• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney to Angels for Howie Kendrick

Richard

Grant Green to play 2nd? WTF? We are going from the team with the best record in the majors to a team that won't even make the playoffs this coming year because there will be a bunch of kids and unproven players starting. Giving up a proven big leaguer for a kid with potential who hasn't proved a single thing yet is beyond stupid.

classic mbell. oh wait, what? 

i'm torn between being too old for this shit or can't get enough.

There are a lot way to offset the lost of Kendrick, like be injury free for one, Hamilton, Calhoun, Skaggs, Richards, Freese all missed time, and then there were Ibanez and the ex-closer you know who..........

Wilson, Hamilton and Freese might rebound to their old form, Trout, Calhoun, Shoe, Cron and Green could still grow..........

And if anything go south, there are enough cap room for JD to make a deal or 2 to fix the problem, so I am not worry at all.  

Everyone arguing the Kendrick vs. Green/Heaney debate:

The reason teams have established veterans is because there is generally a steady and reliable production that those players give. When you bring in a prospect there is almost always going to be a wide 'error band' where the player can significantly play better or worse than their projected expectations. This is why good teams like to have a balanced core of veteran players with a slightly smaller sample of younger players or prospects.

Howie provided reliable, steady production for us at 2B. I don't think anyone here is really arguing against that notion.

Grant Green has shown an ability to hit the ball in limited playing time at the Major League level. Clearly there are questions about his defense at 2B and I think most people here believe he will not quite achieve the level of defense that Kendrick provided. However if he is merely average at it he will be close enough that we may not notice too much of a difference. Maybe we will, who knows?

Additionally Green's bat has been his better tool during his Minor League career and it appears that he could certainly approach Howie's offensive level given time and experience and repetitions.

Clearly, because many posters are unfamiliar with Green's profile and haven't really seen him play or scouted him, there is a lot of uncertainty about what to expect. When you add fan uncertainty on top of Grant's inexperience at the Major League level, it creates worry.

The expectation that Green will break out and fully replace Kendrick's production is as unlikely as Grant making error after error and doing poorly in the batter's box. They are both long shots.

The reality is that Grant will likely not embarrass himself on defense and should at least be average (or better) on offense.

GG has big shoes to fill but I don't think those shoes will slip off his feet when he walks onto the field.

If this year showed us anything it is that if you want to get to the World Series you need to not win your division, just the wild card. Thats what Jerry must be doing.

And i think they'll be just fine without Howie. They were going to have to replace him after next season anyway so it just gives them a chance to trial what they have and access accordingly. 

Did you cut and paste this? I have seen you make the exact post word for word in another thread.

Grant Green to play 2nd? WTF? We are going from the team with the best record in the majors to a team that won't even make the playoffs this coming year because there will be a bunch of kids and unproven players starting. Giving up a proven big leaguer for a kid with potential who hasn't proved a single thing yet is beyond stupid.

Why are people dismissing Rutledge? A combo of him and Green plus Heaney should outperform what Kendrick alone gave us.

I disagree.  Heaney will likely turn out to be very good, but for 2015 its unlikely he's an upgrade over whoever he'd be replacing as much as the downgrade of going from howie to green/rutledge.  at best it's a wash, but probably not for this year.  

Whether or not were a better team than last year is debatable. Guys could regress, 2B can be a hole, etc. But id say there is no doubt were a better organization now than last year. Having a crop of good, young starting pitchers is huge...something weve all envied other teams for for a long time

Howie has been on the block for some time now.

The maybe true, but I agree with Doc on this. I dont think they intended to trade Howie unless they were blown away by an offer. Obvioulsy Heaney was enough for Jerry to ship Howie out.

Edited by The Dude

New Angels pitcher Andrew Heaney recalls whirlwind night of trades

A head-spinning turn of events at baseball’s winter meetings this week was a source of amusement for Andrew Heaney, the highly touted pitching prospect who was traded from the Miami Marlins to the Dodgers to the Angels within a span of about five minutes.