• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 MLB Draft Prospects Thread

1 hour ago, arch stanton said:

The talk of Jobe on here reminds me a lot of the talk about Adell in his draft year. So let us all remember that this is a high schooler and if they draft him we can slot him in for 2026ish

So about 5 years in, after his two cy youngs for us, we can sign him to a big extension the year pujols' personal services contract comes off the books. Sweet!

Move this to the arte has a gigantic brain thread.

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The talk of Jobe on here reminds me a lot of the talk about Adell in his draft year. So let us all remember that this is a high schooler and if they draft him we can slot him in for 2026ish

Really?  There was very little talk about Adell until after he was drafted and then most of the talk was how he was raw and scouts questioned his ability to make contact. 

What exactly is it you remember?  

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So hes your fingers crossed pick?

How soon would he likely be MLB ready? 4 years?

He's who I have wanted period.  I just don't want to set myself up for disappointment.

As far as hos soon... Impossible to say with pitchers, pitchers develop differently, once they can make their own outs they can move up.  Chris Rodriguez is a great example of what I'm talking about.  A lot of people here were talking about how some of us were getting ahead of ourselves, that he had missed too much time, had lost development time, had only pitched a handful of innings at even A Ball.   He came up and was easily our most dominant RP until his injury.  

Jobe is ahead of where Rodriguez was when he was drafted, far far ahead.  Chris Rodriguez made it to the majors after all of 65 minor league innings.  He pitched 9 competitive innings between 2018 and 2020.

Stuff is a mofo.

55 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Really?  There was very little talk about Adell until after he was drafted and then most of the talk was how he was raw and scouts questioned his ability to make contact. 

What exactly is it you remember?  

I remember the hype building just before the draft that even though raw he might end up being the star of the class. Mature for his age. All that. Then, since we were all so glad not to be drafting "advanced college bat" guy that we put huge and impatient expectations on him. I think the success of the Latin kids has put unrealistic expectation on all the high first round high schoolers. It can't be easy to be Micky Moniak or Royce Lewis these days

11 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

I remember the hype building just before the draft that even though raw he might end up being the star of the class. Mature for his age. All that. Then, since we were all so glad not to be drafting "advanced college bat" guy that we put huge and impatient expectations on him. I think the success of the Latin kids has put unrealistic expectation on all the high first round high schoolers. It can't be easy to be Micky Moniak or Royce Lewis these days

Gotcha..  I was curious what it was you remember because he was definitely someone that didn't get a lot of attention from Angels fans until just before the draft.

Also...  I agree 100% people expect too much too soon.  That said, it's interesting how little production there has been from all of the advanced college bats taken in that first round.  Evan White is looking like a bust.  Brendan McKay is a pitcher now full time.  Adam Haseley has gone backwards every year since he was first promoted.  Brent Rooker is already 26 and an owner of a .610 career OPS.   Jake Burger had probably done the best but it's been 17 at bats.  Keston Hiura was THE college guy that year and man, he looked like he was going to live up to the hype after his first year but it's been a freefall since then.

Looking back at the top HS pitchers from a few years ago, Riley Pint retired without ever getting out of A ball. MacKenzie Gore got screwed by the pandemic last year but is finally just now in AAA this season. Detmers will likely beat him to the majors

19 hours ago, arch stanton said:

"Nick Adenhart was drafted by the Angels in the 14th round of the 2004 Major League Baseball draft, and began playing in their minor league system after the surgery was a success. He spent three full seasons in the minor leagues before making his major league debut on May 1, 2008."

So maybe 2024ish for Jackson Jobe.