• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd love to get Chisholm, but he's exactly the type of guy the Marlins should be holding on to, not trading away.  I imagine the acquisition cost for him would be sky high.

Can Chisholm effectively play SS?  I seem to recall he is more of a 2B than a SS.

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I'd love to get Chisholm, but he's exactly the type of guy the Marlins should be holding on to, not trading away.  I imagine the acquisition cost for him would be sky high.

I totally agree. I’m sure he would cost the Angels a young starting pitcher, Luis Rengifo and probably Jo Adell and as much as I love him and the way he plays the game that would be an overpay IMO. 

What strikes me about the Turner contract is that he'll be in his 30s for 95% of it. 

Turner's a great player, but note the drop in wRC+: from 159 in 2020 (albeit 59 games) to 142 in 2021 to 128 last year. When that drops a bit further to the 110 range, and his defense goes through the typical decline, all of sudden they're paying $30M for a 3 WAR guy rather than a 6 WAR guy...probably in just a few years.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Isn't there a rule in which you can't trade a player within 1 year of drafting him? Or is that no longer the case (or just my imagination)?

Yeah, that went away a few years back.  If you remember the Will Wilson trade, that was in the same year he was drafted, for example.

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

So, per BTV, this would be a "fair" trade ..

image.thumb.png.76b4cf3b23fc6dfcd4442b44d3740b1e.png

Or, alternatively, one without Neto:

image.thumb.png.cd99f39cee663cb2959195fe30876281.png

Not sure I'd bother with either of those, really.  I know Hoerner put up a 4+ WAR season this year, but seems like Neto has a reasonable shot of being a better player overall.  You'd get three years of control on Hoerner, though he's just entering arbitration, so his salary will start jumping.  Suarez has become a very usable piece the last couple years.  I don't know...Hoerner just doesn't strike me as a someone you'd trade multiple top 5 prospects or a top 5 prospect and a serviceable SP for. 

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not sure I'd bother with either of those, really.  I know Hoerner put up a 4+ WAR season this year, but seems like Neto has a reasonable shot of being a better player overall.  You'd get three years of control on Hoerner, though he's just entering arbitration, so his salary will start jumping.  Suarez has become a very usable piece the last couple years.  I don't know...Hoerner just doesn't strike me as a someone you'd trade multiple top 5 prospects or a top 5 prospect and a serviceable SP for. 

You want to win now and Perry trying to save his job

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, I agree.   BTV is just a tool; it is somewhat on point, but obviously value is in the eye of the beholder.  

Suarez is a tradeable piece, though, and if the Cubs want to contend now, I have to imagine they would want some MLB assets in a trade, and Suarez is probably amongst the most tradeable ones that we have that is reasonable.

I think we could probably replace Suarez's production.  A solid SS is not easy to find, and he would definitely be a solid upgrade over what we have.  He grades out as a very strong defender.

If you assume that we are aiming to stay below the luxury tax level, which I think is probably a fair assumption until proven otherwise, this would rather nicely fit into our budget as well, as Hoerner is projected to earn around 2.2mil.  We'd have enough to still fill another spot, for perhaps around 7-8mil worth of salary, maybe a little more even.

I should clarify - I would hang onto Neto, and I'd probably try to cobble some deal around Suarez + whatever other pieces they may be interested in.

27 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah, I agree.   BTV is just a tool; it is somewhat on point, but obviously value is in the eye of the beholder.  

Suarez is a tradeable piece, though, and if the Cubs want to contend now, I have to imagine they would want some MLB assets in a trade, and Suarez is probably amongst the most tradeable ones that we have that is reasonable.

I think we could probably replace Suarez's production.  A solid SS is not easy to find, and he would definitely be a solid upgrade over what we have.  He grades out as a very strong defender.

If you assume that we are aiming to stay below the luxury tax level, which I think is probably a fair assumption until proven otherwise, this would rather nicely fit into our budget as well, as Hoerner is projected to earn around 2.2mil.  We'd have enough to still fill another spot, for perhaps around 7-8mil worth of salary, maybe a little more even.

I should clarify - I would hang onto Neto, and I'd probably try to cobble some deal around Suarez + whatever other pieces they may be interested in.

Yeah, something like that would be more palatable.  Like I said, he just doesn't seem like the type of guy you severely weaken the upper ranks of your prospects for. Hoerner would definitely be a good addition at the right price.  He finally developed a bit of pop this year and made some improvements in his batted ball profile.  If those are sustainable, then he's interesting to me, since his defense will (presumably...) still be great moving forward.