• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Josh Hamilton to Texas Rangers (Official)

This whole thing is absurd and Arte's ego finally got the best of him.  What a way to send a guy packing, with 65 million going his way.  Yeah you really showed him Arte.

You are mislead to think Arte is trying to prove any point to Hamilton.

Although I don't have a problem with the sentiment or veracity of any of the Angels' brass comments from a month ago, those comments certainly didn't help in any leverage the team had in negotiating this trade.

Bad business move for the business geniuses.

The org was caught off guard when the league decided in Hamilton's favor and they blew it big-time with those comments.  Oh well "it's not my money".

“Over the course of the last few weeks, it became clear that Josh wanted to return to Texas,” Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement. “After several discussions with the Rangers, we were able to complete a trade that in the end is the right decision for everyone involved.”

The team did not issue Hamilton a locker at its Spring Training facility or at Angel Stadium, and promptly pulled all of his merchandise and likeness from the ballpark. Prior to the home opener on April 10, Angels owner Arte Moreno declined to say Hamilton would ever play for his team again and added that he hasn't spoken to Hamilton since the end of the 2014 season.

Asked why, Moreno said, "Probably disappointment.”

“I think that's probably the biggest word here," Moreno added. "We understand that he's had struggles, and obviously he's still having struggles, but the reality is there's accountability. When you make an agreement, you need to stand up."

“Over the course of the last few weeks, it became clear that Josh wanted to return to Texas,” Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto said in a statement. “After several discussions with the Rangers, we were able to complete a trade that in the end is the right decision for everyone involved.”

I don't get this statement.  Why give Josh what he wants after all the things he's done?  Why reward him for his behavior?  Did the MLBPA force the Angels to give Josh what he wants?  Is Josh some kind of king or god that I don't know about?

I don't get this statement.  Why give Josh what he wants after all the things he's done?  Why reward him for his behavior?  Did the MLBPA force the Angels to give Josh what he wants?  Is Josh some kind of king or god that I don't know about?

He's not accountable for any of his actions, according to everyone saying the Angels are picking on him.

The Angels took a risk but it didn't work. Be grateful to follow a team with an owner who wants to win a ring. 

they took a risk, then seemed completely unwilling to accept the consequences of said risk, so they traded a player they thought was good enough to warrant $125M two years ago to a division rival. But Arte "wants to win a ring" so he's off the hook?

The MLB Trade Rumors blurb makes it sound like the Angels are on the hook for more than the initial rumors said.  Has anyone seen anything more definitive on the money?

i'm having lunch with arte and dipoto tomorrow. i'll see what i can find out.

The MLB Trade Rumors blurb makes it sound like the Angels are on the hook for more than the initial rumors said.  Has anyone seen anything more definitive on the money?

From what I read, sounds like the Angels are on the hook for all but $8M:

"The Rangers will reportedly pay Hamilton just $2-3MM of what he’s owed, and Hamilton will give up about $6MM worth of guaranteed money, which will be offset by the lack of income tax in the state of Texas. The Angels are saving somewhere in the vicinity of $8MM of what he’s owed over the rest of his contract, and the deal has reportedly been restructured to give Hamilton an opt-out clause with a significant buyout following the 2016 season."

Edited by Turd Ferguson

First excuse as to why he's not performing in TX....will it be:

a - Hangover er,um headache

b - Jammed chakras

c - Not feeling "loved and supported"

d - Foul line stretching to the outfield too distracting

perhaps I missed it or I'm forgetting, but when did Hamilton make excuses for his performance here?