• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

4 minutes ago, HaloMilliVanilli said:

We have fewer minor league teams now, right?  Guess it makes sense that we would hear about more players being completely released instead of just being sent further back down the pipeline.

Jewelry Rivera was the first release that I'd recognized.

Yes no more Orem.  Burlington is also gone and replaced with IE moving to our Low A affiliate and new Tri City moving to high A

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Tyler is hitting 95-96 MPH out of the pen and has a curve/splitter. Marte hits 99-101 MPH and has a knockout slider. Get these guys up with the big league club soon. Maybe Ortega too. 

I have to think that if Tyler, Marte and Ortega were with the big league club, they would've pulled off the victory tonight. Maddon may have been more willing to pull Barria dinner with quality and behind him, and let's just faces it, Junior Guerra is not a good pitcher, and shouldn't be used in the situations he's being used in. 

I don't think it's any coincidence that Warren, Quijada, Selman and Wantz have all outperformed the mainstays of the bullpen this year (outside of Iglesias). 

Without even dipping into free agency, here's what the Angels have for next year:

Major league ready starters: Ohtani, Sandoval, Canning, Suarez, Barria, Detmers, Rodriguez

AA/AAA starters: Bachman, Daniel, Diaz, Naughton, Criswell, Junk, Smith, Pina, Yan, Bush, Marceaux.

AA/AAA relievers: Ortega, Wantz, Warren, Tyler, Marte, Peguero, Armstrong, Hernandez.

And others, of course. But that's starting to look like a lot of usable future major leaguers, even if only half of the guys the second two categories become solid major leaguers.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Without even dipping into free agency, here's what the Angels have for next year:

Major league ready starters: Ohtani, Sandoval, Canning, Suarez, Barria, Detmers, Rodriguez

AA/AAA starters: Bachman, Daniel, Diaz, Naughton, Criswell, Junk, Smith, Pina, Yan, Bush, Marceaux.

AA/AAA relievers: Ortega, Wantz, Warren, Tyler, Marte, Peguero, Armstrong, Hernandez.

And others, of course. But that's starting to look like a lot of usable future major leaguers, even if only half of the guys the second two categories become solid major leaguers.

It may be too optimistic to slot Bachman, Bush and Marceaux in AA next year. Maybe want to pump the brakes and focus on finding their success in high A, but you never know. 

I would really like to see Ortega, Tyler, Marte, Peguero join Wantz and Warren in the bullpen to cap off the season. They should get a legitimate tryout for next year because their success or lack thereof should have a HUGE impact on Minasian's off-season. It can cut down the money he spends on the bullpen down to nothing, or it could reveal that he needs to make some major signings and trades. 

But we won't know unless they replace Quintana, Guerra, and Cishek. 

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

After the loss today, it was really therapeutic seeing the performances by Pina, Daniel and Criswell tonight.

so true.  I went back and watched the three of them skipping through a bit.  

Let's start with Criswell.  Dude pitches his butt off.  Doesn't even touch 90 but everything spins.  Not sure I saw a single four seamer.  Kinda reminds me of Weaver a little.  And before everyone gets in a twist about that comp, I'm talking about the 2015 version where he's getting guys out with what we used to call puss.  That's a soft U btw and what comes out of infected wound.  (not the other word you creeps).  It's all about keeping guys off balance and locating just right which is what Criswell does.  The stuff is ok but it adds up to be effective.  

Daniel was super sharp tonight.  As you could tell from the highlights, he had the breaking ball working tonight.  And that oddly unhittable fastball.  I wouldn't say that the breaking pitch is plus but it's better than just average.  Yet it plays off the fastball so well when he's throwing it for strikes.  I saw some pretty nasty changeups tonight.  Got some ugly swings and misses but he just doesn't throw it very often.  And at this point he really doesn't need to because the other two pitches are effective but I think he's gonna need it more vs. lefties as he moves along.  Yet, I'd personally like to see him start throwing it more now.  Just my opinion.  

Pina has really good stuff.  As far as raw stuff is concerned he's probably 4th on my list and I'm including bachman ahead of him even though I haven't seen much of him yet.  The fastball touched 97 tonight but was mostly 93-95 and he located it very well after the first couple innings which is where the other team did it's damage.  He was getting behind in those first two innings and then settled big time.  After that he was throwing it where he wanted consistently.  Saw no signs that he wasn't in control the whole time.  Even when he missed, it wasn't really by much.  His slider is nasty.  A plus pitch for sure.  Maybe even plus plus.  Kinda reminds me a bit of Betances or a poor man's version in terms of his size and stuff.  From what I could tell he had two versions of the breaking ball he was trying to throw.  One a little harder as an out pitch and another a little slower when he tried to spot it for a strike.  There was only about 2-3 mph difference so it wasn't like a curve vs. slider.  He got underneath it a few time but had it working for the most part.  He also throws a splitter which is a very good pitch.  Announcer said he's been throwing it for a couple years now but I just recently noticed it in his last few starts.  It's got some pretty sharp drop to it.  A very good third pitch (or fourth if you consider the two versions of the breaking ball I saw).  

I bet Pina could be in the majors as a pen arm mid next year if that's the direction they went with him but I hope they keep him a starter for now.  He's definitely got the stuff and maybe it was just a good night but his control is way better right now than I've ever seen from him.  Some might even venture to say the he actual had command.  

Like I mentioned, I'm probably about as bullish on him as I am Daniel and I've got him probably tied for fourth after Detmers, Rodriguez, Bachman and equal with Daniel.  He could end up a very solid middle of the rotation guy with probably a bit of upside beyond that.  I think his floor is that of a really good late innings reliever.  

The Angels finally have a second tier of SP arms. 

It's been a long, long, time and truthfully you'd have to go all the way back to about 2000/2001 to find a time they had a similar core of MLB ready starters, Stoneman had yet to build the depth he would become famous for but he had Wash, Ortiz, Schoeneweis, with Shields, Lackey and KRod behind them.  They should be able to mine that second tier for the RP they have been lacking since 2011...  Ten freaking years.

Billy Eppler screwed himself with the FA signings but the foundation he was building is becoming pretty clear. The draft this year was IMO the final push to accelerate that second tier of pitching.  Minasian and company deserve some props for seemingly finishing what was being worked on before building whatever they want to build next.  Also, signing all the UDFAs is going to end up helping all the more talented but young or slowly developing position players.  It nice to see them go all in the way they did after the draft because the system really didn't have a lot of organizational types, players good for the minors and capable of helping the real talent grow by simply impacting the W/L records.  Winning percentage is pretty meaningless in the minors, but getting used/expecting to win is not.  For much of the early Eppler years, those organizational types were being pressed into MLB roles due to the lack of depth and black holes at the very top.  Things are finally better.

I'm still hoping we see more call ups and bullpen auditions this season. If they can find a few BP pieces internally it will make for a significantly easier off-season.  Behind the impact on the W/L record, the shittiest part about the Rendon and Trout injuries is that it will allow the narrative to continue to be "Trout and the playoffs", when maybe it should be "Angels pitching looks to have turned the corner".

Because of how long it's been since the Angels were a legitimately good team people will simply focus on the overall record and the full season stats. My guess is few people outside of Anaheim realize they have completely turned over their rotation in season... If they can close the season out by doing something similar in the pen, they will be sitting pretty.

i still think the would be well served adding a QUALITY rotation piece and they'll need some certainty at the back end of the pen but things are finally looking better.