• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

9 hours ago, Second Base said:

I have to think that if Tyler, Marte and Ortega were with the big league club, they would've pulled off the victory tonight. Maddon may have been more willing to pull Barria dinner with quality and behind him, and let's just faces it, Junior Guerra is not a good pitcher, and shouldn't be used in the situations he's being used in. 

I don't think it's any coincidence that Warren, Quijada, Selman and Wantz have all outperformed the mainstays of the bullpen this year (outside of Iglesias). 

It's also not a coincidence that Sandoval, Suarez, and Barria have outperformed Quintana, Bundy, and Heaney.

Edited by stormngt

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so true.  I went back and watched the three of them skipping through a bit.  

Let's start with Criswell.  Dude pitches his butt off.  Doesn't even touch 90 but everything spins.  Not sure I saw a single four seamer.  Kinda reminds me of Weaver a little.  And before everyone gets in a twist about that comp, I'm talking about the 2015 version where he's getting guys out with what we used to call puss.  That's a soft U btw and what comes out of infected wound.  (not the other word you creeps).  It's all about keeping guys off balance and locating just right which is what Criswell does.  The stuff is ok but it adds up to be effective.  

Criswell is different.  He has a longish stride, and a low 3/4 delivery that looks almost like he's dropping sidearm at times... I think its less the arm angle than it is his stride and how his body follows that makes it seem lower than it is.  There is some deception in his motion that is seemingly playing up.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Angels finally have a second tier of SP arms. 

It's been a long, long, time and truthfully you'd have to go all the way back to about 2000/2001 to find a time they had a similar core of MLB ready starters, Stoneman had yet to build the depth he would become famous for but he had Wash, Ortiz, Schoeneweis, with Shields, Lackey and KRod behind them.  They should be able to mine that second tier for the RP they have been lacking since 2011...  Ten freaking years.

Billy Eppler screwed himself with the FA signings but the foundation he was building is becoming pretty clear. The draft this year was IMO the final push to accelerate that second tier of pitching.  Minasian and company deserve some props for seemingly finishing what was being worked on before building whatever they want to build next.  Also, signing all the UDFAs is going to end up helping all the more talented but young or slowly developing position players.  It nice to see them go all in the way they did after the draft because the system really didn't have a lot of organizational types, players good for the minors and capable of helping the real talent grow by simply impacting the W/L records.  Winning percentage is pretty meaningless in the minors, but getting used/expecting to win is not.  For much of the early Eppler years, those organizational types were being pressed into MLB roles due to the lack of depth and black holes at the very top.  Things are finally better.

I'm still hoping we see more call ups and bullpen auditions this season. If they can find a few BP pieces internally it will make for a significantly easier off-season.  Behind the impact on the W/L record, the shittiest part about the Rendon and Trout injuries is that it will allow the narrative to continue to be "Trout and the playoffs", when maybe it should be "Angels pitching looks to have turned the corner".

Because of how long it's been since the Angels were a legitimately good team people will simply focus on the overall record and the full season stats. My guess is few people outside of Anaheim realize they have completely turned over their rotation in season... If they can close the season out by doing something similar in the pen, they will be sitting pretty.

i still think the would be well served adding a QUALITY rotation piece and they'll need some certainty at the back end of the pen but things are finally looking better.

Yes and yes again. To address that last line, that's also where I'm at, but we'll have a better sense whether Minasian agrees or not, if they call up more of these guys over the next two months. Meaning, if the Angels think they can put together two-thirds of a bullpen from within, they'll want to audition candidates this year.

But if that's the case, they'll likely go after one quality starter (with Cobb as the baseline, but possibly Stroman or even Gausman), try to re-sign Raisel, and maybe a couple other relievers.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Angels finally have a second tier of SP arms. 

It's been a long, long, time and truthfully you'd have to go all the way back to about 2000/2001 to find a time they had a similar core of MLB ready starters, Stoneman had yet to build the depth he would become famoua for but he had Wash, Ortiz, Schoeneweis, with Shields, Lackey and KRod behind them.  They should be able to mine that second tier for the RP they have been lacking since 2011...  Ten freaking years.

Billy Eppler screwed himself with the FA signings but the foundation he was building is becoming pretty clear. The draft this year was IMO the final push to accelerate that second tier of pitching.  Minasian and company deserve some props for seemingly finishing what was being worked on before building whatever they want to build next.  Also, signing all the UDFAs is going to end up helping all the more talented but young or slowly developing position players.  It nice to see them go all in the way they did after the draft because the system really didn't have a lot of organizational types, players good for the minors and capable of helping the real talent grow by simply impacting the W/L records.  Winning percentage is pretty meaningless in the minors, but getting used/expecting to win is not.  For much of the early Eppler years, those organizational types were being pressed into MLB roles due to the lack of depth and black holes at the very top.  Things are finally better.

I'm still hoping we see more call ups and bullpen auditions this season. If they can find a few BP pieces internally it will make for a significantly easier off-season.  Behind the impact on the W/L record, the shittiest part about the Rendon and Trout injuries is that it will allow the narrative to continue to be "Trout and the playoffs", when maybe it should be "Angels pitching looks to have turned the corner".

Because of how long it's been since the Angels were a legitimately good team people will simply focus on the overall record and the full season stats. My guess is few people outside of Anaheim realize they have completely turned over their rotation in season... If they can close the season out by doing something similar in the pen, they will be sitting pretty.

i still think the would be well served adding a QUALITY rotation piece and they'll need some certainty at the back end of the pen but things are finally looking better.

Maybe not quite to this extreme, but they had an entire 21st round to themselves.  And winning is fun as hell regardless of whether it truly matters.  It's motivating.   I'm also gonna take a stab at a theory I have about all those UDFA's.  I bet if you interviewed their college coaches (which I'm sure the halos did) you'd get a lot of 'team leader' and 'great guy in the dugout' comments.  Or he's a dirt dog or grinder.  Guys that are gonna work their ass off and make as much as they can out of what is likely less talent.  

I really like that they stuck to their plan in the draft.  Hopefully that plan works.  They went into the final and picked C for every answer.  Then they took an opportunity to plug the system with what I am guessing were/are a bunch of baseball players.  

Hopefully this was the extra 20% that the system needed on top of the 80% that Eppler got.  I am also very curious to see if Swanson sticks long term.  I actually really like him and what he's done.   

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes and yes again. To address that last line, that's also where I'm at, but we'll have a better sense whether Minasian agrees or not, if they call up more of these guys over the next two months. Meaning, if the Angels think they can put together two-thirds of a bullpen from within, they'll want to audition candidates this year.

But if that's the case, they'll likely go after one quality starter (with Cobb as the baseline, but possibly Stroman or even Gausman), try to re-sign Raisel, and maybe a couple other relievers.

I think the big change between last off season and the one upcoming is that Minasian is going to be crazy active on the reliever front.  I really think he woke up about a week before the season, looked at what he had, and realized it wasn't going to work.   It would surprise me if he goes the route of extending Raisel though.  Cobb or another starter?  Yes, I think he'll do that.  

We've already gotten a preview of how he's gonna want to build bullpens in the future.  Drafting a bunch of big bodied high velo guys.  Then trading for a few more of them.  This year it was Cishek, Watson, Claudio, Slegers, Rowen, Guerra.  All those 'crafty' types.  I'll wager that this time around it's just a slew of high octane types.  I think they'll spend money on a SS before a pen guy.  Just stay the F away from Baez.  Please.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think the big change between last off season and the one upcoming is that Minasian is going to be crazy active on the reliever front.  I really think he woke up about a week before the season, looked at what he had, and realized it wasn't going to work.   It would surprise me if he goes the route of extending Raisel though.  Cobb or another starter?  Yes, I think he'll do that.  

We've already gotten a preview of how he's gonna want to build bullpens in the future.  Drafting a bunch of big bodied high velo guys.  Then trading for a few more of them.  This year it was Cishek, Watson, Claudio, Slegers, Rowen, Guerra.  All those 'crafty' types.  I'll wager that this time around it's just a slew of high octane types.  I think they'll spend money on a SS before a pen guy.  Just stay the F away from Baez.  Please.  

Yeah, Baez would be the wrong direction. He's a good defender and has immense power, but when he's not making contact his OBP is horrible - and it is never good. Yet I have a feeling of creeping doom, mainly because of Maddon.

Here are the big SS candidates with 2022 ages:

Baez (29) - big power, good defender, terrible OBP. Maddon love.

Semien (31) - Quietly become one of the best all-around players in the game, leading the majors in WAR from 2019-21. But older.

Correa (27) - Bounce-back year, but will be very expensive. Cost will likely be prohibitive (7+ years, $25M+ AAV).

Seager (28) - Last year looked like a bounce-back but he's been only decent this year, mainly due to injury. Injured a lot. I don't see him getting a big contract, so could be a bargain. Probably stays with Dodgers.

Story (29) - One of the more consistent players on the list, but having an off year. Possibly a Coors product.

I love Paris and Vera, but they're both at least 3 years away. Jackson I see more as a 3B. I love the idea of a shorter Semien contract, but I don't think he'll take (or get) less than five years, which I would pass on. Most likely the Angels re-sign Iglesias for two years (maybe 2/$12M), which I'm fine with. I'd also like to see Rengifo get more of a chance, but he hasn't done much with the chances he's gotten. Or maybe just get the best possible glove, regardless of the bat, to shore up the defense.

Either way, I don't like the idea of locking up tons of money in SS when A) the team has a great lineup as it is and can carry a weak link offensively, and B) They've got a bunch of good middle infield prospects in the works. 

Cobb and R. Iglesias being re-signed to 2-3 year deals is very important, in my mind.

Cobb, aside from the IL time, has been solid and is a mentor to the young pitchers.

R. Iglesias, aside from a little HR propensity, has been rock solid.  Pitchers with 8/1 Ks/BBs ratios and sub 1.00 WHIPs don’t grow on trees.

Focus on resigning those two, plus one solid late innings guy, one veteran middle innings guy, and a 2-3 year deal for a SS.   Then get Daniel, Tyler, Ortega, and Marte ready to join Warren and Wantz in the kiddie korps in the pen.

Next year could be very promising, IF the injuries for a change don’t pile up.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I remember Duensing being a possible guy.

I think there were maybe 1 or 2 folks here who hyped him a bit.  Dude has a 7.07 career ERA with a WHIP of 1.781, a BB rate of 5.8/9 and a K rate of only 7.6/9.  I know some people say minor league numbers don't always matter that much, but when you're still putting up truly disastrous numbers like that like 5 years after you're drafted, it's time to go.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

I think there were maybe 1 or 2 folks here who hyped him a bit.  Dude has a 7.07 career ERA with a WHIP of 1.781, a BB rate of 5.8/9 and a K rate of only 7.6/9.  I know some people say minor league numbers don't always matter that much, but when you're still putting up truly disastrous numbers like that like 5 years after you're drafted, it's time to go.

I had some hope for him at one point.  Until he pretty much showed that he couldn't find the strike zone even remotely.  

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

He's been the pitching version of Nonie.  Dude just never developed.  Control never got better, some say it got worse.  I am a little bit he lasted as long as he did.

18 minutes ago, mmc said:

Brendon Davis through 5 innings has a double, a home run, and 2 walks.  Izzy Wilson has 4 hits, a double and a home run

then in his last at bat he took a borderline pitch for called strike 3 and flipped his bat at the plate in disgust.  In a 17-3 game.  pretty weak.   

34 minutes ago, mmc said:

Brendon Davis through 5 innings has a double, a home run, and 2 walks.  Izzy Wilson has 4 hits, a double and a home run

That's my guy! He's been playing a lot of 2B and SS of late too.