• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Tanaka is not posted, extend Trout, forget Garza

nate

Yeah I can't see how Trout would pass up something along the lines of a 10 year/220 million dollar deal. Sure, he may be leaving some potential money on the table but that is guaranteed money that he doesn't have to worry about anymore. 

And like you said, if he gets injured, he could be totally screwing himself. 220 million dollars is almost impossible to turn down. 

Just make sure to TRULY reward Trout with a $3-5 million salary for 2014. No more crappy 5% raises!

Assuming his 3rd full season being like the first two, I can see he and his agent zooming in on an 8 year deal after 2014, where his last season would see him turning 31 in August. Then he could still get one more big 7-8 year deal. Assuming the $30 million AAV worth in the 5 FA years, I can the deal being for $200 million, $50 million for the 3 arb years and $150 million for the 5 FA years.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Scott I agree with you but you know it isn't flushing it down the toilet. Flushing it down the toilet is signing Blanton and Madson. I personally don't think giving him a big raise will help with future contract negotiations, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. That is the train of thought of the give him a nice raise.

But here's my thought.

If Arte goes over the luxury tax by at most $8 million for each of the next 4 seasons, he's only paying $1 million tax the 1st year, $2 million the 2nd year, $3 million the 3rd year, and $4 million the 4th year. Is that really going to hurt Arte that much?

Even if $3-5 million is a bit much for the 3rd year, wouldn't another piddling 5% raise also be extreme the other direction?

This is going to be my last post on this since it seems to be lost on some people....

The discount the Angels get on Trout is is for guaranteeing him money 7 or 8 or 9 years down the road, not for giving him $5m on Mar 1, 2014 instead of $600K. That's just money that you're essentially spending to avoid one day of bad publicity which you could probably avoid anyway if Trout tells his agent to shut up this time.

If Dipoto says "Look mike were going to give you $600K this year because that's the way the system works. Sometime during the season were going to make you a deal that will pay you enough money for you and the next five generations of your family to be set for life, so be patient."

I'm pretty sure he'll be OK with that

This is going to be my last post on this since it seems to be lost on some people....

The discount the Angels get on Trout is is for guaranteeing him money 7 or 8 or 9 years down the road, not for giving him $5m on Mar 1, 2014 instead of $600K. That's just money that you're essentially spending to avoid one day of bad publicity which you could probably avoid anyway if Trout tells his agent to shut up this time.

If Dipoto says "Look mike were going to give you $600K this year because that's the way the system works. Sometime during the season were going to make you a deal that will pay you enough money for you and the next five generations of your family to be set for life, so be patient."

I'm pretty sure he'll be OK with that

Agreed.

You guys should do a contest predicting the years, value and time of Trout's extension.

I'm saying 9 years, $192 million, May 27, 2014 :)

5 years, $91 million, Nov 20, 2014.  

2015: 12 2016: 15 2017: 18 2018: 21 2019: 25

Although I think a 6 year deal could happen if we don't sign a higher pitcher this offseason.