• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Andrew Heaney to Angels for Howie Kendrick

Richard

Why not pursue Headley and then flip Freese for a useful piece. Headley would vastly improve the defense and offer a left-handed bat. Freese might net us back a decent left-handed DH type.

Headley had one good year and people still think he is an .800+ OPS player. He is not an improvement worth the money required to get him. I would much rather Dipoto held some payroll money in reserve for a mid season acquisition.

And if we can't improve the offense, we should focus on run suppression. Headley and Max Scherzer would help in that regard. If the team could move Freese and Wilson (even eating a fair amount of his salary), they could make that happen while remaining within the tax boundaries.

Edited by wopphil

storm, my understanding is whatever we pay a guy like Moncada doesn't go against the cap. So yes Arte isn't paying $18 million for his big league club, but I don't think it has any affect on signing an international player.

Also, since going wayyyyy over on Baldoquin means that we won't be able to sign international free agents for a couple of years, as long as Moncada is made available by the appropriate date (I think it's May 15), we need to go all in on him.

Why not pursue Headley and then flip Freese for a useful piece. Headley would vastly improve the defense and offer a left-handed bat. Freese might net us back a decent left-handed DH type.

An article I saw yesterday said Headley's biggest suitors (Yankees) were turned off by his recent demands.  If the Yankees think someone is asking for too much that's a giant red flag.  Headley wants a multi-year contract and quite frankly aside from his one monster year has been pretty average or below average.  No thanks.

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

An article I saw yesterday said Headley's biggest suitors (Yankees) were turned off by his recent demands. If the Yankees think someone is asking for too much that's a giant red flag. Headley wants a multi-year contract and quite frankly aside from his one monster season has under performed for the most part. No thanks.

Good points, for sure. But I'd take him on a 4/44 deal, and I bet he ends up getting not too much more than that.

What is with everyone's fascination with a third baseman who had one good year amongst some pretty mediocre ones?

Essentially, Headley is Freese with defense, and he'll be paid more money. No thanks.

since we're talking headley keep in mind he's spent his career in petco. the most brutal place to hit in baseball. he came alive once he got out of that park. for the right dollars he's worth it, but if someone gives him a crazy contract then you just let him go. i think the 4/44 would be perfectly reasonable in today's mlb dollars.

since we're talking headley keep in mind he's spent his career in petco. the most brutal place to hit in baseball. he came alive once he got out of that park. for the right dollars he's worth it, but if someone gives him a crazy contract then you just let him go. i think the 4/44 would be perfectly reasonable in today's mlb dollars.

Look at his stats once he was traded to NY: .262, .371, .398, .768.  Love that OBP.  I think 4/44 would be the max but he's probably gonna get closer to $50 million.  That said, what's $6 million at that rate?

Its not that I am not happy about the trade..just wondering if weaver got traded and I missed it! No one lists him in all the rotations I have seen listed in this thread

He wasn't traded. What rotations are you talking about?

It's possible people are referring to future rotations with all the young pitching talent the Angels have.

Its not that I am not happy about the trade..just wondering if weaver got traded and I missed it!  No one lists him in all the rotations I have seen listed in this thread

He hasn't been traded. Youve probably been reading peoples future rotations

A lot of people are stoked about a possible rotation of Richards, Heaney, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Newcombe in 2017...and rightfully so. Dipoto has done a fantastic job with the pitching the last 2 years. Also depth pitchers like Tropeano, Deloach, and Rucinski are options. Angels have all of a sudden turned SP depth into a strength

Edited by Butcher'd

I'd still love it if they replaced Wilson, but as it stands the rotation is pretty good. They're now 7 legit starters deep, with guys like Deloach and Rucinski bringing it up the rear (giggles).

It's in the ESPN rumors (grain of salt) but they suggested flipping CJ to Miami for Haren.  The thought process is that Haren has said he will retire if he doesn't play in LA, so it is better for Miami to get something for him.  From the Angels perspective, it would clear a ton of $ off the books and they might be able to make a run at one of these FA P.  Now, I'm not sure Miami is keen on taking on all that salary, but it seems like they are trying to field a competitive team, so who knows.

Edited by Turd Ferguson