The stadium did not move. If an advertiser is willing to pay lots of extra money for literally zero extra market share then either they are terrible at their jobs, or marketing is 95% BS.

haha, that's what I would think, but whaddaya know?

I get why thats a question, and I get why you think that, but its more than that (or maybe less). NY buyers only look at market size on the sheet, numbers etc. They dont live in LA or Anaheim and have personal connections to the team or city. And even if they did, they are dictated to buy a certain way. Being affected by their just cut and dry way of buying, I find it frustrating, but you have to play the game. Arte did.

For example:

NY Buyers have been told by McDonalds to buy only Top 20 markets. So the buyers grab their sheet and look at top 20 markets and allocate $ based on viewership size, ratings etc...If The Angels are still, on paper, considered market #28, they dont get McDonalds money, even though they are on TV in market #2. Its very black and white, cut and dry. NY doesnt look deeper than that. they just dont. So now, Angels,on paper, even though nothings changed but the name, are considered market #2. They are now going to get some McyDs $$.

Edited by Carlota69

You sort of nailed it there....   marketing (packaging) can at times be totally BS.

Marketing is a multi billion dollar industry, so I don't think it is BS.  It is what made Arte a billionaire.

People wouldn't hate the name if they were the Los Angeles Angels which is what Arte wanted but Anaheim forced the of Anaheim part from the stadium lease.

The problem with this theory is that Anaheim is not a media market, nor is any other part of Orange County according to Nielsen or any other rankings. Every media outlet available in OC comes out of Los Angeles, at least the ones that "New York" would concern themselves with.

Marketing is a multi billion dollar industry, so I don't think it is BS. It is what made Arte a billionaire.

People wouldn't hate the name if they were the Los Angeles Angels which is what Arte wanted but Anaheim forced the of Anaheim part from the stadium lease.

Other billion dollar industries: homeopathic remedies, anti-aging creams, weight loss miracles, light beer.

Other billion dollar industries: homeopathic remedies, anti-aging creams, weight loss miracles, light beer.

Oil, electricity, sports, television, etc.

You, and/or science might disagree with them but that doesn't make them BS, just the people that consume them.