• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021 MLB Draft Prospects Thread

Do any of these publications realize that we have a brand new GM (in addition to scouts) this year?  Why do i keep seeing them reference Jo Adell types, athletic young OFS, etc. for the Angels pick?  What we did in prior years is no longer applicable considering we have a whole new regime.  We have no idea what drafting philosophy and direction our new GM will take.  But looking at the guy who was here the prior 5 years and using that to determine a pick makes no sense.  Is it laziness, stupidity or something else.  

I'd pass on Benny Montgomery. Good BP, good HR derby swing, great bat speed. However, not loving what I see in the field, and he's got a hitch in his swing that definitely needs to be fixed. 

Not only that, this team is so full of projectable outfielders at this point that grabbing another doesn't improve the team in the future. 

Stick with upside college pitchers and keep sticking with pitching for another five years. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I'd pass on Benny Montgomery. Good BP, good HR derby swing, great bat speed. However, not loving what I see in the field, and he's got a hitch in his swing that definitely needs to be fixed. 

Not only that, this team is so full of projectable outfielders at this point that grabbing another doesn't improve the team in the future. 

Stick with upside college pitchers and keep sticking with pitching for another five years. 

Pitching and defense takes a team into contention.

Edited by Angel Oracle

My philosophy for winning in a given season is to be absolutely dominant in one phase of the game while being at least passable in the others. Any true weakness is a killer. And for the long term you have to accumulate talent in any and all manner that can be used either on the field or as chips to acquire the proper pieces to achieve the before mentioned seasonal goal

14 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

My philosophy for winning in a given season is to be absolutely dominant in one phase of the game while being at least passable in the others. Any true weakness is a killer. And for the long term you have to accumulate talent in any and all manner that can be used either on the field or as chips to acquire the proper pieces to achieve the before mentioned seasonal goal

This is where Tampa and Oakland really thrive.  They both usually have great bullpens.  Oakland also plays great defense.  I don’t know if Tampa is great defensively, but it would make sense.  

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

That is called "Balance".

On 6/6/2021 at 3:35 PM, greginpsca said:

That is called "Balance".

Correct. 

The 2002 Angels had solid not spectacular pitching, but their offense, defense and bullpen was well above average. 

The Mariners have an amazing bullpen, the best I believe in the majors. Their SP has been fairly good, middle of the pack at worst. But their offense has been downright awful. 

Balance is the key. 

In the spirit of going after a college arm in this draft, leaving out Rocker and Leiter of whom we have no chance at picking at #9, here are the best college arms available ranked by Baseball America. 

Of these, which one would you draft?

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.58.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.59.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.59.39 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-08 at 9.59.59 AM.png

It seem to be between two guys, Madden and bachman. 

Bachman, has the higher ceiling and stuff, but the injuries history is a concern. While madden, does not have that same upside as Bachman, but looks like a safer pick? 

I hope we have solid draft, similar to the Royals 2018 and last years padres, where they were able to draft first round talent in the later drafts and sign them. It's kinda of crazy to think that the Royals were ablet to build their rotation from the 2018 draft. 

Gotta take Madden if he's there.

Hoglund might last 'til the end of the 1st round or into the comp round, same with Jaden Hill - this would be a year to have a comp pick - seems like no chance they'll be around for our 2nd pick (#45)

I see one mock draft has us taking Jackson Jobe - a high schooler - he could be one of those guys that 5 years from now you look back and say "dammit - we could've drafted that guy ..."