• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The point is you trade a position that is easy to fill (outfield) for a position that is difficult to fill (SS). You can spend $10-20 million on a very good outfielder.  That same amount gets you a meh SS these days.  

I hear you and agree, but I'd really like to see Ward get a full season in to see what he can do. 

The Blue Jays or Rangers are probably going to sign Nimmo and Hanniger is going to be a gross overpay. 

37 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The point is you trade a position that is easy to fill (outfield) for a position that is difficult to fill (SS). You can spend $10-20 million on a very good outfielder.  That same amount gets you a meh SS these days.  

While I think the thought process is solid and understand it, I think sometimes an organization can start to outthink itself and become "too smart" in terms of trying to sell high / buy low.  It is generally a good strategy, but it can be overdone.

For us, though, I think our OF depth is rather poor, and I'd rather keep Ward and see how it plays out.  I am more inclined to trade one of our SPs in a trade in that I think SP is the strength of this organization now (never thought I'd say that), and a lot of teams are in need of it.  So if we do indeed swing a trade for a SS, I could see using a SP to do so.

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I hear you and agree, but I'd really like to see Ward get a full season in to see what he can do. 

I think that is what will happen as I don't see getting an upgrade at SS for him in a trade. I think Ward is going to be a bit above average. I think his ceiling is an OPS+ of 105-110 and a 2 WAR

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I think that is what will happen as I don't see getting an upgrade at SS for him in a trade. I think Ward is going to be a bit above average. I think his ceiling is an OPS+ of 105-110 and a 2 WAR

That’s obviously not his ceiling based on his performance this past year where he was a 135 OPS+. Oh and it wasn’t just two hot months. He had a 972 OPS his last 31 games. 

Just now, Stradling said:

That’s obviously not his ceiling based on his performance this past year where he was a 135 OPS+. Oh and it wasn’t just two hot months. He had a 972 OPS his last 31 games. 

Hopefully I'm wrong and I don't think we should trade him unless the return is a really good value. I like Ward and think he's the better talent between he and Adell. He went from 107 in '21 to 135 last year and that seems like a pretty big jump. It's probably somewhere in between that next year so 110 may be a little low. 

9 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Heyman is trash. Morosi mentions the Angels and BlueJays and this cone head doesn't do it. 

Do any of these guys have legit sources or are they as reliable as the lion guy just naming a bunch of teams.

Heyman has legit sources and has broke news plenty of times. He reported the Tyler Anderson signing and the terms of the Estevez deal. 

Edited by totdprods

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Hopefully they sign one of the big names and take them away from an AL team.

So the Phillies and Padres, both teams who entered with higher payrolls than the Angels, are still trying to offer big contracts. 

I wonder if there is a change is philosophy with some teams not being afraid of pushing the payroll above and beyond the tax. Wonder if Angels are thinking the same.