• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 MLB Draft Prospects Thread

23 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Gotcha..  I was curious what it was you remember because he was definitely someone that didn't get a lot of attention from Angels fans until just before the draft.

Also...  I agree 100% people expect too much too soon.  That said, it's interesting how little production there has been from all of the advanced college bats taken in that first round.  Evan White is looking like a bust.  Brendan McKay is a pitcher now full time.  Adam Haseley has gone backwards every year since he was first promoted.  Brent Rooker is already 26 and an owner of a .610 career OPS.   Jake Burger had probably done the best but it's been 17 at bats.  Keston Hiura was THE college guy that year and man, he looked like he was going to live up to the hype after his first year but it's been a freefall since then.

Cron has looked like Ohtani compared to most of those college bats.

11 hours ago, Stax said:

"Nick Adenhart was drafted by the Angels in the 14th round of the 2004 Major League Baseball draft, and began playing in their minor league system after the surgery was a success. He spent three full seasons in the minor leagues before making his major league debut on May 1, 2008."

So maybe 2024ish for Jackson Jobe.

Nick was recovering from TJS and had a nice scholarship offer when the Halos drafted him, thus the drop in draft position.

Nonetheless, ST 2024 could be possible for Jobe, but best to let his development play out.

Edited by Angel Oracle

Just read Kiley McDaniel's (ESPN) and Keith Law's (The Athletic) final drafts. 

Interestingly, they both had Will Taylor (CF, Dutch Fork H.S.) as the pick.  Furthermore, Law alluded to Taylor's people telling others he has a pre-draft deal in place with a team in the top half.  Most think it's the Angels. 

52 minutes ago, halomatt said:

Just read Kiley McDaniel's (ESPN) and Keith Law's (The Athletic) final drafts. 

Interestingly, they both had Will Taylor (CF, Dutch Fork H.S.) as the pick.  Furthermore, Law alluded to Taylor's people telling others he has a pre-draft deal in place with a team in the top half.  Most think it's the Angels. 

I don't believe it.  Every front office that Minasian has ever worked for has picked a pitcher with their first round pick.  That, combined with the Angels' obvious pitching needs, convinces me that whoever we pick will be a pitcher and not a position player.

Pretty much everything I read about the HS'ers being mentioned in the first round I learn from posters here and those guys are usually the biggest question marks.  I'd love it if Rocker fell to the Angels.  Read an article that pointed out he's been under a microscope for a few years now which has actually hurt his value in some ways as he's been over analyzed.  I realize he had some velocity issues this year but barring any injury concerns he seems like a guy who could be contributing at the major league level next year. 

2 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

I don't believe it.  Every front office that Minasian has ever worked for has picked a pitcher with their first round pick.  That, combined with the Angels' obvious pitching needs, convinces me that whoever we pick will be a pitcher and not a position player.

That's not even close to true. He was the Blue Jays scouting director from 2010-2016, and the Braves AGM from 2017-2020. 

In two of the seven drafts with Toronto, he took DJ Davis, and Max Pentecost with his first pick, an outfielder and a catcher. 

In 2019 with the Braves, he took Shea Langeliers, a catcher, and Braden Shewmake, a shortstop in the first round. 

In eight of his eleven drafts, he has taken a pitcher in the first round, and I consider it highly likely it he'll take a pitcher this time, but let's not just make crap up to prove our point. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

That's not even close to true. He was the Blue Jays scouting director from 2010-2016, and the Braves AGM from 2017-2020. 

In two of the seven drafts with Toronto, he took DJ Davis, and Max Pentecost with his first pick, an outfielder and a catcher. 

In 2019 with the Braves, he took Shea Langeliers, a catcher, and Braden Shewmake, a shortstop in the first round. 

In eight of his eleven drafts, he has taken a pitcher in the first round, and I consider it highly likely it he'll take a pitcher this time, but let's not just make crap up to prove our point. 

he's quoting some source that i saw as well, in regards to having chosen a pitcher with every 1st round pick.

Obviously a top college arm would be the best pick, as they'll likely be ready within 2 years. 

But drafting to the team's current needs isn't necessarily the best way to go. Whoever they pick isn't going to immediately impact the team. Hell if they get Jobe it could be 3-4 years before he has any impact. Possibly more. That's a long time.

Nick Nastrini could be an interesting pick in the later rounds as this is from a fangraphs article.

Nick Nastrini, RHP, UCLA

In my debut article for FanGraphs, I raved about the elite carry of Jack Leiter’s fastball and how it symbolized his talent. But what if there’s a pitcher who has him beat in that regard? Believe it or not, Nastrini edges out Leiter by around three inches, with similar velocity and an even more optimal spin axis closer to 180 degrees.

The catch with Nastrini is his track record. In his freshman year in 2019, he recorded 17 punch-outs in 10.2 innings before undergoing surgery to treat thoracic outlet syndrome. He struggled with command to begin 2020 before the season shut down due to the pandemic. He dominated in his first two California Collegiate League outings this year but got injured in May and failed to record an out in his final two outings.

Despite this, there’s a lot to like about Nastrini. Beside the fastball, his changeup flashes plus breaks in both directions, and while the slider and curveball lag behind, they’re still above-average offerings. Along with the four-pitch repertoire, he has a prototypical starter’s build (6-foot-3, 204 lbs.) and a clean, repeatable delivery. That last detail suggests his wavering command is more due to inconsistent release points, which teams could hope to adjust.

It goes without saying that Nastrini’s relief risk is much, much bigger than the average top-round pick (that’s why he’s on this list), but I don’t see a team like the Dodgers or Brewers passing up on 20+ inches of induced vertical break.

1 hour ago, ukyah said:

i don't get too worked up over mlb drafts, but if they pass up on one of the top SP prospects to draft a high school CF, then i'm gonna lose my shit.

A high school CF'er from New Jersey has worked out pretty well for us.....I think you need to be flexible and not lock in on a college this or a high school that....That said, if I knew that there was another Detmers at #9, I'd make that pick in a heartbeat.....

Interesting that we now have two sets of rankings (BA & mlb.com) that agree on the top 8 players (not in the same order).  The 4 HS shortstops, the 2 Vandy pitchers, plus Henry Davis and Jackson Jobe.  That's somewhat rare.

That tells me there's a line between #8 and #9 on some draft lists.

1 hour ago, GoodTimesGoneBad said:

Detmers could be another Newcomb. They should pick the best pitcher available, high school or college. 

I have to admit I was a big Newcomb fan, but Detmers really isn't anything like him. Newcomb could never develop a good 3rd or 4th.

Agree though that position shouldn't matter in a draft. Take the best player.