• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire Huston Street

Sorry ocho, I normally like the gist of what you say and appreciate you trying to be "half full" on this, but this is just crappy logic.

Most good players are pretty far away from helping at the big league level when they are 20 years old.

Who knows how good Rondon will be, but he was one of our highest upside position players at a position that will need a replacement in a few years.

sorry, let me clarify AJ. I wasnt implying losing rondon doesnt hurt, what I meant was more that if aybar leaves in 2016, rondon probably wouldnt be ready to step in and replace him. What i mean is that rondon (by how little I understand prospects) is still a few (more than 2) years away from us really having him to help us.

So im with you, I dont like losing him. The lack of SS depth has been something ive been considering the last 2 or 3 months. I was just trying to say rondon (I dont think) would not have been the answer in the near future

Edited by ten ocho recon scout

All season people have been complaining about the pen saying this would be the Angels demise. So Dipoto gets one of the best pen arms in baseball. Did people think JD would get quality pen arms for nothing? This is the reality of acquiring a pen arm people have been  clamoring about. Maybe people thought this player haul

"should" have netted Price...LOL! Angels trade 4 unknowns for 1 known and 1 unknown. This type of trade is a calculated risk that has gone both ways for the Angels in the past. The Greinke trade helped the Angels "NOW" and hurt them in the future. The Teix trade helped the Angels "NOW" and had no impact on their future. But the Angels gave up less in prospect talent than those previous trades.

If Gott pitches like he did BEFORE getting to AA and suddenly can't find the plate, I will not be as turned off by this trade.

Losing Rondon and Morris though hurts long term due to lack of key prospects at those spots, no way to sugarcoat that.

For that alone, Street had better deliver.

If Gott pitches like he did BEFORE getting to AA and suddenly can't find the plate, I will not be as turned off by this trade.

Losing Rondon and Morris though hurts long term due to lack of key prospects at those spots, no way to sugarcoat that.

For that alone, Street had better deliver.

Gott's just some dude, really.  He wasn't even in the Padres' top 20-30 prospects on most lists coming into the season.

Of course this thread has shown the opposite is true too.

As soon as the thread was announced, there were people rushing to nitpick every single flaw each of the prospects we gave up has to justify that they really aren't that good.

It was a decidedly different tone than when those guys were still Angels' prospects.

I understand what you're saying, but it's a sliding scale.  As far as Angels prospects go they were pretty high up.  As prospects in general though, not so much.

All season people have been complaining about the pen saying this would be the Angels demise. So Dipoto gets one of the best pen arms in baseball. Did people think JD would get quality pen arms for nothing? This is the reality of acquiring a pen arm people have been  clamoring about. Maybe people thought this player haul

"should" have netted Price...LOL! Angels trade 4 unknowns for 1 known and 1 unknown. This type of trade is a calculated risk that has gone both ways for the Angels in the past. The Greinke trade helped the Angels "NOW" and hurt them in the future. The Teix trade helped the Angels "NOW" and had no impact on their future. But the Angels gave up less in prospect talent than those previous trades.

So because people wanted Dipoto to acquire a bullpen arm(and I'll note that there were some who felt it was less of a need of late, particularly if it meant they could add a starter) they should just be okay with whatever it took to get Street?

I understand what you're saying, but it's a sliding scale. As far as Angels prospects go they were pretty high up. As prospects in general though, not so much.

Not sure you are right about that Glen. Rondon may be a top 60 or 70 prospect come the off-season.

Gott's just some dude, really.  He wasn't even in the Padres' top 20-30 prospects on most lists coming into the season.

The only time you see RPs in prospects lists is when the farm system is weak, you know like ours.   Gott's got upside, the problem is his upside is in the pen.  But inducing ground balls and throwing hard is a good combo to have.

i dont think any prospect is cant miss, well any not named Trout.
How many have we seen that were the next big thing turn into the next WTF?

We gave up a lot of potential, true, but thats all it was... Street is proven and help the club.

It isnt so much that we gave up a bunch of cant miss guys, its just that we gave up a lot of them on an already thin farm that concerns me.

We will be fine at the ML level, but the farm, not so much

Screw anyone saying get out of here!

Let's see you stay off this board as long as I did, and then you can talk!!!!

Self-bans are stupid!

So are GMs who trade a great SS prospect and a great reliever prospect and a 2B prospect AND a 4th prospect for an overrated reliever who ain't Uehara and some scrub named Trevor Gott!

If Self-Bans are stupid, maybe you shouldn't throw a tantrum, hold your breath, and self-ban yourself the second the Angels have a rough game.

Ive seen this a bunch of times in this thread. The one thing in common from all the posters who have stated this? They have no clue about evaluating talent and projecting forward.

Fairly steep price, and having to spend so much on not only Street, but the bullpen, is a direct result of failing to address the bullpen during the offseason (once again).

Angels are in win now mode, they have been since the moment the Pujols deal was signed, and double downed when they signed Hamilton. They've now turned a bad bullpen in to one that looks like a strength. Street in the 9th has a cascading effect and you could conceivably say the Angels have created a 5-6 inning ballgame for the starters when you look at Smith, Grilli, Jepsen, and Morin as setup guys with Thornton mixed in as appropriate. And the reality is you've set your bullpen up for next year as well even if Grilli leaves.

If you look at the deal purely from a win now perspective, it makes sense.

As for the pieces the Angels gave up. Alvarez projects as a reliever (with elbow questions)- so does Bedrosien and Morin. Rondon might be the biggest piece but then again he's in A ball and he might end up being nothing more than a light hitting short stop and Lindsey is an average to below average defender with some pop. Fairly steep price that is probably worth it if the Halos make a deep run.

Ive seen this a bunch of times in this thread. The one thing in common from all the posters who have stated this? They have no clue about evaluating talent and projecting forward.

Well, it's a good thing they have you and your expertise to enlighten them.

Sports Illustrated is high on Street:

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/19/padres-trade-huston-street-angels-six-player-deal

Street arrives in Anaheim as arguably the most underrated closer in baseball. Since the start of the 2012 season, Street leads all pitchers with more than three saves in save percentage, having blown just four of 80 save chances over that stretch. Saves aren’t the best indication of the quality of pitcher’s performance, but for a pitcher charged with converting save opportunities, a high save percentage is certainly a positive, and Street’s excellence has not been limited to his ability to get the final out. His ERA over the last three years has been 2.03, which even after adjusting for the Padres’ pitcher-friendly home ballpark, translates to a 174 ERA+, the eighth-best mark by a reliever with 100 or more innings pitched over that span.

I'll focus on how good we are now and worry about three years from now later, when this really good team isn't really good. This trade will end up being one where guys like Shane will say, "who cares how Lindsay or Rondon are playing, at the time we traded them we could have traded them and got more". In other words I think there value will be that of, what we could have got for them. If that makes any sense. Oh and I think Alvarez will be the best piece the Padres got in this deal.

I'll focus on how good we are now and worry about three years from now later, when this really good team isn't really good. This trade will end up being one where guys like Shane will say, "who cares how Lindsay or Rondon are playing, at the time we traded them we could have traded them and got more". In other words I think there value will be that of, what we could have got for them. If that makes any sense. Oh and I think Alvarez will be the best piece the Padres got in this deal.

I'll tell you now that you only trade that package for a star position player or starting pitcher.

Thing is shane, not sure theres really a fit for us SP wise. That would have been my preference, but we really dont have the pieces for a legit one (even if we dangled cron IMO).

So the next option would be to stand pat. Not a bad move. But dipo (and his army or people more familiar than us) might see a window we dont. Maybe they see it as by the time these guys are ready, were looking at so and so leaving, this guy being done, and team X being better.

Im not saying it was the right move, but id hate to see us blow a very real chance this year for the guys on that list outside of alvarez. And as far as him, im hoping what IP and someone else said about gott possibly being something along the same lines makes that blow a little easier to absorb

Because those guys are good enough prospects to be able to get you something like that, right?

Just because they used to be the Angels' best prospects doesn't make them anything special or that valuable in the eyes of other teams.

And I still hate the Street trade.

Edited by Angels

Thing is shane, not sure theres really a fit for us SP wise. That would have been my preference, but we really dont have the pieces for a legit one (even if we dangled cron IMO).

So the next option would be to stand pat. Not a bad move. But dipo (and his army or people more familiar than us) might see a window we dont. Maybe they see it as by the time these guys are ready, were looking at so and so leaving, this guy being done, and team X being better.

Im not saying it was the right move, but id hate to see us blow a very real chance this year for the guys on that list outside of alvarez. And as far as him, im hoping what IP and someone else said about gott possibly being something along the same lines makes that blow a little easier to absorb

I would've preferred to stand pat than to do this trade and I even stated it days ago in the other Kennedy/Street thread. It's not a bright idea when you are buying high, especially on a closer.