• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

41 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Lol, I will take that as largely directed at me 😉 

So that's 6 really good players locked up at 1.042 billion.

For the sake of a math exercise, let's assume we signed Turner to that deal instead, and let's assume that we re-sign Ohtani.  How much will Ohtani cost?  I don't know, but it seems for sure he will get over 400 million, perhaps as much as 500 million.  But to be ultra conservative, let's say 400 million.

Our top 4 players would have the following commitments:  426.5, 400, 300, 235.

That would be 4 players at 1.362 billion.  Is any team, anywhere, remotely close to that?

The comment was directed at nobody specifically.  Just a general argument against the general argument that a team “just can’t” have multiple huge obligation  contracts.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

The comment was directed at nobody specifically.  Just a general argument against the general argument that a team “just can’t” have multiple huge obligation  contracts.

What I do hope, FWIW, is to be totally wrong and see some announcement in the next day or two that we have signed some star player.  I mean, as a fan, I think we all want to see as many good players on this team as possible.  That would be fun to see.  I just am skeptical, I guess, until I see it.

All that said, the biggest headline I am hoping for in the next few days is, "ARTE AGREES TO SELL TEAM TO ______."  That is the biggest win we can have in these next few days, IMO.

43 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Lol, I will take that as largely directed at me 😉 

So that's 6 really good players locked up at 1.042 billion.

For the sake of a math exercise, let's assume we signed Turner to that deal instead, and let's assume that we re-sign Ohtani.  How much will Ohtani cost?  I don't know, but it seems for sure he will get over 400 million, perhaps as much as 500 million.  But to be ultra conservative, let's say 400 million.

Our top 4 players would have the following commitments:  426.5, 400, 300, 235.

That would be 4 players at 1.362 billion.  Is any team, anywhere, remotely close to that?

Also, you just did what I was talking about.  I don’t think you can measure how feasible this stuff is by “Is any team close to that?”

The whole point so we don’t know how much money they make.  But we do know that buyers of teams gladly fork over obscene amounts of money to step into the team’s financial position.

So I am simply not buying the idea that they can’t afford it.

Remember when it was impossible for any team to pay one player $10m a year?  It was impossible until somebody did it.

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

What I do hope, FWIW, is to be totally wrong and see some announcement in the next day or two that we have signed some star player.  I mean, as a fan, I think we all want to see as many good players on this team as possible.  That would be fun to see.  I just am skeptical, I guess, until I see it.

All that said, the biggest headline I am hoping for in the next few days is, "ARTE AGREES TO SELL TEAM TO ______."  That is the biggest win we can have in these next few days, IMO.

That’s not a win until we know what name/entity fills in that blank.

Ok so some of the biggest names are already off the board: Degrom, Verlander and Trea Turner…

So when will the floodgates open and things start popping!  I’m jonesing over here

Are we basically waiting for Judge and Correa to sign before the frenzy breaks open?

Seems like in the past once the biggest name signed everything started to fall into place rapidly, or is it just my impatience?  Lol

That said it does seem like the big names signed much earlier than normal doesn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Biergott said:

Ok so some of the biggest names are already off the board: Degrom, Verlander and Trea Turner…

So when will the floodgates open and things start popping!  I’m jonesing over here

Are we basically waiting for Judge and Correa to sign before the frenzy breaks open?

Seems like in the past once the biggest name signed everything started to fall into place rapidly, or is it just my impatience?  Lol

That said it does seem like the big names signed much earlier than normal doesn’t it?

Well, we had two major signings today, to go along with the deGrom signing on Friday, so I think the floodgates are already opening.

I don't think we will see what we saw last offseason, when the lockout was about to occur and we saw like 5 billion transactions.  In all honesty though, that was a lot of fun, and I think the offseason would be a lot more enjoyable if there was a designated "shutdown" time each offseason, much in the same way that there's a trade deadline and we see a flurry of moves right before that closes.

39 minutes ago, Taylor said:

This is AngelsWin, where imaginations are like playing MLB The Show and trading for any player that exists.

38 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

And surprisingly, AW would likely get the Angels into the playoffs before Arte or any other GM does.

If you think the trade scenarios are lopsided here, you should see Facebook, Twitter and Reddit. 

We're a bunch of Brian Cashman's in comparison to the children posting trade offers on other social media outlets.

11 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

If Arte and Perry lose this to Cohen and Eppler then this is peak peak Arte. 

Votes against Cohen to own a team then loses Senga to he and his former GM. Imagine 🤣

But would be sweet if Arte won......

Dude is on his way out -- people really need to start getting over their Arte derangement syndrome.   The damage has already been done.

2 hours ago, Warfarin said:

A lot of Turner's value is tied to his SS defense.  His contract is through his age 40 season.  Yikes.

All that said though, for those who want action, I suspect that this, along with the deGrom and Verlander deals, should accelerate the market.  

I am curious if people here would want Turner here on the contract he just signed?

no. at the contracts expected i don't want turner or rodon. i think rodon is an aggravated shoulder injury in repose and i think turner's propensity to chase out of the zone is going to really hurt him as his skills fade.