• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 MLB Draft Prospects Thread

On 6/24/2021 at 10:01 PM, Dochalo said:

think of the awesome nickname possibilities for AO if we draft Jobe.  

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

My secret hope is that Jobe somehow falls to the Angels. Don't think it will happen, but he's probably the highest upside arm in the draft, if more risky than the college guys.

Plus, the name: JOBE. We'd get to hear Angel Oracle call him CHODE when he got bombed.

thief

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup...   Dude is everything I tend to steer clear of in the first round but he's a unicorn.

Legit has better stuff than either of the Vandy guys.

will he get to us at 9?  

I'm feeling a ton of pen risk for a bunch of the college pitchers.  

On 7/1/2021 at 1:59 AM, Dochalo said:

will he get to us at 9?  

I'm feeling a ton of pen risk for a bunch of the college pitchers.  

I doubt he will, it's really going to come down to people being afraid of taking a HS pitcher too early.  KC having loaded up on so many college SPs may feel they can afford a little extra risk.  The Red Sox were a team I was worried about but I'm hearing they are hard after position players -- they have been out to watch Leiter a ton.   

What I have heard from scouts in the Yankees, Cinci and Sox systems is that the HS hitters are getting a lot of traction, a LOT of traction.   

Also, I know a lot of people like Madden, in part because he's shown himself capable of going deep into games but his usage this year worries me a ton.  Dude went from 25 IP last year to 100 IP this year.   He didn't see any Stanford under Marquess level pitch counts but, I always worry about innings shock the year after a huge uptick in usage.

Anyway, like I said.  I would never consider a HS SP in the first 10 picks but this kid is the exception.

As long as Madden is limited enough this season in the minors, and then pitch around 120 innings next season, he’ll be ready for MLB by ST 2023.

He’s got the 4 pitch mix to be a #3 starter, maybe #2 starter.

He’s also got a durable build for a starter.

He also got CWS experience this season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

I haven’t really been in this discussion yet, but to me, it’s best player available, hands down. 

2-3 years from now, we could need hitting help just as much as we need pitching help today. Trout could be regressing/injury prone, Ohtani might have walked, Rendon could be a pumpkin, and Adell/Marsh etc. might not have panned out or were traded for pitching, while Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Detmers, etc. and all of our other efforts to address pitching might have finally panned out.

Or the opposite. Either way, draft best available because everything is always changing regarding the MLB team needs. 

Edited by totdprods

54 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I haven’t really been in this discussion yet, but to me, it’s best player available, hands down. 

2-3 years from now, we could need hitting help just as much as we need pitching help today. Trout could be regressing/injury prone, Ohtani might have walked, Rendon could be a pumpkin, and Adell/Marsh etc. might not have panned out or we’re traded for pitching, while Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Detmers, etc. and all of our other efforts to address pitching might have finally panned out.

Or the opposite. Either way, draft best available because everything is always changing regarding the MLB team needs. 

I get this.   It’s just a matter of effectively projecting a HS position player.   They do have a lot of younger athletic prospects in the lower minors.

Some of the talk says that if Detroit doesn't take Jobe when they are up, he will likely be there when the Angels pick.  The other noise out there is that Detroit is wanting to go below slot with their 1st round pick so...  Not sure how that plan would work with a guy with a college commitment.

Fangraphs' latest draft has us taking Jackson Jobe

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-2-0-3/

9. Los Angeles Angels
Pick: Jackson Jobe, RHP, Heritage Hall HS (OK)

The Angels rumors have been all over the board but they’re in a spot where one of the nine players mocked so far will fall to them and be considered good value. This is probably the ceiling for Texas right-hander Ty Madden, and there is a late rumor of them starting to kick the tires on two-way prep star Bubba Chandler, who is seen by most as more of second-half of the first round talent. Jobe, who might go as high as three, has some of the best raw stuff in the draft and has impressed this spring with his ability to harness it within the zone.

I think doing a mock draft is difficult to do without having relatively in depth knowledge of each organization. 

For example, the Angels under Swanson and Eppler loved drafting elite athletes that are pretty raw, the exception in this case being Will Wilson. So automatically, you start thinking Chandler or Montgomery. 

However, when they started that upside talent, they were doing so because the system overall severely lacked it. Now, it seems like that's about all the Angels have on farm, a bunch of really raw prospects that might turn into superstars or might flame out in AA. 

So then you think, "ok well, what is the system lacking? They'll probably draft whatever that is." And the answer of course is pitching. Polished, upside starting pitching. And that typically comes among the college ranks. 

So then you think Rocker, Bachman or Madden. 

And now to throw in the wrinkle. While Swanson is still around, Perry Minasian is now the GM and he ultimately has final say. With the Braves as the AGM with a scouting emphasis (which means he played a large role in the draft), he took one collegiate pitcher, two collegiate position players and one prep pitcher. 

It really just looks like they took the best player available, but admittedly, almost every pick lacked typical first round upside but had considerable polish. 

So when you throw all this information into a large bowl and start stirring it up and mixing it all together, what you end up with is really NO IDEA what they're going to do. 

But best guess, I think you'll probably see the Angels take a pitcher, but someone with the upside Swanson wants, and the polish Minasian wants. Likely a collegiate option. 

Bachman has the upside, but likely not the polish. Madden had the polish but maybe not the upside. 

My guess is the Angels will take Kumar Rocker if he's still available. If he isn't, I think they'll take Madden.

If it were me, it would be Rocker or Bachman, but the Angels typically don't do what I'd do. Who knows, maybe @Inside Pitchis right about Jobe being a unicorn and they take him. 

But yes, my guess is Kumar Rocker, final answer. 

Edited by Second Base

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think doing a mock draft is difficult to do without having relatively in depth knowledge of each organization. 

For example, the Angels under Swanson and Eppler loved drafting elite athletes that are pretty raw, the exception in this case being Will Wilson. So automatically, you start thinking Chandler or Montgomery. 

However, when they started that upside talent, they were doing so because the system overall severely lacked it. Now, it seems like that's about all the Angels have on farm, a bunch of really raw prospects that might turn into superstars or might flame out in AA. 

So then you think, "ok well, what is the system lacking? They'll probably draft whatever that is." And the answer of course is pitching. Polished, upside starting pitching. And that typically comes among the college ranks. 

So then you think Rocker, Bachman or Madden. 

And now to throw in the wrinkle. While Swanson is still around, Perry Minasian is now the GM and he ultimately has final say. With the Braves as the AGM with a scouting emphasis (which means he played a large role in the draft), he took one collegiate pitcher, two collegiate position players and one prep pitcher. 

It really just looks like they took the best player available, but admittedly, almost every pick lacked typical first round upside but had considerable polish. 

So when you throw all this information into a large bowl and start stirring it up and mixing it all together, what you end up with is really NO IDEA what they're going to do. 

But best guess, I think you'll probably see the Angels take a pitcher, but someone with the upside Swanson wants, and the polish Minasian wants. Likely a collegiate option. 

Bachman has the upside, but likely not the polish. Madden had the polish but maybe not the upside. 

My guess is the Angels will take Kumar Rocker if he's still available. If he isn't, I think they'll take Madden.

If it were me, it would be Rocker or Bachman, but the Angels typically don't do what I'd do. 

Any thoughts on what they will do in the second round, strategy wise?

3 minutes ago, Revad said:

If it were me, collegiate starter. There's a couple every year taken in the second round that actually end up being solid mid rotation starters. 

But again, the Angels rarely do what I would do, so my guess is we'll see a healthy dose of BPA (best player available). 

Beyond the first couple rounds, once we get into the third and fourth rounds, Minasian will be relying on Swanson, and I think we'll see him bring in a couple upside guys similar to Koxhanowicz. 

1 hour ago, Revad said:

this may sound kind of curt but I don't think the Angels have ever deviated from their strategy of picking the BPA in every round.  I am assuming that strategy of course because in baseball, you just don't draft for need or proximity to the bigs.  

If you've got a candidate that you like better than another then you draft them.  If you feel like two guys are fairly equal then you might go with the position that there is less of in your system.  

The draft is fun but assume a minimum of 2 full years and probably closer to 4 or 5 for a guy to get to the bigs.  And that's more for a college player.  HS you can assume 4 years at least.  

I've felt this forever but you don't sacrifice what's best for an org as a whole because the MLB team need a bit of help in one area.  The same thing applies for trades.  Don't play year to year which is what the halos have been doing at the big league level for awhile.