• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What has to happen this season for you to consider it a success?

mmc

What has to happen this season for you to consider it a success?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. What has to happen this season for you to consider it a success?

• The Angels need to win the World Series
    • The Angels need to make the World Series
    • The Angels need to get to the ALCS
    • The Angels need to get to the ALDS
    • The Angels need to make the playoffs
    • The Angels need to finish over .500
    • The Angels need to be playing meaningful games through September, but not necessarily finish with a winning record
    • Other (please state what in your reply)

What has to happen, in this 2021 season, for you to consider it a success?  My poll is based on the team's overall performance, but if there's other things you want to touch on, such as specific performances for certain players and prospects, feel free to touch on that in your replies.  Basically, I'm just trying to get a sense of what everyone expects from the team, as well as what they would consider a disappointment.

Looking at the roster, I'd say simply making the playoffs. Not sure they're good enough to do it but any time you have Trout that has to be the minimum result to consider the season to be any sort of success IMO. It's been downright pitiful seeing them be a consistent top 10 payroll team with the best player in the game continuously finishing below .500 the last 5 years

Good news is the division looks pretty weak overall so it's doable

The Angels not only need to make the playoffs, they need to win games in the playoffs.  

I’m so tired of the “Trout hasn’t won a playoff game” narrative.  So just getting to the playoffs isn’t enough for me.  The Angels need to get there, and win.  Plain and simple.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd say that if the team is playing meaningful baseball through September, that would be pretty successful - given the last five years. It would mean that the Angels were legit contenders for most, if not all of the year. Again, we haven't really had that since 2014 (if memory serves).

This is where I am at too and is what I voted for. 

Of course I would be more than happy with more but as long as they keep me interested in the team because they're close and fighting for a playoff spot I'm happy. 

Making the playoffs is a valid stepping stone to even better things. But considering recent history and a new GM, a nice way to becoming a perennial contender. I assume with a 162 game season it will produce a winning record too. Barring critical injuries and covid  complications.

Trout needs to be put in position to show the baseball world what he can do in the post season. His career stands for itself already, but adding playoff  exposure and a fuller line of stats will really enhance his reputation decades from now. Getting in will set a precedent and a new bar for team expectations.

I really don't fixate on spring training, letting everything sort itself out. But once the real season begins it's time to pay attention! I recently bought an 85 inch TV and have just paid for the MLB Extra Inning package. $209. In devalued Canadian funds. On top of a similar price for the NHL Center Ice package. I couldn't stand not watching my Montreal Canadiens, and felt regular Angel games would have to be another priority. So I have the first game all set to record. For the next few months my PVR will be extremely busy, with NHL and MLB games of interest on at the same time. So depending on importance I'll be alternating between live and recorded options.

20210330_212951.jpg

It depends on what works and what doesn't.  If they lose the division because we sucked in RF or the pen failed then I'm gonna be super pissed.  If someone like Rendon has a subpar year or Quintana has a meltdown then I'll likely take things with a grain of salt.  

My worst case scenario losing the division by 2 or 3 games because we didn't do enough in the off season to improve the team when there were opportunities to do so.  

Probably making the playoffs but I suspect that losing in the silly one game “playoff” won’t feel like much progress.  I hate to be a pessimist but I’m really not that high on what they did this off-season.  I think we’re mostly in the same boat that we’ve been in for several years.  That is, hoping Shohei is useful as pitcher, Heaney and Canning are solid.  That a couple of pretty borderline off-season gets are good.  

I say mostly because the situation probably is a little better overall with Bundy and the iglesi(i) better bullpen (seemingly) 

anyway, excited for the season.  It’s sure as shit time for some stuff to break the Angels way.  If we finally get that maybe it’ll be pretty fun. 

A missing option I would have chose, 'Win at least 1 playoff game" for me to consider this a successful improvement for the franchise.  Making the playoffs again and not winning a game would be worse than not making it considering we got swept the last time and also considering the drought in relation to the payroll and having a super star.

26 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

A missing option I would have chose, 'Win at least 1 playoff game" for me to consider this a successful improvement for the franchise.  Making the playoffs again and not winning a game would be worse than not making it considering we got swept the last time and also considering the drought in relation to the payroll and having a super star.

It's there.

"The Angels need to get to the ALDS"

21 hours ago, mmc said:

What has to happen, in this 2021 season, for you to consider it a success?  My poll is based on the team's overall performance, but if there's other things you want to touch on, such as specific performances for certain players and prospects, feel free to touch on that in your replies.  Basically, I'm just trying to get a sense of what everyone expects from the team, as well as what they would consider a disappointment.

My answer was make the playoffs but it really depends on the way the season progresses. If players up their game and develop, especially the pitchers, then some satisfaction can be achieved. A good year from Trout and Ohtani will help. Maybe some minor leaguers show some success in the majors would also help.