• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I remember a couple pages in this thread where we discussed that swing on the left with all it's complex timing issues etc. where he was still swinging through tons of strikes.  Then like a week later he cleaned it up and has been on a different trajectory ever since.  

That's Upton on the right...  That's who he looks like swing wise.

take from our two younger staters;

Rodriguez In my eye's is a starter. His pitches, mechanic remind me alot of Jose berrios. I really like 2 seamers, and i think the next step for him to improve, will be to learn how to use the 2-seamers at the hitters hands. The Windup does put alot of pressure on him and might have to be toned down or i Can see him going to the Stetch.  He young and there is alot to learn, but he can be a 1/2 in any rotation. 

Detmers, I also liked alot of thing in his start. That Curve is a plus-plus pitch. Next step would be iprove his command and control off his pitches. Even in the Minors he's missed in the middle alot. Another thing i would like to see him do is throw more towars the east and west side of the plate, ghis curve has 11-6 movements, and at time I would like it to start on the outside part of the joing and have it hit that outside strioke zone to a right hand better. His Slider is atleat an above-average pitch, the break on it is unreal. Looking forward to his next apperance. 

On 8/1/2021 at 2:26 AM, Dochalo said:

Jose Marte finished the game for the RCTP tonight.  A scoreless inning with two k's.  Throwing 99mph with movement.  Big guy who's listed at 180 lbs but if he's 180 then I'm 130.  I'm not 130.  He's probably 220+.  If he's suddenly found the ability to throw strike after being converted to a reliever then he's gonna be in our pen next year for sure.  Oh and the slider was pretty good.  

Thank you Giants!

On 8/2/2021 at 8:40 AM, GrittyVeterans said:

Still has 99 strikeouts in 339 plate appearances. That's wayyyy too many still and only expected to rise at the Major League level. I'd like to see him stay down in AAA and keep building on his improvements and then get the call on September 1st. There is no rush with him at this point. Already kind of botched him last year IMO. Just let him get comfortable

After 21 Ks in first 47 PAs, 78 Ks in 292 PAs, that’s tolerable.

The OBP is improving too.

Part of the intl crew from recent.  He's actually 17 about to turn 18 but that's some pretty good pop for an 18yo.  Catcher with 6 doubles and 2hrs for the DSL in his first 43 at bats.  Has also stolen two bags.   He's actually spent half his innings so far at C and the other half at 1b.  Really like the look of that swing

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Part of the intl crew from recent.  He's actually 17 about to turn 18 but that's some pretty good pop for an 18yo.  Catcher with 6 doubles and 2hrs for the DSL in his first 43 at bats.  Has also stolen two bags.   He's actually spent half his innings so far at C and the other half at 1b.  Really like the look of that swing

Looks like Adell's stance in Spring Training.

2 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't have the practiced eye that many here have, but is it just me or is Quero's swing especially compact, with impressive bat speed? 

He is fairly quiet at the plate but his head moves too much after the release from the pitcher, he needs to resolve that, maybe with a toe-tap instead of a leg-kick - watch the very best hitters and much like golfers the body moves while the head stays still (to track the ball accurately), but yes, boy are those hands fast! 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't have the practiced eye that many here have, but is it just me or is Quero's swing especially compact, with impressive bat speed? 

So there's a few things that Quero is doing right at least by this angle. One of the bigger ones is that his back elbow is down and his hands are for the most part, already back. Too many guys have drifting hands and point their elbows back as a matter of comfort. He's removed that step and effectively shortened his swing as a result. 

The second is a strong base, with steady bent (but not too bent) knees. Some guys can get away with a more upright stance but when that happens, as the ball is coming in, their head tends to change levels during the swing. When that happens, it makes it hard to stay in the ball because the eye perceives the ball moving even more than it already does. His head is steady, showing him to focus on the ball easier. 

The third is his load. Lots of players are using a higher kick these days. There's even a fad going around where players have a higher kick but instead of turning their hips in to load, the for hours straight up and down. Jo Adell was big on that last year and before. And while it works for some, it says the batter of his natural hip load. By turning your hips, showing the pitcher your ass so to speak, you've loaded, or in Japan they call it coiled, and are ready to unleash your swing.

Quero's swing does it perfect. A short kick, a hip load, no starting hands, head is steady, and he strikes. And he swings through the ball too. Hands finish high. 

If I could perfectly design a swing based on everything we try to teach players, it would look a lot like what we see Quero doing. Though completely different body types, and so the swing looks different, but fundamentally being the same, it's Christian Yelich's swing. 

It's a thing of beauty. The more I watch, the more I like with him.