• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers sign Pujols

mmc

First base comparisons:

Walsh - .290 .355 .931 OPS - 5th among all first basemen for the year for OPS. 

Albert - .228 .273 .718 OPS - 29th place for the year for OPS.

Walsh 18 HRs - 3rd for the year among all first basemen

Albert 11 HRs - Tied 12th

Walsh 36 XBH Tied 2nd

Albert 13 XBH 29th place

Walsh .355 OBP 12th place

Albert .273 OBP 40th

Walsh .290 BA 4th place

Albert .228 BA 32nd place

Walsh 1B Fielding Pct .995

Albert 1B Fielding Pct .989

Walsh 147 total Bases - 3rd place

Albert 72 total Bases - 26th place

Yup, pretty happy with the Angels first base situation.

Since Albert was DFA’ed (5/6):

Walsh: .263/.315/.577/.892 

Pujols: .263/.300/.526/.826

It was still the right move. The Dodgers simply know/can use Pujols more effectively than the Angels. There was an obligation/lack of better options here that led to them playing Albert more than he should. He also had an unwarranted understanding of how often he should play. The entire situation worked out to everyone’s benefit. 

Edited by totdprods

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It was still the right move. The Dodgers simply know/can use Pujols more effectively than the Angels. There was an obligation/lack of better options here that led to them playing Albert more than he should. He also had an unwarranted understanding of how often he should play. The entire situation worked out to everyone’s benefit. 

And I thought I was good at rationalization.

34 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I think the Dodgers are using Pujols about the same way the Angels wanted to but Albert threw a bitch fit and took his ball home. Good fucking riddance.

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I think the Dodgers are using Pujols about the same way the Angels wanted to but Albert threw a bitch fit and took his ball home. Good fucking riddance.

I mentioned that too. 

Also wouldn’t surprise me if the Dodgers analytics and data were markedly better than what the Angels have in terms of deciding how to use him. 

It allowed Walsh, Ward, and Ohtani to flourish with more playing time here. The right move.

2 hours ago, Lou said:

Releasing Albert has also allowed Ward to take over in RF. Since May 17th, he's hit 5 HRs and has an OPS of .819

this is actually the more appropriate comp.  Walsh was gonna play regardless of whether Albert was here or not.  What Albert is doing now is irrelevant to the decision because there was too much evidence that he wasn't going to be anything more than what he was at the time we let him go.  Ward is way better than that.  

NL teams should watch video from the AL on how to pitch the guy because that resulted in a .697 ops over his last 1842 plate appearances over a four year span.  There are no splits from that time period that I can see to indicate he would perform like this.  His ops vs. lefties over the last 4 years with the halos is actually lower than the above .697.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

this is actually the more appropriate comp.  Walsh was gonna play regardless of whether Albert was here or not.  What Albert is doing now is irrelevant to the decision because there was too much evidence that he wasn't going to be anything more than what he was at the time we let him go.  Ward is way better than that.  

NL teams should watch video from the AL on how to pitch the guy because that resulted in a .697 ops over his last 1842 plate appearances over a four year span.  There are no splits from that time period that I can see to indicate he would perform like this.  His ops vs. lefties over the last 4 years with the halos is actually lower than the above .697.  

That's what leads me to think there's more at work here than boiling it down to simple platoon splits. 

Either its luck, new motivation from Pujols, unfamiliarity with NL pitchers, or Dodgers analytics tracking something - perhaps a certain type of lefty or a new source of data that Albert was able (or finally willing) to interpret that's allowing some of this success. Or likelier a combo of all. 

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

To all of those who say that the Angels are missing Pujols' bat against southpaws. 

E4YiVk_VoAE-u7T.jpeg

Albert had an ops below .700 vs LHP for the halos the last four years.  Over almost 500 plate appearances.  Let's make that comparison.  Not even sure why we'd assume that Albert would suddenly start hitting lefties in the AL at the same rate he is with the dogs after a conversation telling him he's only going to play once in awhile vs. lefties.  

If Albert decided to change his approach to suddenly make himself better because he was either pissed or convinced it was a better way to help the team he's on now then he's a piece of shit and should have been doing it the whole time.  Otherwise it's just that they're pitching him different in the NL and it will reconcile.  

If it's the former and he could have been doing this the whole time then what was stopping him?  Was he unmotivated?  

And just to put things into perspective, even with his hot streak of 0.3 WAR over 80 PA with the dogs, that would make him about a 1 win player over the number at bats he'd get as a platoon guy vs. lefties.