• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Tanaka is not posted, extend Trout, forget Garza

nate

Extensions don't happen during Nov-Dec because teams are too busy with trades and free agents.

I think in this case it will happen in Nov for a few reasons.  While you say he will sign during the season.  I think the agent will wait to see if Trout wins an MVP next year.  That is significant leverage in arbitration, and since he is still under club control, really this is his only leverage.  If he does not win an MVP, his value will probably not change.  They will use the won't negotiate contract negotiations during the season, and since the concensus is he won't sign before 2014 begins for CBT purposes, that leaves the end of the season.  Also, I think that Trout is a significant portion of the present and future budget, so the Angels will want to get a deal done as soon as the season is over to  figure out what is within the budget for other players, and also before arb numbers get exchanged.  Because he has a chance to shatter arbitration records.

In most recent years, teams are paying free agents approximately 6-6.5 million dollars on the open market. Right now Steamers and Oliver both project Trout to put up a pedestrian WAR of 9 meaning Trout is worth 54 million dollars on a 1 year basis. Is this possible? Of course not. The arb record is 10 million for Ryan Howard coming off an MVP season. With inflation, I could see Trout getting 15 as his first arb raise. I am more in favor of 12 years and 400 mill variety. While it is a 33.3 AAV contract, he is worth it. Especially if the old max contracts are inflation adjusted. In terms of the payment structure, I would model the raises around the payments that are coming off the books. When VW comes off, raise. When Hamilton comes off, raise. Last raise kicks in year 9. As crazy as it sounds, the numbers justify it, especially when doing comps between Trout, Mays, Mantle, and Cabrera. 

I think the Angels have to go all in on Tanaka if he is posted. This guy started game six I believe in the NPS world series and then pitched in the next game. Sounds like a warrior to me that wants the ball in the big game and he does want to come and show what he can do in the MLB. Hopefully they post him but they have the right not to. If they don't it might affect the players they are able to sign afterwards knowing they block players.