• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Josh Hamilton to Texas Rangers (Official)

If they cut him, he signs with Texas, the Angels get no relief and whatever he makes in Texas is on top of what he makes with the Angels.

I don't see how this is hard to understand.  His no-trade clause makes it impossible to trade him without his consent.  This isn't difficult.

Then don't trade him.  Very simple.  Don't reward his terrible behavior.  There is obviously more to it.  The MLBPA had to have a hand in all of this.

Then don't trade him.  Very simple.  Don't reward his terrible behavior.  There is obviously more to it.  The MLBPA had to have a hand in all of this.

Don't trade him and then what?  He clearly didn't want to play here.  You want him taking up a roster spot or out there with that awful hack swing.  Crap, Josh has been awful the last two seasons, imagine how bad a pouty, sad sack Josh would play.

No thanks.  The Angels made a bunch of mistakes leading up to this moment.  Plenty of poor decisions from the signing, to believing that an addict will keep their promise, from releasing information about the issue, to making comments that limited their ability to make a trade, to appearing to not back a player.  All of those things were mistakes IMO.

However this last move is about the best they could do.

Play him.  If he really doesn't want to play, he won't show up.  Then you will have ammo to suspend him. Then again, it seems like he always gets what he wants so maybe I'm wrong and he would have been able to get paid anyway even if he refused to show up for his employer.

Play him.  If he really doesn't want to play, he won't show up.  Then you will have ammo to suspend him. Then again, it seems like he always gets what he wants so maybe I'm wrong and he would have been able to get paid anyway even if he refused to show up for his employer.

He'd show up, he would just suck so badly we wouldn't put him out there and then we would eventually have to cut him anyways. 

Don't trade him and then what?  He clearly didn't want to play here.  You want him taking up a roster spot or out there with that awful hack swing.  Crap, Josh has been awful the last two seasons, imagine how bad a pouty, sad sack Josh would play.

No thanks.  The Angels made a bunch of mistakes leading up to this moment.  Plenty of poor decisions from the signing, to believing that an addict will keep their promise, from releasing information about the issue, to making comments that limited their ability to make a trade, to appearing to not back a player.  All of those things were mistakes IMO.

However this last move is about the best they could do.

This has disaster written all over it from the get go...and even then I'm not sure in anyone's worst case scenario the 2+years of Hamilton's non performance and this "trade" would have been believable. Even the worse detractor of this deal couldn't have imagined it would have gone down as bad as it did. This is arguably the worst deal in the history of baseball, more so than the Pujols deal has the potential to be. More so than AROD, or Wells, or Driefort, or Brown. You figured some flashes of brilliance, some injuries...maybe years 4 and 5 similar to years 1 and 2. Hell, if someone had written this disaster as a prediction when the contract was signed they would have been laughed off the boards.

118 million dollars for that. Wow.

Wow.

Still haven't figured out why Arte thought it better to give $25M+ per year for Hamilton than Grienke.

Grienke and Richards at the top of rotation would have been very, very solid.

We weren't out bidding the dodgers

Second. Richards was a question mark when we signed hamilton. Richards didn't take off till last season

DiPoto doesn't eff around:

"It didn't work out on the field. It didn't work out off the field," Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said during a conference call. "From beginning to end, this is not what we planned. This is not the way we envisioned any of this playing out from the moment we signed Josh. ... At the end of the day, this is what we felt this was best for the team, that we were able to clear the air, that we were able to move forward with the group of 25 that we have on the field today."

"Josh, from the moment he arrived here, there's been turbulence," Dipoto said. "If I could put my finger on why Josh had a tough time here, we may have been able to help him solve those issues."

"It didn't work out on the field. It didn't work out off the field," Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said during a conference call. "From beginning to end, this is not what we planned. This is not the way we envisioned any of this playing out from the moment we signed Josh. ... At the end of the day, this is what we felt this was best for the team, that we were able to clear the air, that we were able to move forward with the group of 25 that we have on the field today."

"Josh, from the moment he arrived here, there's been turbulence," Dipoto said. "If I could put my finger on why Josh had a tough time here, we may have been able to help him solve those issues."

disaster from day 1.

And now people are going to be calling Dipoto a meanie again, but he's right. Hamilton's entire run with the Angels has been a fiasco. Best that it's over. It burns that Hamilton has been able to behave like such a complete asshole without being held accountable for anything, but it's also clear that the players' union was going to do whatever they could to protect him, regardless of what he did. Anything the Angels asked of Hamilton was going to be a fight. The Angels recouped a little bit of money they wouldn't have gotten back if they releaed him outright, and now it's someone else's problem.

It doesn't sound as though Rangers fans are at all happy to have him back. Assuming he ever gets himself in gear and plays again, it's going to be interesting to see where he's booed more, at home or at Angels Stadium.

Edited by AngelsSurfer

I'm starting to believe that Josh Hamilton made up the Coke use so that he could go back to the Rangers.  He made several comments about how he really just wanted to play in Texas.  I'm not sure if he thought his plan would work or not, in the end, it did.

Like ive said from the beginning, theres far more to this than a relapse.

Hamilton didnt want to be here, and his lack of interest became too big to ignore. Anyone who thinks his numbers dipped simply because of injury is giving him too much credit.

I know theres sound bites of the players supporting him, and thzats fine, but dont ignore what one of his closest friends went on record as saying about hamiltons desire and passion of being here....

I live in Dallas - no huge tornado-like storm passing by.  LOL.  And, I've never heard it described in that way either.

Okay, it was last night, according to this:

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2967

Massive Tornadic Storm Just Misses Dallas; Extreme Heat in South Florida, Cuba

By: Bob Henson , 12:09 PM GMT on April 27, 2015

Near-record atmospheric moisture for late April teamed up with an extremely strong jet stream to produce a fearsome night of severe weather over north Texas, mainly south of the Dallas-Fort Worth area. The most intense storms of the day developed by early afternoon southeast of Abilene, with one large supercell emerging at the south end of the complex. After producing several brief tornadoes and hail as large as softballs from a giant stacked-plate circulation, the storm grew even larger and more threatening after dark as it moved just south of the DFW area. Slowing and reoganizing, it dumped more than 5” of rain on some areas, according to Doppler radar estimates. At one point, there were three potentially tornadic circulations evident on Doppler radar along the storm’s south edge, a pattern eerily reminiscent of the deadly storm on May 30, 2013, that killed several storm chasers near El Reno, Oklahoma. Soon after midnight, the circulations congealed into a powerful comma-shaped bow echo that swept across the prairie with high winds (see Figure 1). Nineteen preliminary tornado reports were logged by NOAA's Storm Prediction Center in Texas on Sunday.

Like ive said from the beginning, theres far more to this than a relapse.

Hamilton didnt want to be here, and his lack of interest became too big to ignore. Anyone who thinks his numbers dipped simply because of injury is giving him too much credit.

I know theres sound bites of the players supporting him, and thzats fine, but dont ignore what one of his closest friends went on record as saying about hamiltons desire and passion of being here....

Thinking back to so many times we posters wrote that, then were chastised by the Hamilton-sniffers: 

YOU don't know that.

YOU aren't a professional athlete.

Direct contrast to what Fletcher has said on these boards.

Hmmmm

It doesn't sound as though Rangers fans are at all happy to have him back. Assuming he ever gets himself in gear and plays again, it's going to be interesting to see where he's booed more, at home or at Angels Stadium.

========================================

You have to have been to numerous games with Ranger fans here.  When he left he was the biggest drug addict on the planet and good riddance.  Poll on news the other day had 90% welcoming him back, because everyone needs a second chance. 

All teams fans are fickle. I would imagine his first fan reaction in Arlington will be mumbles and a few tennis claps to see what he does before they turn on him again. 

"Make no mistake, here: the Angels boned themselves, and hard. Potential trading partners only knew of their desperation because they leaked classified details of Hamilton’s hearing in a venal attempt to get him suspended. His trade value became so low only because they themselves spiked it."

Exactly how high was trade value prior to the shenanigans?