• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

21 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

is it going to come down to signing Andrus for a year?

Imagine not trading Ohtani at last years deadline when his value was at its peak to run it back one last time but with Urshela, Renfroe and Andrus

I like to think Perry kept Ohtani knowing he would be able to spend this offseason 

1 minute ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Kolten Wong is an outstanding second baseman. I have no idea why the Brewers would do that trade. Winker and Toro both suck.

Yeah the Mariners clearly upgraded at 2B with Wong over Frazier. They also did so by ridding themselves from two impotent bats. 

Jesus...Milwaukee is also sending 1.75M to Seattle per Jeff Passan to even out the cash difference.

Milwaukee got killed in this deal. Even though it's just a 1-year swap, I see literally no upside for the Brewers. I would think Wong had more value than that...Wong is basically a guaranteed 3-4 WAR guy.

8 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Jesus...Milwaukee is also sending 1.75M to Seattle per Jeff Passan to even out the cash difference.

Milwaukee got killed in this deal. Even though it's just a 1-year swap, I see literally no upside for the Brewers. I would think Wong had more value than that...Wong is basically a guaranteed 3-4 WAR guy.

Wong 17 errors and Winker wantz to play in NL

36 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Imagine not trading Ohtani at last years deadline when his value was at its peak to run it back one last time but with Urshela, Renfroe and Andrus

I like to think Perry kept Ohtani knowing he would be able to spend this offseason 

Something is brewing for halos big deal coming soon. Minasian last chance to prove himself as GM. Perry has already done a lot, but BIG SPLASH is coming. Maybe trade or FA

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yeah the Mariners clearly upgraded at 2B with Wong over Frazier. They also did so by ridding themselves from two impotent bats. 

Agree they didn't really lose anything but not sure its that clear of an upgrade.... They basically replaced Frazier with a year older version of Frazier.

Career.

K Wong -.261/.334/.398 - .732 -- 99 OPS+

Frazier - .273/.336/.392 - .728 -- 99 OPS+

So, they gained a bit defensively, maybe lose a bit flexibility wise, but seems like a lateral move.  Also makes it so we likely see more moves from JD which is always entertaining.

23 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Wong has put up a 3.0+ fWAR season once in his entire career, four years ago when he was 28.  This will be his age 32 season and he's dangerously close to the 1200 games played figure which has historically been death to 2B.  I like Wong but I really believe he's massively overrated by people.  He's been a league average bat with better than league average defense which is always a quality play, but overrated.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Agree they didn't really lose anything but not sure its that clear of an upgrade.... They basically replaced Frazier with a year older version of Frazier.

Career.

K Wong -.261/.334/.398 - .732 -- 99 OPS+

Frazier - .273/.336/.392 - .728 -- 99 OPS+

So, they gained a bit defensively, maybe lose a bit flexibility wise, but seems like a lateral move.  Also makes it so we likely see more moves from JD which is always entertaining.

I don't know about that, look at Wong vs Frazier's last 3 years instead of their careers:

Wong
20: 90 OPS+ 1.3 WAR

21: 110 OPS+ 3.3 WAR

22: 118 OPS+ 3.1 WAR

Frazier

20: 79 OPS+ 0.8 WAR

21: 114 OPS+ 4.1 WAR

22: 80 OPS+ 0.9 WAR

It's not a massive upgrade, but an upgrade none the less. Wong seems a bit more consistent.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wong has put up a 3.0+ fWAR season once in his entire career, four years ago when he was 28.  This will be his age 32 season and he's dangerously close to the 1200 games played figure which has historically been death to 2B.  I like Wong but I really believe he's massively overrated by people.  He's been a league average bat with better than league average defense which is always a quality play, but overrated.

See above, though i'm looking at bWAR.

12 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

This isn't 1993. Errors aren't a great way to measure fielding ability.

Wong didn't have a great 2022 for some reason, but up to now he's been arguably the best defensive second baseman in MLB.

Yep, he's been top tier defensively.  Father Time is an A-Hole.  M's still likely improved defensively over Frazier.

8 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

It's not a massive upgrade, but an upgrade none the less. Wong seems a bit more consistent.

No doubt more consistent.  Just never been close to great save for one season four years ago.  For one year and 8.5 mil the Ms should be happy.

Trader Jerry will eventually get them a long term guy.