• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Josh Hamilton to Texas Rangers (Official)

You are mislead to think Arte is trying to prove any point to Hamilton.

That seems to be a move made out of frustration.  Theres absolutely no benefit from trading him.  You still have to pay his salary, and hes more motivated now than ever before.  Considering how bad our offense is right now we could at least give him a shot in left its not like Joyce is any better.  

But of course, Arte wants to flex and show he doesnt tolerate this kind of stuff.  I wonder what player we'll be getting back from the Rangers if any.

they took a risk, then seemed completely unwilling to accept the consequences of said risk, so they traded a player they thought was good enough to warrant $125M two years ago to a division rival. But Arte "wants to win a ring" so he's off the hook?

What does this even mean?  How are you going to keep him on the hook?

From what I read, sounds like the Angels are on the hook for all but $8M:

"The Rangers will reportedly pay Hamilton just $2-3MM of what he’s owed, and Hamilton will give up about $6MM worth of guaranteed money, which will be offset by the lack of income tax in the state of Texas. The Angels are saving somewhere in the vicinity of $8MM of what he’s owed over the rest of his contract, and the deal has reportedly been restructured to give Hamilton an opt-out clause with a significant buyout following the 2016 season."

Yep, that's what I saw, too, but they're not sourcing it.  That's a lower amount than we've seen previously.  Just trying to figure out if that's "official."

I would never fault Arte Moreno on this one.  This is all Hamilton.  Just wondering now what kind of player we'd get back, if any.  Smolinski is a Cowgill type, and plays decent corner OF.  Maybe we'd have some interest there. 

If there actually does turn out to be a PTBNL, I doubt it'd even be someone as good as Smolinkski.  Probably more in the vein of a 27-year old middle reliever at AA.

i'm confused. very little of this makes sense to me. if he wants out because of temptation or what not, how is it that the angels are paying his entire contract minus some piddly sum? the answers are never going to be sufficient for me to understand. it's just the insanity of mlb contracts and the mlbpa.

for those wondering the term "for a ptbnl or cash considerations" is a universal term . as has been described, the important part of this term is cash considerations. assuming that the deal has been reported correctly.

Edited by ukyah

Hamilton not only wanted to rejoin #Rangers, but also wanted to get out of SoCal for own well-being, as @JonHeymanCBS previously reported.

Newport beach is a terrible terrible place.

It's comments like these that make me think that he's relapsed more that once, maybe not with drugs because he's tested regularly, but at least alcohol.  Maybe seems plausible that the Angels FO knows about this as well and is just fed up with these incidents in addition to his reported drug/alcohol relapse.

First excuse as to why he's not performing in TX....will it be:

a - Hangover er,um headache

b - Jammed chakras

c - Not feeling "loved and supported"

d - Foul line stretching to the outfield too distracting

e - not a baseball town

I guess you can dump on Moreno if you want.  Poor decision from beginning to trust someone past their prime and carrying this much baggage.  I didn't like the signing from the mere fact they were never going to get numbers close to his last season in TX...ever.  Fact is, though, Arte acted in good faith from the start - meeting with Hamilton, sitting down face-to-face, trying to cover his bases and get the team a midd-of-the-order bat they desperately needed.  He guaranteed him one more year than any other reported team was willing and put up $125 mil to give the fans a chance to watch a winner.  After Hamilton sucking for two seasons,  I'm sure Arte was disappointed in what he got for his money but it wasn't until Hamilton snorted F'n cocaine - an illegal drug - that he sought to dump the loser.  Also, it wasn't him popping a test, he admitted to breaking his word to the franchise - which by the way is the only word he's spoken on the matter this entire as he hid behind his legal team in his bud's ranch in TX. 

Bust Arte for being rash at times, for wearing his emotions on his sleave, but the guy acted in good faith and only reacted to a BS situation in which I don't think I would act much differently.

It's comments like these that make me think that he's relapsed more that once, maybe not with drugs because he's tested regularly, but at least alcohol.  Maybe seems plausible that the Angels FO knows about this as well and is just fed up with these incidents in addition to his reported drug/alcohol relapse.

It's possible that he was just out of his comfort zone. His children go to school in Texas, he still has a house there.

they took a risk, then seemed completely unwilling to accept the consequences of said risk, so they traded a player they thought was good enough to warrant $125M two years ago to a division rival. But Arte "wants to win a ring" so he's off the hook?

Of course they accepted the consequences. They ate ~$70MM. What is your point?

I am so confused.  Arte hated Hamilton so much that he did him a favor and paid Taxes 70 million or whatever so Josh could play for the team he wants to even though Josh signed a contract that stated he would be an Angel for the next 5 years?  If Josh didn't want to be in Anaheim, why did Arte have to bend over backwards to trade him to Texas?  What am I missing here?  Did the MLBPA bully Arte?  Is this a case of drug addicts get their way all the time no matter what? 

I am so confused.  Arte hated Hamilton so much that he did him a favor and paid Taxes 70 million or whatever so Josh could play for the team he wants to even though Josh signed a contract that stated he would be an Angel for the next 5 years?  If Josh didn't want to be in Anaheim, why did Arte have to bend over backwards to trade him to Texas?  What am I missing here?  Did the MLBPA bully Arte?  Is this a case of drug addicts get their way all the time no matter what? 

Because Hamilton had a no trade clause and it seems Arte wanted him off the team more than he wanted to just screw Hamilton.

Hamilton not only wanted to rejoin #Rangers, but also wanted to get out of SoCal for own well-being, as @JonHeymanCBS previously reported.

Newport beach is a terrible terrible place.

Complete bull****.  If he wants out of So Cal, then he should have agreed to a buyout.  So Hamilton gets what he wants, the Rangers get a low risk high reward player, and the Angels still are stuck paying this idiots contract.  Everyone wins except the Angels here.