• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

19 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Personally, after seeing Adell rushed, I hope we keep him down there as long as it takes for him to succeed at the big level. I'd rather have Stassi or someone else try (and suck) w the big league club while Ohoppe develops than have Ohoppe come up too soon and potentially "adell" (as a verb)

Not everyone is an Adell, just as everyone's not a Trout. He looked pretty good in his few games last season, at least as good as Stassi...

Now if he can just pitch the way he did last year! I see it 1 of 3 ways…

1. they have a solid number 3 for the next 3 years 

2. if he’s pitching well but the new owner wants to dump him for an absolute haul.

3. he regresses and 13m each year for only 3 years isn’t a death sentence for an innings eater.

25 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Now if he can just pitch the way he did last year! I see it 1 of 3 ways…

1. they have a solid number 3 for the next 3 years 

2. if he’s pitching well but the new owner wants to dump him for an absolute haul.

3. he regresses and 13m each year for only 3 years isn’t a death sentence for an innings eater.

He doesn't have to have a 2.50 ERA and win 15 games like he did this year for it to be a good contract....that is why I'm optimistic....he has room to regress and it could still be a good deal.....

16 minutes ago, DMVol said:

He doesn't have to have a 2.50 ERA and win 15 games like he did this year for it to be a good contract....that is why I'm optimistic....he has room to regress and it could still be a good deal.....

I completely agree. He can post a 3.50 era and be well worth the money. 

19 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I disagree only because I value Andrus higher than Fletcher as a starting SS.

I'll say what nobody else will. 

David Fletcher is a depth backup piece, a true utility infielder. He shouldn't be starting the majority of games for the Angels.

I agree with this.  So, to get to the next level, which is the playoffs & World Series, a  SS, with a bat, is needed.  We’re not getting there with Andrus at SS.

13 hours ago, m0nkey said:

Angels will sign and bring back former team legend Drew Rucinski

He hasn't been talked about here, but I wouldn't mind bringing him on as our 6th starter acquisition.  With how much guys like Boyd are signing for, he might be a good cheap option to hopefully be the next Mikolas

42 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I agree with this.  So, to get to the next level, which is the playoffs & World Series, a  SS, with a bat, is needed.  We’re not getting there with Andrus at SS.

Ironic though that Andrus’ glove is just average now (average 0.1 dWAR since 2019), and the bat is the better part of his game (average 2.5 oWAR since 2019)

31 minutes ago, mmc said:

He hasn't been talked about here, but I wouldn't mind bringing him on as our 6th starter acquisition.  With how much guys like Boyd are signing for, he might be a good cheap option to hopefully be the next Mikolas

Rucinski’s stats were really solid in 2022 in the KBO, especially the 5.5/1.0 Ks/BBs ratio and increased Ks count.

Love the durability, at least 30 starts in all 4 KBO seasons.

How would that translate to MLB though?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Athletic's write up on him

Rucinski kicked around the majors for a few years, appearing with the Angels, Twins, and Marlins between 2014-18, which in and of itself is a great outcome for an undrafted free agent (out of an Ohio State University of some sort). He went to Korea after that season, however, and has reinvented himself, getting stronger, throwing harder, and adding a splitter, to the point where he might be able to come back to MLB as a starter. Rucinski was at 92-94 mph in relief before going to Korea, but over there has been more 94-96, with a cutter in the low 90s that’s probably his best pitch and an above-average curveball that might also miss some bats here. He’s coming off his best season to date, where he walked just 4.1 percent of batters and struck out almost a quarter, and in four years in the KBO he hasn’t missed a start, taking the ball 121 times in total and never throwing less than 177 innings in any season. This at least looks and sounds like a potential league-average starter here, but there’s risk involved in any starter coming from the KBO to MLB because the quality of hitters is much higher here. I could see two years and $16-18 million-ish, or maybe three years and $20-22 million, for a team that believes he has an excellent chance to remain a starter.

45 minutes ago, mmc said:

Athletic's write up on him

Rucinski kicked around the majors for a few years, appearing with the Angels, Twins, and Marlins between 2014-18, which in and of itself is a great outcome for an undrafted free agent (out of an Ohio State University of some sort). He went to Korea after that season, however, and has reinvented himself, getting stronger, throwing harder, and adding a splitter, to the point where he might be able to come back to MLB as a starter.

What will Tank’s reaction be to this?

6 hours ago, rafibomb said:

There might be a lot of incentives pushing this deal to potentially 10+ million but comparing the Tyler Anderson deal at 13/year to this is actually insane.

that's why I was quick to back off my previous statements about wanting no part of him.  I feel like it's gonna be one of the better deals this offseason.  I fully expected him to get a min of 18m per.