• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In what year will the Halos have a good pen?

In what year will the Halos have a solid pen?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. When will the Halos have a solid pen?

• Yeah, right!

The optimistic take...

Consider three things:

1) There have been overall positive developments from their young starters, so the Angels potentially have seven starting candidates age 27 or younger for next year: Ohtani, Sandoval, Canning, Suarez, Detmers, Rodriguez, Barria. This doesn't include other overall positive developments from guys like Tyler, Criswell, etc.

2) The lineup, if healthy, is stacked. The only real gap is SS, but given how strong the lineup is, they can risk it with Rengifo.

3) Upcoming trades. I think the Angels falling below .500 signals to Minasian that selling is the likely course, regardless of what he says publicly. He can hopefully turn some of Raisel, Cobb, Heaney, even Iglesias, Gosselin, Watson, Cishek, and Ward into young, controllable arms. Who knows, maybe he dangles Adell for Marquez.

The above means that most of their spending money can be directed towards the bullpen. I'd want them to sign one good starter, but I don't think they absolutely have to get a second guy or spend on any position players.

Meaning, they can allot $20-30M on the bullpen. That should get them one elite arm and two or three quality veterans. They can fill the rest out with minor leaguers.

49 minutes ago, Jason said:

It almost feels like luck plays a role when it comes to having a good, dependable bullpen. 

It is when the pen is full of lottery tickets, reclamation projects, and up and comers. Sure, I get that relievers are erratic, but the best relievers are the most consistent year after year, game after game. Relievers like Chapman, Jansen, even vets like Joe Smith a few years ago, our own Iglesias, choose your own favourites there are plenty out there - yes they will have blips but there are good reasons they get paid well. The Angels just don't seem to want to consider that and consistently try to build the pen on the cheap. I think we can conclude after the last few years that that strategy simply doesn't work.

Now they've drafted a bucket-load of college pitchers (thanks and well done Perry) "Spend on the Pen" is going to be my new mantra.

Spend on the Pen!

On 7/19/2021 at 10:07 PM, Angel Oracle said:

One thing is for sure.

No more pens with mostly pus throwers!

Teams nowadays mainly have hard throwers with a solid secondary pitch.

How many other MLB teams employ as many pus throwers in the pen as the Halos do?

Well, the thought process is to change the look....Which is why you have a sidewinder from either side of the bump (Cishek & Claudio both situational guys). Two hard throwers in Mayers and Raisel and at the time an unknown in CROD. A lefty in Watson who has done everything from situational to closer and a couple long men former starters in Pena/Quintana!

The reality:

A couple of Hard throwers in Mayers/Raisel and 3 situational pieces thrown into full inning guys (Cishek, Claudio and Watson). An injury to your unknown asset in CROD. An injury to your long guy in Pena. And Quintana/Bundy have been dog shit in the rotation and pen!

It's knowing what you have and how to best utilize them in each specific situation! We already know about their abilities either starting an inning or coming in with runners on. That's on the coaching staff and pitching coach and knowing how to place his arms in a game for success rather than just get by!