• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Name Change....

Pretty much.

I was reading I'm Forbes or WSJ about how there is basically a waiting list to jump on sports franchises. Arte has gotten it to great heights, but every team in damn near every sport is exponentially growing.

It's a great investment.

thats why you always have to roll your eyes when teams complain about losing money. The reality is every major sports team could put up a for sale aign tomorrow and if they chose to, could sell for asking price by the afternoon. But none of them want to...even 'losing' teams are making huge money. This is why i cant ever really fault the players for beeing greedy. The owners are making far more than people realize. Not sauing that money belongs to the players, but ibcant fault them for trying to get as much as they can like their boss is.

Your argument would make sense if the Bronx was not a part of New York. Anaheim is not a part of Los Angeles nor is it affiliated with Los Angeles. But I already know what youre going to say next, the Jets and Giants play in New Jersey.

This is my last one I promise!

Ready to have your world rocked?

The bronx isnt in NY county either

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_New_York

"New york city" is more of a region than a city. Each burrogh is its own county, with individual cities in it.

It just seems different because its a different system here (in california).

Anaheim to downtown LA is about the same distance as santa monica to downtown. Malibu to downtown. Its the same distance from queens to manhatten.

As locals everyone can have their identity, and thats totally normal. But to outsiders its all the same. Orange county is a suberb of LA for all intents and purposes.

Think of it like this, would anaheim be 'more LA' if it were located in palmdale (la county)? Or catalina?

Ready to have your world rocked?

The bronx isnt in NY county either

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_New_York

"New york city" is more of a region than a city. Each burrogh is its own county, with individual cities in it.

It just seems different because its a different system here (in california).

Anaheim to downtown LA is about the same distance as santa monica to downtown. Malibu to downtown. Its the same distance from queens to manhatten.

As locals everyone can have their identity, and thats totally normal. But to outsiders its all the same. Orange county is a suberb of LA for all intents and purposes.

Think of it like this, would anaheim be 'more LA' if it were located in palmdale (la county)? Or catalina?

Okay, the New Yorker is weighing in again here to clarify.

NYC is an official city that is basically set up like a mini-USA. There are five different "states" (boros) that are designated as their own counties with their own boro presidents, but are ALL united as one city. All five counties -- that's NY (Manhattan), The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island -- make up New York City. They all follow NYC laws, pay NYC taxes, are in the NYC school system, etc. All of those areas have city council representatives to a City Council that makes decisions for the entire city. All of those counties are under one mayor. The city has very clearly delineated borders that encompass those five boros.

Within each boro you will find different neighborhoods, and yes, you might tell someone you live in Red Hook, College Point or Riverdale specifically. You might address your mail to Brooklyn instead of NYC. However, those are neighborhoods, NOT registered cities or towns with their own government, much in the same way Venice and Mar Vista are neighborhoods in the city of Los Angeles and use those in their addresses.

Anything outside of the five boros is NOT part of New York City.

The New York Mets and Yankees represent the city in which they are located. The Bronx and Queens are in New York City. That is entirely different from the Jets and Giants, who play across the river in New Jersey. NJ is an entirely different state. It's the equivalent of a team playing in Arizona and calling themselves a California team.

And that Wikipedia link is to a list of counties for the entire STATE of New York. not just the city. The city's

Edited by AngelsSurfer

Thats my mistake, i thought the neighborhood names were their own towns, my mistake.

But if im understanding this correctly, each burrough is its own county? 5 making up the 'city' of new york?

Yes, that's exactly right. Each of the five boros is a county; together they form NYC. It's like the Voltron lions when they assemble; lots of parts coming together as one. :) And NYC is a real incorporated city, not a "city."

The counties in NYC are very different than regular counties in that they don't have the power to make their own laws and ordinances and such. All municipal services, schools, taxes, are centralized. If you're in Queens you're in the same school system, pay the same sales tax and follow the same laws as someone over in Staten Island, etc. The only exception to that is the library system for some reason -- Brooklyn and Queens each have their own library system while the other three boros have the NY Public Library system. The boro presidents, etc. are pretty much the equivalent of spokespeople or advocates -- they talk to the residents in their boros, report back to the City Council on what people want, and can file proposals to City Council, but they don't have power to make laws on their own.

There are a bunch of reasons for the counties -- one is that the boros actually all joined NYC at different times (Brooklyn was actually its own city until 1895 IIRC and was not connected to NYC at all, for example). Another is for organization's sake -- there are so many people that it is easier to subdivide. It's a lot easier for someone in, say, Staten Island, to go to their local county courthouse to get something done than to try to trek to lower Manhattan to do it.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

thats why you always have to roll your eyes when teams complain about losing money. The reality is every major sports team could put up a for sale aign tomorrow and if they chose to, could sell for asking price by the afternoon. But none of them want to...even 'losing' teams are making huge money. This is why i cant ever really fault the players for beeing greedy. The owners are making far more than people realize. Not sauing that money belongs to the players, but ibcant fault them for trying to get as much as they can like their boss is.

Pretty much.

You figure players wouldn't make what they do if owners didn't make enough to offer those contracts. At the same time, I have yet to see a franchise in trouble, fold, or worry about collapsing because of giving out a specific contract to a player.