• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Exactly. 
Got the Phillies to the World Series and will be good for years to come. 
Owner is worth slightly less than Arte and isn't in the market that the Angels are in. 

Arte Moreno, for years, has had ZERO excuse for not doing the same thing. 

Maybe not the perfect place to throw this comment out but. . .

All common sense indicators are that the owners make far more money than most think.  That’s why when a team sells, the sale price is almost always more than people think.  Obviously the buyer gets to see the real financials, we don’t.

All the labor positions of the owners are built around establishing limits on salaries (luxury tax) so that they can control themselves and remain super profitable.

I personally believe they absolutely can afford many massive contracts on the same team and still be very solid financially.

I just don’t buy the “you can’t have Trout AND Rendon AND Ohtani AND (fill in the blank) at the same time” stuff.

Obviously the more huge contracts you have the higher risk you have of one of them ending up a bad value.

But that’s not the same as these contracts threatening the financial heath of the team.

And yes it makes it harder to stay under the luxury tax, but that is a self-imposed somewhat fake cap that is just designed to save the owners money.

I definitely want a new owner that doesn’t give a crap about going over the luxury tax where it’s the right player or players.

Just now, mmc said:

I'm curious now. 
We're rumored to be interested in solidifying the back end of the bullpen and looking to "upgrade" at SS. 
And apparently still engaged with Senga. 

Clear sign we might be trading for a SS to save on $, but that's still a bit of money to spread around. 
Just hope the Angels don't whiff. 

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I just don’t buy the “you can’t have Trout AND Rendon AND Ohtani AND (fill in the blank) at the same time” stuff.

Obviously the more huge contracts you have the higher risk you have of one of them ending up a bad value.

So if one is already a bad value, we are safe on any new ones this winter, right?

Edited by Biergott

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I'm curious now. 
We're rumored to be interested in solidifying the back end of the bullpen and looking to "upgrade" at SS. 
And apparently still engaged with Senga. 

Clear sign we might be trading for a SS to save on $, but that's still a bit of money to spread around. 
Just hope the Angels don't whiff. 

Could they probably be planning on moving Silseth, Backman and C-rod to the BP? or they might think that Joyce is ready?

Either it's a bunch of bs, or we going all in.

6 minutes ago, mmc said:

Kodai Senga and an upgrade at SS/2B were my number one goals this offseason.

I like the Anderson and Urshela moves, and Renfroe is solid I guess, but his OBP leaves some to be desired.

Now, Senga, and a trade for one of the Padres infielders that doesn't give up a starter like Sandoval or Detmers and I'm a happy camper.

I'd also be happy signing Jean Segura and letting the defense work itself out. Fletcher / Soto / Rengifo / Urshela and Segura is a decent infield mix.

Urshela getting 20 games in the MINF, 40-60 games at 1st, and 30-40 games at 3rd, plus 30-40 in the OF corners as a true utility play everywhere guy. 

Leaves 100 games for Rengifo, 100 for Fletcher and 100 for Segura. I think you have to consider it if the price is right.

3 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I like the Anderson and Urshela moves, and Renfroe is solid I guess, but his OBP leaves some to be desired.

Now, Senga, and a trade for one of the Padres infielders that doesn't give up a starter like Sandoval or Detmers and I'm a happy camper.

I'd also be happy signing Jean Segura and letting the defense work itself out. Fletcher / Soto / Rengifo / Urshela and Segura is a decent infield mix.

Urshela getting 20 games in the MINF, 40-60 games at 1st, and 30-40 games at 3rd, plus 30-40 in the OF corners as a true utility play everywhere guy. 

Leaves 100 games for Rengifo, 100 for Fletcher and 100 for Segura. I think you have to consider it if the price is right.

I like Segura, halos not going to get top SS improve pitching. 

27 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

No TeAm CaN hAvE mOrE tHaN a CoUpLe Of BiG cOnTrAcTs

Lol, I will take that as largely directed at me 😉 

So that's 6 really good players locked up at 1.042 billion.

For the sake of a math exercise, let's assume we signed Turner to that deal instead, and let's assume that we re-sign Ohtani.  How much will Ohtani cost?  I don't know, but it seems for sure he will get over 400 million, perhaps as much as 500 million.  But to be ultra conservative, let's say 400 million.

Our top 4 players would have the following commitments:  426.5, 400, 300, 235.

That would be 4 players at 1.362 billion.  Is any team, anywhere, remotely close to that?

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

I like Segura, halos not going to get top SS improve pitching. 

I think I know what this means, but with the poor punctuation it it hard to decipher.

I don't think the Angels need just another starter. Silseth, Bush, Canning, Davidson, and C-Rod are all capable of giving them part time starts in the 6th spot. Barria too. 

But a guy like Senga pushes Anderson to 3, and Sandoval to 4, and that's a great problem to have.

10 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Yeah, I think that is reasonable.  There are multiple ways to improve this team.  I'd be cool if we got Senga and swung a trade for one of the various SS options out there.

The bottom line is we need to keep adding key pieces, and that we are not just ONE piece away (i.e. a star SS).  This team has multiple areas it needs to improve in.

5 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I think I know what this means, but with the poor punctuation it it hard to decipher.

I don't think the Angels need just another starter. Silseth, Bush, Canning, Davidson, and C-Rod are all capable of giving them part time starts in the 6th spot. Barria too. 

But a guy like Senga pushes Anderson to 3, and Sandoval to 4, and that's a great problem to have.

It would also potentially enable us to use a pitcher in trade.  Most teams need pitching, so we could swing a trade with one of our pitchers to acquire the SS that everyone wants, or something along those lines.

Adding Senga, and then in turn using one of our young pitchers to acquire, say, Adames, could be a great way to improve this team without having to dole out a mega contract.

1 minute ago, Hubs said:

@WarfarinLike trading a starter to get Anderson from the White Sox? Or Adames or Kim as everyone has posted about already. 

Sure, there are many options.  GMs will say that a certain player is not available, but I suspect most of these players are actually available.  The Brewers always sell off to save money, and they will soon likely need to replace both Burnes and Woodruff, so they could use a good, young SP.  

I think the SS trade market will start to see activity once the key FA SSs sign, but I think it's probable we will see activity.  Anderson and Adames would both be huge upgrades.  Rosario would be a solid upgrade too, but not as exciting as the other two.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Why are people so fixated on Tim Anderson? I don't see why the White Sox, as a contender, would trade him away.

Same reason people always fixate on guys like him.  They have actually heard of him or seen him in highlights.  Five years from now when his skillset has eroded and the things that make him attractive as a player are gone they will still want to acquire him for the same reason.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Same reason people always fixate on guys like him.  They have actually heard of him or seen him in highlights.  Five years from now when his skillset has eroded and the things that make him attractive as a player are gone they will still want to acquire him for the same reason.

I think his name was floated by one of the notable reporters (Rosenthal?), although I think he was floated moreso as a theoretical option, not one he was hearing.  There have also been some lukewarm comments from the White Sox about budget that maybe suggests they will look to trim, although that part is also nebulous.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Why are people so fixated on Tim Anderson? I don't see why the White Sox, as a contender, would trade him away.

to me it's the same reason why people keep mentioning Adames.  Someone else has a good SS and we need a good SS.  He's a cheaper option than someone in free agency from a pure money standpoint but considering what we'd have to give up to get him, he's really not.  

Both the brewers and CWS fancy themselves as contenders and both would benefit from adding position player value.  The only spot where the Angels might have some surplus value is pitching (and that's a big maybe btw).