• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats the timetable on Adell? Is he likely to be up next year, or maybe starting the year in the minors again?

And for those of you following closely, what improvements has he made this season?

He can now catch most fly balls hit in his direction

Still has 99 strikeouts in 339 plate appearances. That's wayyyy too many still and only expected to rise at the Major League level. I'd like to see him stay down in AAA and keep building on his improvements and then get the call on September 1st. There is no rush with him at this point. Already kind of botched him last year IMO. Just let him get comfortable

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Still has 99 strikeouts in 339 plate appearances. That's wayyyy too many still and only expected to rise at the Major League level. I'd like to see him stay down in AAA and keep building on his improvements and then get the call on September 1st. There is no rush with him at this point. Already kind of botched him last year IMO. Just let him get comfortable

I’d be down with the Halos trading him if other teams have a high value on him. I just have a feeling he isn’t going to be a good major leaguer. I think Marsh will have the better career 

2 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I agree he strikes out too much, but he’s striking out less at AAA than Ohtani is at the major league level. 

48 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I agree he strikes out too much, but he’s striking out less at AAA than Ohtani is at the major league level. 

That’s true. I don’t mean it as an overwhelming negative against Adell. It’s more an argument to just leave him down there the rest of this month. He’s still only 22.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I’d be down with the Halos trading him if other teams have a high value on him. I just have a feeling he isn’t going to be a good major leaguer. I think Marsh will have the better career 

See, I keep seeing people say this on here. But I’m not so sure at all. I still view Marsh and Adell as being very different players but being very similar in terms of expected outcome at the Major League level. I’ve felt that way for about 3 years now

Marsh is the more ready player right now. He can defend and take walks so people are going to overrate him slightly in my opinion. 

Im still not trading either one unless I get a cost controlled arm that I can’t refuse

Having Adell/Marsh/Trout as the outfield starting mid-next season sounds enticing to me. I’m not saying both are stars right away. But having them making league minimum and being solid startersis important for us

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Whats the timetable on Adell? Is he likely to be up next year, or maybe starting the year in the minors again?

And for those of you following closely, what improvements has he made this season?

I'm going to see the Bees tonight. I will send you my full report*. 

*Unless I get too drunk, which is a 98% probability

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

See, I keep seeing people say this on here. But I’m not so sure at all. I still view Marsh and Adell as being very different players but being very similar in terms of expected outcome at the Major League level. I’ve felt that way for about 3 years now

Marsh is the more ready player right now. He can defend and take walks so people are going to overrate him slightly in my opinion. 

Im still not trading either one unless I get a cost controlled arm that I can’t refuse

Having Adell/Marsh/Trout as the outfield starting mid-next season sounds enticing to me. I’m not saying both are stars right away. But having them making league minimum and being solid startersis important for us

They should hold on to both.  They shouldn't trade them for pitching prospects if for no other reason, injury risks.  Right now, today, the Angels rotation looks to be in better shape than it's OF.   You have Upton year -- regardless of whether or not people think he's good or garbage.   Then you're potentially starring at holes in two of three OF spots.  People will come up with really elaborate 4 for 4 trade offers where they get that stud pitcher and then also pull out an OFer but, I prefer to stay in reality land where teams rarely kill two birds with one stone.

Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Barria, CROD, Detmers is a solid starting point.   You have more guys coming behind them.  Bring back Cobb or find someone better if you'd like.  Find a guy coming off injury if you want "depth" there are always a bunch of them and sometimes they turn into Carlos Rodon.   

Trout/Marsh/Adell could be very good, and more importantly -- allow them to pay less the next three years.   They have holes/needs elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

They should hold on to both.  They shouldn't trade them for pitching prospects if for no other reason, injury risks.  Right now, today, the Angels rotation looks to be in better shape than it's OF.   You have Upton year -- regardless of whether or not people think he's good or garbage.   Then you're potentially starring at holes in two of three OF spots.  People will come up with really elaborate 4 for 4 trade offers where they get that stud pitcher and then also pull out an OFer but, I prefer to stay in reality land where teams rarely kill two birds with one stone.

Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Canning, Barria, CROD, Detmers is a solid starting point.   You have more guys coming behind them.  Bring back Cobb or find someone better if you'd like.  Find a guy coming off injury if you want "depth" there are always a bunch of them and sometimes they turn into Carlos Rodon.   

Trout/Marsh/Adell could be very good, and more importantly -- allow them to pay less the next three years.   They have holes/needs elsewhere.

I love it when you talk so sexy.

A gentle reminder that the Angels seem less likely to bring Jo back up, until the final two weeks of the season, because he has 153 days of service time. They could bring him up in late September for no more than 18 days and then simply bring him up permanently to start the 2022 season and retain the six full years of control, albeit at Super Two status down the road (and to be frank, in 2-3 years, they will either jettison him in a trade if he is not performing as well as expected or they will extend him, so the Super Two status if more of a formality of sorts).

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

This.

Id be fine moving Marsh over him, or vice versa, if it fields us a bonafide starter (like this rumored trade with the Marlins).

And this ties in with the second point. Even if both Marsh and Adell are simply average, but making league minimum, thats going to help the overall cause a lot. 

Obviously I hope both live up to the hype. But wvwn if theyre "merely" Kole Calhoun (instead of some of the bigger names people have used as comps), its still better than weve had in awhile

If Adell can replace upton (current upton, not career)... with the same hot and cold bat, same ugly defense, but uptons money goes to ohtani, and adell gets ohtanis low pay, thats a win

1 hour ago, ettin said:

A gentle reminder that the Angels seem less likely to bring Jo back up, until the final two weeks of the season, because he has 153 days of service time. They could bring him up in late September for no more than 18 days and then simply bring him up permanently to start the 2022 season and retain the six full years of control, albeit at Super Two status down the road (and to be frank, in 2-3 years, they will either jettison him in a trade if he is not performing as well as expected or they will extend him, so the Super Two status if more of a formality of sorts).

the only nit might be that in any season he might be able to accumulate some extra days because the season is 184 days and the total needed for a full season is 172 days.  Not sure how that works but I think those extra days would get added to his previous total.  

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the only nit might be that in any season he might be able to accumulate some extra days because the season is 184 days and the total needed for a full season is 172 days.  Not sure how that works but I think those extra days would get added to his previous total.  

Ahh yes, so they may not even call him up, possibly, if they feel that extra year of control is more desirable.

I'd like to think the Angels will prioritize the well-being of the human being and development of the baseball player over economic considerations, especially given that the first two determine his actual performance.

Looking at it from Adell's perspective, he has worked on his shortcomings and if he is ready to take it to the next level, he should be called up. If the Angels decide he needs more time in the minors, fine, but to not call him up simply to game the system and retain an extra year of control is pretty shitty.

That said, by my calculations, at this point we're talking about whether he'll be eligible for free agency in 2027 or 2028, as he's no longer eligible for 2026. If he had been on the major league roster for 131 of 187 days this year and stayed in the majors going forward, he would have been eligible for 2026, but given that there are only 60 days left (starting tomorrow), that isn't possible.

So now it comes down to 2027 vs 2028. As Doc pointed out, a player has to be on the roster for 172 days of the 187 day season (Doc said 183, but that change to 187 in 2018). Thus, for a player to be eligible for free agency, he needs to have been on the major league roster fo 172 days x 6 years, or 1032 days total. For Adell, what that looks like is this:

Adell so far: 153 days

Days required to be eligible for free agency: 1032 days

Days Adell needs to be eligible for free agency: 879 days (1032 - 153)

Days remaining through:

2021: 60 days 

2022: 247 days

2023: 434 days

2024: 621 days

2025: 808 days

2026: 995 days 

2027: 1182 days

In other words, to be eligible for 2027, he needs to be on the major league roster in 879 of 995 days through 2026, a difference of 116 days. That means if the Angels want to push back his free agency until 2028, they'd need to keep him from the major league roster for 56 days next year (116 - 60 days this year), which is the end of May (assuming that he stays in the majors once he's called up).

So the question is, do we really see the Angels keeping Adell in the minors through May next year, just to push back his free agency until 2028? I really hope not, but there are other factors to consider.

For one, it isn't like Adell is over-ripe right now, and while I think he could hold his own now, it is far from a guarantee and he's not at the point where keeping him in the minors is counter-productive. Yet. 

There's also the fact that he's been surpassed by Marsh, as far as major league readiness is concerned. The Angels likely have their three starting outfielders next year in Upton, Trout, and Marsh. Marsh hasn't looked great statistically speaking, but he's held his own via the eyeball test and will only improve. So keeping Adell in the minors until the end of May next year isn't out of the question, simply because A) he's not over-ripe and B) there might not be a starting gig for him when he is.

So the Angels have to balance a few factors:

1. How Adell looks in AAA (and when he becomes "over-ripe," which I define as the point where he is dominating and it is clear there's nothing more for him to learn in AAA).
  2. How Marsh is performing.
  3. The health of Trout, and health and performance of Upton.
  4. Adell's service time, with 116 days being the difference between 2027 and 2028 in terms of free agency.

Again, I'd like to think that #4 isn't the deciding factor on when Adell is called up. It is something they'll obviously consider, but the first three factors are more important. I hope that if the Angels felt he was ready right now, they'd be playing him over Adam Eaton and Juan Lagares. But given that he still has room to grow, they're playing it safe and, at the same time, knocking days off of those 116.

When Trout comes back, it may be a moot point - unless Upton gets hurt or Marsh really starts to struggle or simply doesn't improve his numbers. Meaning, when Trout is back, as long as Upton isn't hurt and Marsh is holding his own, they can justify keeping Adell in the minors. This could be extended indefinitely into 2022, and they can use it as an excuse to keep him down until June 1.

15 hours ago, sportstr44 said:

I remember a couple pages in this thread where we discussed that swing on the left with all it's complex timing issues etc. where he was still swinging through tons of strikes.  Then like a week later he cleaned it up and has been on a different trajectory ever since.  

22 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I remember a couple pages in this thread where we discussed that swing on the left with all it's complex timing issues etc. where he was still swinging through tons of strikes.  Then like a week later he cleaned it up and has been on a different trajectory ever since.  

He reads AW confirmed.