• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 MLB Draft Prospects Thread

I've watched a bit of Maddon and Bachman this season, and I've read all about both guys; this is where i stand. 

Ty Madden; 

Strengths

1. Command

2. Mid to uppers Fastball (60 grade Pitch) (mostly 94-96) but it sink

3. 60 grade Slider

4. Build to be a workhorse

5. Solid bet to be a starter: projects to be anywhere from a solid 2-4. 

Weakness:

1. lack of third pitch

2. Low Spin rate on his pitches

3. Fastball is more of contact pitch, rather than a strike out pitch

Best Comp I've seen: Matt Fulmer (In his Prime) 

Likelist Scenario: 160+ innings, with an ERA in the High 3s. 

Sam Buchman 

Strengths

1. Power stuff

2. Big Fastball, wtih Elite Spin-rate

3. One of the best Sliders in the draft. 

4. Big Strike-out guy

5. Should be able to help a Bullpen this year. 

Weakness

1. Releiver risk

2. Needs to work on command

3. hasn't had any big injuries, but has missed time the past few years, with tired arm, inflamation. 

4. Not a fan of his Mechanics 

5. has not shown the ability to eat innings. Only 59.2 Innings this season, compared to 105 for madden. 

Best Comps I've seen have been: Garrett Crochet

Really not a fan of his Mechanics 

Final Thoughts;

Bachman has the higher upsie, but also the greater risk. While Maddon, I see him to be a similar pitcher to what Detmer is this year. A solid 2/3, but will stay in the rotation.

At first glimpse Ty Madden reminds me a lot of Matt Harvey (the good version). Same height and same build. Even their deliveries and repertoires have a few similarities as well. Heavy on the fastball-slider usage and just a fringe-average curveball and changeup.

Edited by rafibomb

2 hours ago, Fourts said:

Assuming Leiter/Rocker gone -- it's Jobe, Bachman, Madden or bust for me at #9 (in that order).   

I'm a huge Jobe fan.  Would probably be my pick period, but HS arms always carry the added risk of injury.  If he is good as he profiled whatever team drafts him will need to give him a slow steady increase of innings.  But he has ridiculous stuff.

We really lucked out with Detmers in the last draft, especially with how he has developed so far. If Detmers was throwing the slider he is now with the increased velocity in college there's no way he is falling to us at pick number 10.

The Angels probably have themselves an opportunity to have a few promising pitching prospects to choose from at number 9: Jackson Jobe, Ty Madden, Sam Bachman, hell I've even seen a few crazy mocks of Rocker falling to us as well.

However, I'm fully prepared to have us choose Colton Cowser or Matt McClain with our pick.

Also the draft is so crazy: I remember Jud Fabian unanimously being in the top 3 (along with Leiter and Rocker) but now he is falling out of the first in every mock. The dude swung himself out of a guaranteed top 5 pick.

Edited by rafibomb

16 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

We really lucked out with Detmers in the last draft, especially with how he has developed so far. If Detmers was throwing the slider he is now with the increased velocity in college there's no way he is falling to us at pick number 10.

The Angels probably have themselves an opportunity to have a few promising pitching prospects to choose from at number 9: Jackson Jobe, Ty Madden, Sam Bachman, hell I've even seen a few crazy mocks of Rocker falling to us as well.

However, I'm fully prepared to have us choose Colton Cowser or Matt McClain with our pick.

Also the draft is so crazy: I remember Jud Fabian unanimously being in the top 3 (along with Leiter and Rocker) but now he is falling out of the first in every mock. The dude swung himself out of a guaranteed top 5 pick.

You're right about us being lucky when we drafted  Detmers. It's funny as I compare this years Detmers to Maddon. Both have two plus pitches and great command/control. For me Maddon is another safe pick.

31 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm a huge Jobe fan.  Would probably be my pick period, but HS arms always carry the added risk of injury.  If he is good as he profiled whatever team drafts him will need to give him a slow steady increase of innings.  But he has ridiculous stuff.

I would say that Jobe has the highest ceiling of any pitcher in the draft.He already has 3 plus pitches with solid command. If it wasnt of Covid he could have got number 1.

if we had a few high and close upside arms in the system, I would not have minded us grabbing Him. But we need to be safe.

3 hours ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I would say that Jobe has the highest ceiling of any pitcher in the draft.He already has 3 plus pitches with solid command. If it wasnt of Covid he could have got number 1.

if we had a few high and close upside arms in the system, I would not have minded us grabbing Him. But we need to be safe.

The chance at a pitcher like Jobe doesn't come along often, he's basically a better much more advanced version of Chris Rodriguez.. 

Works 93-95 ticks higher, spins it around 2300 RPM.   Changeup sits low 80s, the dude's slider has been clocked in the mid 80s at 3,100+ RPM and has been tracked as high as 3300..  To put that number into perspective, there were almost 47,000 sliders thrown in MLB last year ... less than 375 of them ticked in at 3100, and only 9 guys threw as many as 10 all season.  Jobe has been throwing 10+ per game.  He is ridiculous.  Btw, know who the only MLB pitcher to hit 3300 RPM last year was? Griffin Canning.  Jobe was doing it at 17, and without spider tack. 

Safe is fine, but Jobe is a legit unicorn.  If the Angels go with a college arm because "safe", I'd understand, but if there is a pitcher worth taking a risk on its Jobe.

43 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The chance at a pitcher like Jobe doesn't come along often, he's basically a better much more advanced version of Chris Rodriguez.. 

Works 93-95 ticks higher, spins it around 2300 RPM.   Changeup sits low 80s, the dude's slider has been tracked in the mid 80s at 3,100+ RPM and has been tracked as high as 3300..  To put that number into perspective, there were almost 47,000 sliders thrown in MLB last year less than 375 of them ticked in at 3100, and only 9 guys threw as many as 10 all season.  Jobe has been throwing 10+ per game.  He is ridiculous.  Btw, know who the only MLB pitcher to hit 3300 RPM last year? Griffin Canning.  Jobe was doing it at 17, and without spider tack. 

Safe is fine, but Jobe is a legit unicorn.  If the Angels go with a college arm because "safe", I'd understand, but if there is a pitcher worth taking a risk on its Jobe.

Agreed, and that's partly why I feel Bachman is a wise choice. Carries some of Jobe's prep upside with Madden's collegiate polish.  

Honestly, any of those three are competent justifiable picks.  I won't complain if the Angels go Madden, it's just not what I'd do is all. 

As long as we don't select another Will Wilson in round one, I'll be fine with it. 

54 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Works 93-95 ticks higher, spins it around 2300 RPM.   Changeup sits low 80s, the dude's slider has been clocked in the mid 80s at 3,100+ RPM and has been tracked as high as 3300..  To put that number into perspective, there were almost 47,000 sliders thrown in MLB last year ... less than 375 of them ticked in at 3100, and only 9 guys threw as many as 10 all season.  Jobe has been throwing 10+ per game.  He is ridiculous.  Btw, know who the only MLB pitcher to hit 3300 RPM last year was? Griffin Canning.  Jobe was doing it at 17, and without spider tack. 

I don't like drafting high schoolers, especially pitchers, and never in the 1st round. 

But if you're certain you can sign him - you're right, he sounds like a unicorn, and if it were up to me, I'd take him if he's there - but I don't think he will be.  

After that, I agree with @Second Base on Bachman over Madden -I like a guy who can miss bats, and if I'm building towards a playoff team, I want pitchers that can dominate.  But Madden wouldn't be a terrible pick - I think Madden has less risk weighed against  less upside.  

(all assuming Leiter and Rocker are off the board - and I could see Rocker falling to us - people seem to have doubts ...)

Most of the mock drafts suggest we're taking a position player ...  🙄

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

But if you're certain you can sign him - you're right, he sounds like a unicorn, and if it were up to me, I'd take him if he's there - but I don't think he will be.  

Ultimately I think this will be the case and the Angels won't have to make the decision.   And as a whole I'm with you on HS pitchers in the first round, but I really do think the kid may be a unicorn.

19 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

They're gonna draft a toolsy infielder for the lols

According to Baseball America in their updated Mock Draft, you're half correct. Another toolsy OF. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/mlb-mock-draft/

Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 11.05.45 AM.png

MLB.com's Mock Draft has him going 28th to the Padres. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-23-2021

27. Padres: Will Taylor, OF, Dutch Fork HS (Irmo, S.C.)
Teams may get more clarity on Taylor's desires on Friday, when he's due to report to Clemson's summer football camp as a wide receiver. If he does participate, it won't affect his Draft eligibility, but it wouldn't bode well for his signability. The Padres are linked to several other prep hitters such as Mack, Baez, Stovall, Carson Williams and Kinney.