• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Billy Ripken on the MLB Network said his sleeper pick is the Angels signing of Nate Eovaldi. 

Would love that, but doesn't he have a draft pick attached to him if he's signed by another team?

I don’t believe he got a qualifying offer, but I didn’t follow that closely. Him or wacha would be nice additions to the rotation.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Would love that, but doesn't he have a draft pick attached to him if he's signed by another team?

Yep, he was QO'd by the Red Sox. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/12-players-reject-qualifying-offers.html

We spent our 2nd highest pick already on Anderson (and 500k international bonus pool).  Eovaldi would cost us our third highest pick.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/11/which-draft-picks-each-team-would-forfeit-by-signing-a-qualified-free-agent-2.html

Edited by Lazorko Saves

22 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Billy Ripken on the MLB Network said his sleeper pick is the Angels signing of Nate Eovaldi. 

He does, but the bigger concern is he’s gonna probably get $15-$20 million over 2-3 years.

If you’re gonna spend that much, just spend a little bit more for a star SS or just spread that money out for the bullpen, 6th SP, and position player depth.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

He does, but the bigger concern is he’s gonna probably get $15-$20 million over 2-3 years.

If you’re gonna spend that much, just spend a little bit more for a star SS or just spread that money out for the bullpen, 6th SP, and position player depth.

Everyone wants to spend on A top SS but that top SS would want to come here. With someone like Eovaldi if Ohtani leaves still nice rotation in 2024

30 minutes ago, mmc said:

Not sure that I fully understand this from the Braves' standpoint, since they have d'Arnaud for next year at $8M, plus an option for '24 at $8M, and William Contreras.  Murphy is a great defender, but C just doesn't seem like a position of need for them.  You could give Contreras more AB at DH, but then you're wasting a lot of money on Ozuna and Rosario sitting on the bench.  Presumably, the cost to acquire Murphy will be fairly high, too.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You could give Contreras more AB at DH, but then you're wasting a lot of money on Ozuna and Rosario sitting on the bench.  Presumably, the cost to acquire Murphy will be fairly high, too.

I’d rather waste money on Ozuna and Rosario sitting on the bench than waste money on them playing. They were AWFUL last season. Neither should be starting.

Edited by Trendon

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I’d rather waste money on Ozuna and Rosario sitting on the bench than waste money on them playing. They were AWFUL last season. Neither should be starting.

Then sign an OF or something.  That would make more sense than trading for a C and having to give up solid-to-great prospects, plus paying him through his arb years.

Sounds like they're actually NOT getting Murphy, though, so all of this is moot.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I really hope not

Rather have Bassitt if we’re signing another pitcher from that tier I suppose you could say

46 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

That .. does not seem like a legit source.  Believe in only Passan and Rosenthal, IMO.

It doesn’t. But annoying accounts like that will try and claim they had it first if it does come true, which it very well could since there have been a lot of credible reporters linking the Mets and Verlander.

7 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Having your direct rival bid, especially the one that just beat you in the playoffs, will likely encourage a team to bid more than some random team in another league.

i really don't think friedman operates that way at all. i think they have plans and they execute them as dominoes fall.

26 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i really don't think friedman operates that way at all. i think they have plans and they execute them as dominoes fall.

I agree.  Friedman is the best in the business at what he does, so I doubt he will be lured into bidding more aggressively than he desires.

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Does anyone have the scoop on what Rosenthal wrote today for the Athletic? I heard the Angels were mentioned but not sure on the details. 

Are you talking about this?  If so, it's not much, really.  Just a basic overview of where Minasian/the Angels stand heading into the winter meetings, with no new info.

"Perry Minasian, Angels general manager

Minasian’s team is for sale, a mitigating circumstance as he enters the third year of a four-year contract. The Angels’ GM can neither trade Shohei Ohtani nor sign him; Arte Moreno seemingly is leaving that decision to the next owner. Ideally, Minasian would build a team strong enough to dissuade Ohtani from becoming a free agent next offseason. In reality, there is perhaps only so much he can do.

And yet, Minasian has no choice but to push. For the sake of his franchise, which has not won a playoff game since before Mike Trout’s arrival in 2011. And for his own future.

Rather than conduct a managerial search, Minasian had little choice but to extend Phil Nevin, the interim replacement for Joe Maddon, for one year. But at least to this point, Moreno is providing the financial leeway necessary for roster upgrades, and Minasian is responding with a feverish attempt to end the Angels’ streak of seven straight losing seasons.

The signing of free-agent left-hander Tyler Anderson to a three-year, $39 million contract bolstered the rotation. Trades for two potential free agents — third baseman Gio Urshela, projected to earn $9.2 million in his final year of arbitration; and right fielder Hunter Renfroe, projected to earn $11.2 million — thickened the lineup.

The Angels still need a shortstop and bullpen help. Even if they get it, they still might be behind two playoff teams in their division, the Astros and Mariners, and a third club that is spending aggressively, the Rangers. But Minasian has no choice but to maneuver as creatively as possible, and not only to avoid talk of trading Ohtani this summer. With a new owner coming, it might be the only way for Minasian to save his job."