• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why I still believe in this team

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

and some of them are correct.  

Probably. But not all of them. 

Think about it: you expect a reliever to always succeed, right? When he does his job have you ever thought “wow, what great managing!”

Did you think that on Sunday, when all three relievers he used pitched a scoreless inning?

Doubtful. 

So the only time you ever connect the manager to the bullpen is when the pitchers fail. 

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Probably. But not all of them. 

Think about it: you expect a reliever to always succeed, right? When he does his job have you ever thought “wow, what great managing!”

Did you think that on Sunday, when all three relievers he used pitched a scoreless inning?

Doubtful. 

So the only time you ever connect the manager to the bullpen is when the pitchers fail. 

Or when he pulls a starter who has just given up his second hit. Friday night and brings back a pitcher who pitched night before, good way to burn them out so early in season.Halo pen only with 3 maybe 4 you can count on now and they will need more.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:39 PM, Swiss Angel Fan said:

I don't post a lot on this forum, but I wanted to bring a little of optimism to the table... I truly believe this is the best team we've had in the past five years and I'm confident it can make the playoffs if healthy. 

When healthy, the lineup is arguably the best in baseball. I was just looking at old opening day lineups for the angels. Compare our ideal (healthy) lineup to 2019 (last full season) and it's not even close:

2021: Fletch, Ohtani, Trout, Rendon, Walsh, Upton, Stassi, Schebler/Lagares, Iglesias

2019: Calhoun, Trout, Bour, Simmons, Pujols, Cozart, LaStella, Lucroy, Bourjos

The team's success is going to depend on the pitching, but if the offense produces as it should, the pitching only needs to be average to slightly above average. And it seems like the Angels have suffered from bad luck. They lead MLB in BABIP at .322 and they have by far the largest differential between their ERA and FIP at 1.40 (the second closest sits at 0.87). So there should be some progress in the future.

I understand the frustration when the team doesn't perform but I think we should at least wait until everybody is healthy until we cast a judgement. After all, they were playing very good baseball up until Rendon and Stassi got hurt.

There is always hope this early but this team still cant pitch. There is still no consistency in the BP and we do not have even 1 starter that is beyond a #3 at best (jury still out on Ohtani-he needs a solid month of success) which means winning streaks beyond 1-2 games are unlikely. This teams will win 75-80 games at most.

On 4/25/2021 at 9:31 AM, Jeff Fletcher said:

They were on a pace for 90 wins 3 days ago. 

They’re 9-10.

Just toss out the bad ones and move on to the next day. They have 143 games left. 

Jeff, why is Pena not back with the team yet? He was one of the best relievers last season and is reportedly healthy. Meanwhile, we see Junior Guerra get lit up whenever he takes the mound. 
Until this organization can draft and develop pitching the mediocre to poor seasons will continue. 
I also don’t think the six man rotation works, too much time between starts to be consistent. It also means fewer starts for Bundy, Cobb and Heaney. I agree that Canning needs to go down and work on his fastball command. Bring back Barria and Sandoval then DFA Guerra. 

33 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

Jeff, why is Pena not back with the team yet? He was one of the best relievers last season and is reportedly healthy. Meanwhile, we see Junior Guerra get lit up whenever he takes the mound. 
Until this organization can draft and develop pitching the mediocre to poor seasons will continue. 
I also don’t think the six man rotation works, too much time between starts to be consistent. It also means fewer starts for Bundy, Cobb and Heaney. I agree that Canning needs to go down and work on his fastball command. Bring back Barria and Sandoval then DFA Guerra. 

They only have 2 optionable relievers: CRod and Slegers, and it sounds like the Angels just didn’t think Peña was better than either of them. 

And Guerra was really good for about 5 games and then bad for 2, I believe. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They only have 2 optionable relievers: CRod and Slegers, and it sounds like the Angels just didn’t think Peña was better than either of them. 

And Guerra was really good for about 5 games and then bad for 2, I believe. 

Also, if you look at Guerra’s career and look at Peña’s career, Guerra is way better. Don’t toss him out based on a couple games. 

How long of a leash will Cishek get?   He’s been mostly mediocre so far in 2021.  WHIP of 2.00 after 7 innings

He was solid through 2019, and then mediocre in 2020.

He has had bouts of control issues in the past, but didn’t give up many hits.   Since 2020, 29 hits allowed in 27 innings to go with the 15 BBs.

Edited by Angel Oracle