• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire Huston Street

Agreed on that to be sure scout, it scares me that Stamets is the ONLY SS left in the org of any potential. As good as Aybar is this season, he is only under contract through 2016.

Here is one important question to ask everyone.

Can you name an NL player who previously came over to the AL during the season and was dominant? I can't remember one in recent times.

My prediction still stands for Street: 3.00 ERA and 1.15-1.20 WHIP. Much better than Frieri, but truly not better than Smith and Jepsen. You don't trade the 4 guys involved for that and Gott.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Rondon hurts, agreed. He was still pretty far away from helping at the big league level though.

Sorry ocho, I normally like the gist of what you say and appreciate you trying to be "half full" on this, but this is just crappy logic.

Most good players are pretty far away from helping at the big league level when they are 20 years old.

Who knows how good Rondon will be, but he was one of our highest upside position players at a position that will need a replacement in a few years.

I've slept on it.

Prospects are just that. They're prospects, wildcards. If I remember correctly this board was pissed about the Greinke trade. I get that he was basically a rental, but looking back it doesn't seem so bad right? I didn't like the trade because we were playing catch up, we're trying to protect a lead in the wild card now and play a little catch up.

From hearing all of you talk and what not it seems JD did his homework on starting pitchers. Some of you overvalue our prospects and I do the same, hard not to be a homer. But I believe bloodbrother made a good point a few weeks back when he said, it took Will Meyers to get Shields from TB. Unless you wanna start taking away bench players from our ML club we got nothing to offer TB. I rather not break up the chemistry of this club right now, all these comeback wins and extra inning wins like last night, we got something special.

So what does JD do? He goes out and tries to shorten every game by getting a closer for prospects. Guys like Shoemaker and Skaggs can now go out and give us 5 hard innings and then let the bullpen take over. If we had Street last night I bet Weaver doesn't come out for the 7th and we win that game in 9.

Anyway, I like the trade. We are a team built to win now with some pieces to win in the future. I hope Arte realizes it's going to take money to keep this team going over the next few years.

Edited by CanadianHalo

The other thing that bothers me about this is that it's taken Borenstein, Krehbiel, Lindsey, Alvarez, Rondon and Morris to acquire two relievers. Yet the pen was an obvious weak point that was barely addressed in the offseason. The thought process here seems a bit inconsistent. But again, looking forward to more games like tonight. GO HALOS!!

Fantastic point Doc. 36 potential seasons of club control for two seasons of relief pitching. The team could have signed a guy like Benoit this off-season and avoided the need to make this trade altogether.

And why aren't people more bothered about losing Rondon? The guy is easily going to be a top 100 prospect soon. He is 20 and was destroying a-ball, at a premium position.

After a night of sleep and time to calm down, I am still pissed at this trade. It actually prevented me from sleeping well.

Edited by wopphil

People who are under valuing a strong bullpen prospect should consider our bullpen over the last several years.

Also consider all of the strong bullpen arms that Seattle, Texas, and Boston have developed that we wish we had.

Yep. And look at how dominant Alvarez has been this season. It would not surprise me to see him put up roughly equal value to street the next season and a half, and then he still has five more years of club control.

The irony is that the Angels actually gave up more for Street than they did Greinke. Segura was more well-regarded than Rondon is now, but Alvarez, Lindsey, and Morris are a better group than Pena and Hellweg.

Brilliant trade for the Padres.

I think this was a coup by the Padres, but I will say that I thought Pena and Segura were certain to be solid major league players, and both have flopped.

Great trade for the Padres, but it's also a good trade for the Angels if Street works out. Prospects are only prospects, they either boom or bust (make the bigs or don't), and none of them would've helped this current Angels team. The Angels look like they have something special going for them, something special that we haven't seen since 2009, and we should take advantage of that. With some of these contracts we have for older players like Pujols, who knows how competetive this team will be in the coming years, so might as well try to win that alusive 2nd championship while we have a real strong ballclub.

The irony is that the Angels actually gave up more for Street than they did Greinke. Segura was more well-regarded than Rondon is now, but Alvarez, Lindsey, and Morris are a better group than Pena and Hellweg.

Brilliant trade for the Padres.

Yep.... it's simply not close in terms of value.   The ZG trade was IMO one of JD's best deal in terms of value spent vs. value obtained.  Pena and Hellweg were extreme longshots to be anything other than RPs IMO.  Even if Segura was closer to the guy he was in his first half season with Milwaukee, that was a pretty good use of prospects.  The final outcome sucked but I was cool with the opportunity cost.  Hopefully this trade ends up as the opposite of the Greinke deal -- as in we gave up value but the reward ends up being there at the end.  

I will say this much, I like Gott more than I think other people do.  There is a chance the Angels recoup some of the lost value there.   I'm also hoping that Street continues to perform at a high level, as a 30 year old he's not exactly past his prime.  There would obviously be more costs in terms of $$, but there is the chance the Angels keep him around beyond 2015.

Considering how well the bullpen has been doing since the additions of Grilli and Thatcher, this trade may not even make our bullpen any better. Based on Street's career stats when not pitching for the Padres, he's about a 3.00-3.50 ERA pitcher. 

That's ridiculous.  Of course it makes the bullpen better.  We now have either Street or Smith as closer, the other guy gets the eighth inning, and then we have Morin and Jepsen for the 6th/7th.  Salas and Rasmus for mop-up and long relief.  That's an excellent pen.

This thread is mind numbing. This trade is pretty simple to analyze.The Halos were obviously focused on improving the pen and the best fit was Houston Street. However, they did not have an elite prospect to offer therefore they had little choice but to create a package. Since they were unwilling to include a Cron type player the package was going to be 3 prospects or so. Not one prospect is a sure fire major leaguer. The Padres had to be enticed to trade him as they have him under control next season. The market actually indicated that this is about market value for Street IMO. We will see how the trade plays out over the next four years or so. I can understand not liking the deal but the Halos decided the potential risk was worth the potential reward. I do like our pen this morning.

ive been sitting back taking this one in trying to determine if i like it or not.

on the plus it obviously helps the club now and gives us a rock solid back end of the pen with him and Smith who i think should still get some shots, hes earned that.

on the down we gave up a lot, for a guy that we have for what, the rest of this year and a club option for next and further hurt a farm that was already not in great shape.

If this converts into playoffs runs or titles of the next 2 years.. ok, i guess its worth it, and that's clearly the plan.. but if it doesn't, this hurts us a lot more in the long run.

I believe this is a terrible trade.

First. How much better does Street make us? Our bullpen has been excellent since the Frieri trade. How much better are we.now? We currently have a 10 game lead for the WC. 7.5 game lead.to host the game. We have the second best record in the league. Unless Street puts us over the A's the trade has no value.

Second we.gave up too.much. We landed Grienke for less. I wouldn't have minded it if it was.just Lindsay as we have a lot of depth there. Throw in a.couple secondary players but Alvarez is killing in AA and is close to major league ready and wasn't Rondon one of our top young prospects?

That's ridiculous.  Of course it makes the bullpen better.  We now have either Street or Smith as closer, the other guy gets the eighth inning, and then we have Morin and Jepsen for the 6th/7th.  Salas and Rasmus for mop-up and long relief.  That's an excellent pen.

+1

For the first time in a long time our pen is going to have fixed roles, like Glen outlined.  This pen was a hot mess for much of the first half of the year and suddenly it could be one of our greatest strengths.  

Starters go hard for 5 or 6 (more is a bonus), guys come out of the pen for their designated innings and we ride a high flying offense that's putting up a lot of runs.  I've seen this Angels model before.  I liked the result.

This trade makes this team better now and stronger for a deep playoff run.  Did we give up too much?  Maybe.  But we won't know that until we see what these prospects develop into.  

Edited by Geoff

+1

For the first time in a long time our pen is going to have fixed roles, like Glen outlined.  This pen was a hot mess for much of the first half of the year and suddenly it could be one of our greatest strengths.  

Starts go hard for 5 or 6 (more is a bonus), guys come out of the pen for their designated innings and we ride a high flying offense that's putting up a lot of runs.  I've seen this Angels model before.  I liked the result.

This trade makes this team better now and stronger for a deep playoff run.  Did we give up too much?  Maybe.  But we won't know that until we see what these prospects develop into.  

Whenever we make a trade, every prospect we give up is a blue-chip guaranteed game-changer.  Or so it seems.

Yeah, we certainly gave up a lot.  However, I think we also got, to quote Wicked, THE piece for the pen.  Our starters are certainly a concern going forward.  It's nice to suddenly have a lights-out pen to protect them.

Whenever we make a trade, every prospect we give up is a blue-chip guaranteed game-changer.  Or so it seems.

Of course this thread has shown the opposite is true too.

As soon as the thread was announced, there were people rushing to nitpick every single flaw each of the prospects we gave up has to justify that they really aren't that good.

It was a decidedly different tone than when those guys were still Angels' prospects.

We currently live in a world where people on Angelswin are arguing a pen where Jepsen is the 7th inning guy is apparently a sure enough thing to take into the playoffs without a plan B. Now I've consistently been a supporter of his but this is some kind of bizzaro world we're living in right now,