• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Acquire Huston Street

So because people wanted Dipoto to acquire a bullpen arm(and I'll note that there were some who felt it was less of a need of late, particularly if it meant they could add a starter) they should just be okay with whatever it took to get Street?

My point is the fans, writers, GM's, and the Angels FO knew the Angels weakness was the pen. The difference was the realization it would take to better the pen. It's typical for fans to over-value their players from who they are getting in return. The Angels weren't the only team calling for Street. So that probably increased the price to obtain him. What cannot be disputed is that Street improves the pen.

My point is the fans, writers, GM's, and the Angels FO knew the Angels weakness was the pen. The difference was the realization it would take to better the pen. It's typical for fans to over-value their players from who they are getting in return. The Angels weren't the only team calling for Street. So that probably increased the price to obtain him. What cannot be disputed is that Street improves the pen.

All of that is true, this was evidently the price the Padres set(and got someone to pay) for Street.  But no one was holding a gun to Dipoto's head and forcing him to trade for Street. 

But yeah, regardless of how much I think Dipoto just got bent over by the Padres, Street does make this pen better. True.

Last night, I really hated it. However, I had a nightmare of Papelbon wearing an Angels' cap, and I feel a little better now.

I don't know, I can't stand Papelbon but if it was taking on some more salary and giving up lesser prospects for Papelbon vs this Street trade, I might have been able to tolerate Pap's stupid face.

I agree with that, Street is way, way better than Papelbon.

If we're looking at their first half performances, which obviously we are to justify the trade, Papelbon has pitched 4 more innings and given up 1 more run. Is that what constitutes a reliever being way better than another?

Ive seen this a bunch of times in this thread. The one thing in common from all the posters who have stated this? They have no clue about evaluating talent and projecting forward.

I'm dying to know what you are projecting forward to. When do you see a better Angels team than this one materializing?

Edited by arch stanton

Like I said. If we don't win the division this trade was a waste. Our bullpen was a mess until we traded for Grilli. Since then it's lights out. Yes it is better. But the question is how much better? It's a little hard to improve on the performance since the Grilli trade.

I hope I am wrong and we make a deep playoff run. But if we are a WC team than the team would have shown no improvement.

+1

For the first time in a long time our pen is going to have fixed roles, like Glen outlined. This pen was a hot mess for much of the first half of the year and suddenly it could be one of our greatest strengths.

Starters go hard for 5 or 6 (more is a bonus), guys come out of the pen for their designated innings and we ride a high flying offense that's putting up a lot of runs. I've seen this Angels model before. I liked the result.

This trade makes this team better now and stronger for a deep playoff run. Did we give up too much? Maybe. But we won't know that until we see what these prospects develop into.

Now that I think about it Papelbon actually would've been a pretty good target. He doesn't throw as hard as he used to, but Street doesn't light it up either. He's having just as good a season and if the Phillies ate some money he probably could've been had for a deal similar to Jim Johnson for Jemile Weeks. I would take Papelbon+cash for Lindsey anyday over Street for Alvarez+Lindsey+Rondon

No way that package gets you in the discussion for either Samardzija or Price....

Part of the reason I said to stand pat (or not pay up on someone's whose value is as high as Street currently is) is that you're doing yourself a disservice by selling on Rondon this quickly. Much like his body, his true value is not done filling out.

Haven't even made it all the way through this thread but I'm surprised at how overwhelmingly negative you guys are.

I talked to a scout about it last night, a guy who covers the Angels system and has scouted all of their players this year. He also hates Dipoto.

Still he thought it was a good deal for the Angels because of what it does for them now. He doesn't think much of Lindsey at all. He likes Rondon but thinks he's a ways away. He's 20. Aybar is signed through 2016, so you're talking about losing a guy who is years away from being ready or needed. A lot can go wrong.

As for Alvarez, he's probably the most sure thing to have a major league impact in the next 18 months. Oh by the way, let's not forget that he just missed a month with a bad elbow.

But what's his best case scenario? That he becomes what Street is right now.

My take: yes it's possible the Angels overpaid but i wouldn't worry about it. The Angels have a rotation that may be little vulnerable and short on innings and now they have the luxury of yanking a starter in the 5th and rolling out a string of Morin, Jepsen, Grilli, Smith and Street. That's a nasty bullpen with room for error if one of them falls apart, which is possible.

Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts. They are usually to the point with first hand knowledge and/or stats. Last night in the gameday chat we thought it would be great if you could join us for a game. I bet you're a cool guy to watch a game with.

Considering how well the bullpen has been doing since the additions of Grilli and Thatcher, this trade may not even make our bullpen any better. Based on Street's career stats when not pitching for the Padres, he's about a 3.00-3.50 ERA pitcher. 

You do realize that three of those years were with half of his games at Coors, right?

Like I said. If we don't win the division this trade was a waste. Our bullpen was a mess until we traded for Grilli. Since then it's lights out. Yes it is better. But the question is how much better? It's a little hard to improve on the performance since the Grilli trade.

I hope I am wrong and we make a deep playoff run. But if we are a WC team than the team would have shown no improvement.

If none of these prospects develop into anything meaningful in the majors, who cares?  You can't say the trade was a waste simply based upon winning or not winning the division.  

If we don't win the division, but get the wild card and go deep in the playoffs (a WS win?) is it still a waste?  No.

If we don't win the division and don't go deep in the playoffs, but none of the 4 guys we traded develop into anything meaningful in the majors, is it a waste?  No.  

For your scenario to hold water, Street is going to have to add little to no value to our team this year and next, and a couple of the guys we traded will need to become impact major league players.  Might that happen?  It might.  But we won't know that for several years.

We're better this morning than we were yesterday afternoon.  Let's enjoy the rest of the ride that is the 2014 season.

You do realize that three of those years were with half of his games at Coors, right?

from SI.com:

...arguing in favor of Street’s continued success outside of San Diego are his strong peripherals. Before being traded to the Padres after the 2011 season, Street spent three years pitching his home games in the exact opposite run-scoring environment with the Rockies, but the one constant over those six years was Street’s excellence in the strike zone. He struck out more than a man per inning over those last half-dozen seasons while walking fewer than two men per nine innings over the same stretch (a 4.57 strikeout-to-walk ratio). This year he has been right in line with those figures, striking out 34 men in 33 innings against just seven walks (1.9 BB/9).

http://www.si.com/mlb/2014/07/19/padres-trade-huston-street-angels-six-player-deal

Edited by fan_since79

Agreed, the guy's lifetime WHIP at Coors Canaveral is 0.993

For all of you missing the days of Percy. Dude had a lifetime WHIP of 1.124 at the Big A. K-Rod at the Big A? 1.087

If you don't like how much we gave up for the guy, fine. However, trying to say this guy is not, and has not been, a stud out of the bullpen is ridiculous.

I'm in Vegas this weekend and I'm sure I do what all of you do, I check the Angels odds of winning it all. Yesterday the odds were 10-1 to win it all. This morning the odds are 8-1. Vegas likes Huston Street.

Vegas likes the public perception of the Angels acquiring Street.

The public doesn't know about minor league ball players. Just big name MLB player, which to Street's credit, he is.