• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Tanaka is not posted, extend Trout, forget Garza

nate

If Tanaka is not a viable option, the Angels should do everything they can to extend Trout and go into the season with what they have.

None of the other pitchers available are going to help this team outside of Garza and he is a huge risk because of arm injuries and how much he will be paid.  Already it will be tough for the Angels to make the playoffs this upcoming season, no need to recklessly spend money on pitching.

Of course I don't know how much it would cost to extend Trout or if he actually would sign an extension but I would rather the Angels kept that money for that possibility than sink money into another big pitching contract.

Edited by nate

Trout on the reasonable side.

2014 $5 million

2015 $12 million

2016 $15 million

2017 $18 million

2018 $22 million

2019 $26 million

6 year $96 million  $16 million CBT hit

Trout on the break arbitration record side

2014 $2 million

2015 $15 million

2016 $18 million

2017 $21 million

2018 $25 million

2019 $30 million

6 years $111 million $18.5 million CBT hit

I chose 6 instead of 8-10 because it only buys out 2 years of FA'cy which is probably more preferable to Trout.  Unless you go all crazy in those other 2-4 years.  But then is the risk really worth it for the Angels?  Also, nothing says that after 3 years, you can't extend him those 2-4 years.  This gives him solid security now, while not sacrificing much from him in the future.  

Trout on the reasonable side.

2014 $5 million

2015 $12 million

2016 $15 million

2017 $18 million

2018 $22 million

2019 $26 million

6 year $96 million $16 million CBT hit

Trout on the break arbitration record side

2014 $2 million

2015 $15 million

2016 $18 million

2017 $21 million

2018 $25 million

2019 $30 million

6 years $111 million $18.5 million CBT hit

I chose 6 instead of 8-10 because it only buys out 2 years of FA'cy which is probably more preferable to Trout. Unless you go all crazy in those other 2-4 years. But then is the risk really worth it for the Angels? Also, nothing says that after 3 years, you can't extend him those 2-4 years. This gives him solid security now, while not sacrificing much from him in the future.

Not a terrible idea, but I doubt locking up Trout for 2 years is worth it to the Angels. The idea is to keep him for as long as possible and 2 extra years isn't going to cause Arte to break the bank. He may just rather go through the arbitration process and then see where that goes. Make him a serious offer when he becomes a FA and then move on.

A 10 year offer is the most likely, IMO.

Trout should only ask for 7. There's no way he turns down 7/140. That way, he gets his security and another shot later at a much, much bigger contract. With a 7-year contract extenstion, he would be 29 and supposedly in his prime when that contract expires. He would be looking at a huge 10+ year contract to finish his career off at that point. 

Edited by Angels

Sure he could turn down 7/140. He will make more than 20 million through arbitration and would get an even bigger contract as a 26 year old. Sure the first year or so would be enticing but he seems to be patient and understands that his time will come.

I mean if all he would sign for is 7 years then obviously it's better than no extension at all but I figure Arte wants to keep Trout a bit longer than that and will do everything in his power to make that happen.

Sure he could turn down 7/140. He will make more than 20 million through arbitration and would get an even bigger contract as a 26 year old. Sure the first year or so would be enticing but he seems to be patient and understands that his time will come.

I mean if all he would sign for is 7 years then obviously it's better than no extension at all but I figure Arte wants to keep Trout a bit longer than that and will do everything in his power to make that happen.

He may earn close to $60 million through arbitration. If you give him $30 million for each FA year, 7/140 is pretty reasonable and fair. It gives him his security and also gives him another shot at a huge deal while he's still in his prime. 

I'm hoping the Angels keep him for longer than 7 years. I just don't see any incentive on his part to sign a deal for much longer than that. Say he signs for 10 years...what if he's past his prime (he'll be 32) when that contract expires and unable to get the kind of deal he could've gotten at, say..29? If he's going to sign an extension with the Angels, he better make sure he'll be in his prime and still in a position to demand a second huge contract once his first one runs out. Otherwise, he's losing a lot of potential money down the road. 

Yea, I don't agree. I would get together with Trout and his agent and give him a nice little raise for this coming year, maybe $1.5 or $2 million. When I got together with his agent I would tell him that you would like to sign him after the season starts to an amazing deal, one that will set him up for life. Really when all is said and done you are asking Trout to wait four more months for his big pay day. It really isn't that big a deal. Especially if you sell it as you are trying to improve the team that he will be playing on for next year and the future. Now if you get shut out and can't come up with a contract with Garza then I have no problem giving Trout his big contract now.

If Tanaka is not a viable option, the Angels should do everything they can to extend Trout and go into the season with what they have.

None of the other pitchers available are going to help this team outside of Garza and he is a huge risk because of arm injuries and how much he will be paid. Already it will be tough for the Angels to make the playoffs this upcoming season, no need to recklessly spend money on pitching.

Of course I don't know how much it would cost to extend Trout or if he actually would sign an extension but I would rather the Angels kept that money for that possibility than sink money into another big pitching contract.

They won't extend him until after Opening day so as to not break the luxury tax. Remember, the average value goes to the luxury tax. Extending him before opening day is an unnecessary expenditure of several million.

CBT isn't computed based on opening day.  It's based on the season.  That's why CBT information comes out after the season is finished.  

Extension talks should already be taking place though there is no rush to come to an agreement. It is important to find out what Trout's camp has in mind as far as their desire for an extension(home long, how much). This will give Dipoto an idea of how to approach the future. Even if Tanaka were to be posted, the Yankees would hand him a blank check. There is no reason to jump out of panic to sign a pitcher. This is a team that has no margin for error, and one that has a slim chance of winning 90 games. Sign a pitcher for one year and see what's available in July or next offseason.

None of the other pitchers available are going to help this team outside of Garza and he is a huge risk because of arm injuries and how much he will be paid. Already it will be tough for the Angels to make the playoffs this upcoming season, no need to recklessly spend money on pitching.