• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Davis turned 24 today and had some prospect pedigree. A 5th Rd. that the Dodgers paid $900k for, overslot by $600k, for and part of the Darvish trade. 

Could be a helpful bench player still, if not something better. 

Kinda agree with @Angelsjunky in that Davis is gonna end up being an all or nothing guy.  He burn out in the minors or end up being a 30hr guy in the majors with 180k.  

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think Hernandez's velocity would climb considerably if put in relief, and he could turn into a pretty decent middle inning reliever.

Yeah, which makes me want them to do that ASAP, so he can be part of the pen next year.

On the other hand, if what you and Doc say is true, then Hernandez could be a useful depth starter to have in AAA next year, in case the Angels are hit badly by injuries. Aside from prospects either waiting for their chance or polishing up their game, most AAA players are either depth/extended bench players like Ward, Thaiss, and Barria, or they're filler/emergency players - guys you really hope you never have to play in the majors, but are there to fill out the roster and be called up in a dire emergency; these are guys like Pannone, Faria, Arcia, etc.

We're actually kind of lucky how healthy the major league rotation has been, because AAA is really barren of decent depth guys - or at least was before Detmers and Rodriguez were called up. Really only Barria was a guy who you'd be OK starting games in the majors.

Hernandez could be one of several such starters in AAA next year, along with Daniel, maybe Barria (although he's out of options), possibly Detmers and/or Rodriguez, Tyler, and maybe Diaz, who is looking somewhat intriguing. Meaning, the AAA rotation should be better next year, and give a bit of a security net.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

True, true. Wasn't he (also) a favorite of @Second Base? I remember someone being high on him, and I just assume Scotty.

I was never particularly high on Nonie, at least not that I remember anyway. I liked his frame and tools but he always seemed awkward in his movements and after he moved off SS he lost his positional value to me. 

Maybe it was doc.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah, which makes me want them to do that ASAP, so he can be part of the pen next year.

On the other hand, if what you and Doc say is true, then Hernandez could be a useful depth starter to have in AAA next year, in case the Angels are hit badly by injuries. Aside from prospects either waiting for their chance or polishing up their game, most AAA players are either depth/extended bench players like Ward, Thaiss, and Barria, or they're filler/emergency players - guys you really hope you never have to play in the majors, but are there to fill out the roster and be called up in a dire emergency; these are guys like Pannone, Faria, Arcia, etc.

We're actually kind of lucky how healthy the major league rotation has been, because AAA is really barren of decent depth guys - or at least was before Detmers and Rodriguez were called up. Really only Barria was a guy who you'd be OK starting games in the majors.

Hernandez could be one of several such starters in AAA next year, along with Daniel, maybe Barria (although he's out of options), possibly Detmers and/or Rodriguez, Tyler, and maybe Diaz, who is looking somewhat intriguing. Meaning, the AAA rotation should be better next year, and give a bit of a security net.

Totally nitpicking but I still think Matt Thaiss is more than a bench option in the long run. 

And as for Hernandez's role, I think you need to ask yourself, what's more important, actualized major league value or theoretical major league depth? 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Totally nitpicking but I still think Matt Thaiss is more than a bench option in the long run. 

And as for Hernandez's role, I think you need to ask yourself, what's more important, actualized major league value or theoretical major league depth? 

I agree re: Thaiss, but that's what he's been this year, and really for the last two or three years. Top prospects don't hang out in AAA for years. But yes, he's more than Brennan Lund.

I hear you about Hernandez, but there's no clear route for him to the major league rotation. He's behind seven guys, and probably at least two more (Daniel, Bachman). By point is that as a starter, his main utility for the Angels over the next few years is as a depth guy in AAA, whereas as a reliever he has a shot of being in the majors, as soon as next year. Or maybe that's your point?

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

I agree re: Thaiss, but that's what he's been this year, and really for the last two or three years. Top prospects don't hang out in AAA for years. But yes, he's more than Brennan Lund.

I hear you about Hernandez, but there's no clear route for him to the major league rotation. He's behind seven guys, and probably at least two more (Daniel, Bachman). By point is that as a starter, his main utility for the Angels over the next few years is as a depth guy in AAA, whereas as a reliever he has a shot of being in the majors, as soon as next year. Or maybe that's your point?

That was my point. But I appreciate you explaining it. Couldn't have said it better myself. 

Considering the state of the Angels bullpen, I really think they need to focus on just developing some arms to help in the majors. I'd still develop the top guys (Bachman, Detmers, Rodriguez) as starters, but I'd be more than open to putting many others in the bullpen. While it'd be great if some of those guys could be back-end starters, I'd gladly settle for them becoming depth relievers with a couple being more than that.

I'd put guys like Brady, Hernandez, Pina, and Yan in the pen

you only need so much depth to the rotation and you can always stretch a guy out if your depth is really tapped.  I think it's clear that Detmers, Rodriguez, Sandoval, Canning, and Suarez have more potential that someone like Hernandez.  

Personally I'd have Barria in the rotation every fifth or sixth day to as least showcase him if you're not gonna keep him.  The system is very close to allowing for several guys to start converting to relief due to a bottleneck ahead of them.  Something that hasn't happened for a long time.  I wouldn't say we're flush with pitching by any means but it is just about to the point where where you can comfortably start to test certain guys as high leverage relievers instead of keeping them as starters due to a thin system.  

But you have to maximize their potential.  One way or another.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

you only need so much depth to the rotation and you can always stretch a guy out if your depth is really tapped.  I think it's clear that Detmers, Rodriguez, Sandoval, Canning, and Suarez have more potential that someone like Hernandez.  

Personally I'd have Barria in the rotation every fifth or sixth day to as least showcase him if you're not gonna keep him.  The system is very close to allowing for several guys to start converting to relief due to a bottleneck ahead of them.  Something that hasn't happened for a long time.  I wouldn't say we're flush with pitching by any means but it is just about to the point where where you can comfortably start to test certain guys as high leverage relievers instead of keeping them as starters due to a thin system.  

But you have to maximize their potential.  One way or another.  

Only by the means of relative to recent history. I mean, when was the last time we had this kind of pitching depth? It has been paper thin for years; now it is more cardboard thin, which is "flush" relative to the last few years.

I suppose we had some depth about five years ago, but you know how that turned out. And even then, there wasn't much in the minors. But now, we're talking about converting guys like Hernandez, Daniel*, Pina and Yan, rather than hoping that one of them turns into a decent starter.

*re: Daniel, while I do think he ends up being a reliever--and a good one, at that--he might be worth keeping in a starter role, as he might be the best option to be a depth call-up next year, if and when someone gets hurt. Maybe Bachman too, but I assume he's on the Detmers path: they'll start him in A or AA, with the hopes of him being ready for the majors late next year or in early 2023. But Daniels could be the AAA starter next year who is called up first.

EDIT: I meant Daniels, not Detmers in the last sentence. We'll see Detmers in August.

Edited by Angelsjunky

They can be a little more patient with Daniel since he isn't R5 eligible until winter of '22. 

Hernandez, Criswell, Tyler, Diaz, Brady, Ortega, Higgins and Pina are all R5 eligible this year, as are a few further off guys like Jose Salvador, Stiward Aquino, Sadrac Franco, and John Swanda. That last group isn't as likely but if they really like one of them, perhaps Franco or Salvador, they have a shot too, like when Yan was added. 

This is my biggest reasoning for the Angels clearing out the pen in the next couple of days, and bringing up a handful of these guys. It will jumble up the 40-man a bit, and we'll likely have to expose some to waivers earlier than we'd like, but that's where I'll trust our FO to make those determinations.

Also makes sense to bundle one or two of these guys up for a non-rental, under-the-radar reliever this year who might have a little more ability to stick in a pen. It's risky moving a quantity of arms, but with the recent draft class, this could be a good strategy to take one or three wild-card, fringe arms in the group above and turn them into something a little more surefire and MLB-ready. Sort of like the Bundy trade. 

Ironically, going after Fry or Scott makes sense there, or some of the Marlins relief arms. 

Edited by totdprods

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They can be a little more patient with Daniel since he isn't R5 eligible until winter of '22. 

Hernandez, Criswell, Tyler, Diaz, Brady, Ortega, Higgins and Pina are all R5 eligible this year, as are a few further off guys like Jose Salvador, Stiward Aquino, Sadrac Franco, and John Swanda. That last group isn't as likely but if they really like one of them, perhaps Franco or Salvador, they have a shot too, like when Yan was added. 

This is my biggest reasoning for the Angels clearing out the pen in the next couple of days, and bringing up a handful of these guys. It will jumble up the 40-man a bit, and we'll likely have to expose some to waivers earlier than we'd like, but that's where I'll trust our FO to make those determinations.

Also makes sense to bundle one or two of these guys up for a non-rental, under-the-radar reliever this year who might have a little more ability to stick in a pen. It's risky moving a quantity of arms, but with the recent draft class, this could be a good strategy to take one or three wild-card, fringe arms in the group above and turn them into something a little more surefire and MLB-ready. Sort of like the Bundy trade. 

Ironically, going after Fry or Scott makes sense there, or some of the Marlins relief arms. 

Good stuff. This is the deeper layer of factors that most of us often forget about - roster considerations. We're going to lose some of these guys. Of the list in your second paragraph, I'd really want to protect Hernandez, Ortega and Pina, as I think all three could be good relievers in the near future. The others I'm less worried about.

Edited by Angelsjunky