• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How do we fix this realistically?

I've seen so many comments about trading our players but I have not seen how we can fix this realistically.  Trading Ohtani is easy.  Teams would love Trout as well.

What would you do if you were the GM?  I am truly curious.  

Not sure it will be possible without payroll flexibility, and Arte Wilpon's meddling.  Scouting needs to increase. Some of the scouts have territory that covers 3 states. Watching video is not scouting. You need eyes on the players. Player development improvements. Seems like the org has a large turnover every year of minor league staff. Moreso than other org's.  Major league coaching staff needs to go bye bye. I expect to see close to 10 26 man roster spots to open up after the season ends. Lot of holes to fill. And not enough payroll. Putting 3 eggs in a 2 dozen egg box will do that.

11 minutes ago, halonatic13 said:

I've seen so many comments about trading our players but I have not seen how we can fix this realistically.  Trading Ohtani is easy.  Teams would love Trout as well.

Do whatever they are doing and do the opposite. 

13 minutes ago, halonatic13 said:

• Clean house with the entire coaching staff and hire the right person for the job, regardless of experience.

• Increase the analytics department.

• Create dedicated pitching and hitting departments within the organization.

• Trade Ohtani and allow him to negotiate an extension with that team in order to maximize the return.

• Revert back to a 5-man rotation.

• Use the DH spot as a rotating spot to give guys rest (like Trout and Rendon)

• Trade young, pre-arb pitching depth for young, pre-arb position player depth.

The team we see now is a product of years of mismanagement from the highest levels. 

Firing the scouting department.  Cutting funding in scouting and development.  Corruption in the scouting department.  

Then we get to the major league level of signing splashes, sometimes against the GM.  Saying we are a big market team, and will spend what it takes, then having GM after GM fail to spend, always within some budget range.  Never going all out to spend to improve the team, and if we do, losing out on the best as they use us to go to a more desirable team.  Then after losing on players, never having another plan, and instead spending for that splash player that we didn't have a need for and the rest on the table scraps of the offseason.  

We really need a reboot, starting at the top.  Because the top won't change, and we'll be languishing with two of the best players in the league till they leave, then being competitive with the Pirates, Orioles and Diamondbacks of the world for that top pick for decades.

52 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Go back to the Stoneman type of team management.  

Develop a good farm system.  

Promote them to the majors.  

Trade / sign players to fill in any holes. 

Do not acquire players that are marginally better / same than what you have. 

Develop a farm system by trading assets now. Wait till off season to trade Ohtani. Yankees need OF trade them Trout. He would gladly go there. In 23 have Marsh, Adell, Rengifo, Stefanic plus Rendon. Fletcher at 3B unless u can trade him. Tear this team apart.

2 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

There is no fix beyond making savvy moves and spending money on the right players… something they haven’t ever really done.

I thought coming into the 2022 season that the Halos had a pretty good roster, Maddon was a proven winning manager, the Stadium issue seemed settled.  Things appeared to be set for a good run with players like Trout. and Ohtani signed for what is considered 'long term'  (two years plus) these days in MLB.

And now, here we are at mid-Season, July 4th near the All Star break --and while we still have two of MLB's best players on the roster, Trout and Ohtani --it's all come unraveled and the Angels are mired some 14 and 1/2 games behind Houston in the AL West with no signs of improving much over the second half of the season -- so once again meaningless games ahead in the hot August/ September Angels Stadium sun leading to empty seats, perhaps less than half filled stadium EVEN with the expanded MLB playoff format.

The once promising Angels 2022 season / roster in the future has rather quickly (didn't we have such hope with a great April into May start?) become a major reclamation / rebuilding project -- including the ballpark and all the shenanigans going on in Anaheim City Hall.

I've been a big fan of Arte's ownership over the years and he's done some good things for the franchise -- but it's clear now he's having difficulty being a sole proprietorship type owner competing against the conglomerates who own the big market teams.  Perhaps it's time he sells the club -- but he, also, is stuck in the unraveling Catch. 22 situation -- he needed the Stadium leave/ land/ capital improvements issue settled, he needed long term contracts for key players etc, he need the MLBPA contract issue to be resolved before selling -- and those things got done and then the Stadium deal became 'undone' and suddenly the long term contract end dates for Trout and Ohtani are suddenly looming again.

This is a long winded way of. saying - After such hope for the 2022 season, I am just bewildered how everything collapsed so quickly to get the Halos where they are today heading into July 4th -- and I have no suggestions, ideas or recommendations of how to move forward, It truly is a total morass.  Sorry for the gloomy outlook but it's another disappointment/ depressing time for long suffering Halos fans - apparently Lucy has pulled the football away again.........

Perhaps we should just start playing games at Blair Field until the new water front park can be built in Long Beach. At least we'd play before a packed house of fans.