• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Albanese’s night is over…

So far the 2021 picks Bachman, Smith, and Albanese have combined for 6 IP, 2 H, 2 BB, 7 K and zero runs.

Nathan Burns - 19th rounder this year.  Age 22.  Pitched an inning for the CPX Angels tonight.  2k.  1h.  0 runs.  

Joey Walsh - UDFA this year.  2.1 ip.  3k.  1bb, 0h, 0er

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

is it just me or does anyone else get a little bit of a Hunter Pence vibe from stefanic?  Kinda ugly looking all around but the guy just produces results.  

granted pence was far more talented but I like it so far.  

I can see a more "controlled" Hunter Pence in his swing if that makes sense. I have not seen this guy on defense but I get the feeling he is a butcher out there?

6 hours ago, rafibomb said:

I can see a more "controlled" Hunter Pence in his swing if that makes sense. I have not seen this guy on defense but I get the feeling he is a butcher out there?

From what I have seen it isn't great, but he isn't a butcher. Sort of like Kendrick at first. 

He's moved fairly quickly all on the strength of his bat, much like Kendrick, so any improvement on defense will come once he plateaus out - either at AAA or in the bigs. 

Once Kendrick established himself as a solid hitter in the bigs, his defense started to improve significantly, and while he wasn't a GG, you weren't wincing when it was hit his way.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

From what I have seen it isn't great, but he isn't a butcher. Sort of like Kendrick at first. 

He's moved fairly quickly all on the strength of his bat, much like Kendrick, so any improvement on defense will come once he plateaus out - either at AAA or in the bigs. 

Once Kendrick established himself as a solid hitter in the bigs, his defense started to improve significantly, and while he wasn't a GG, you weren't wincing when it was hit his way.

?????  Was there a Kendrick other than Howie?   

Not sure if your mixing Kendrick up with Kennedy who some felt lacked ranged at 2B when he first came up with the Cards but there were never questions about Kendrick's glove, if anything his glove outplayed his bat early on, mostly because he played more 1B than 2B that first season.  But all the data at the time pointed to his being a solid/plus defender..  Howie put up positive/plus zone/range/DRS ratings from the get go at second, he just wasn't the defender AK had been in his prime and that's what people compared him to initially.

Stefanic doesn't compare to Kendrick defensively, just different animals... whether he can improve on that is up for debate and I don't think its fair to write him off..  They have played him all over so it's hard to say he's truly a poor defender, he tends to convert on balls he reaches so he has that in his favor.  If they kept him at one spot he might learn how to position himself well enough that he might overcome his physical limitations but he's definitely lacking the physical tools. 

To their credit, the Angels have been playing him all over in hopes of seeing if he can defend well enough at multiple positions to create extra value for himself but he's not shown enough at any one position to make the Angels consider keeping locked in at one spot.

I'm not as down on Stefanic as this might read, he's worked for everything he's done so far and I'd love to see him get a shot.  I think he's likely Tommy LaStella with better hands but with as much positioning as they have guys do these days "better hands" might be enough.

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

?????  Was there a Kendrick other than Howie?   

Not sure if your mixing Kendrick up with Kennedy who some felt lacked ranged at 2B when he first came up with the Cards but there were never questions about Kendrick's glove, if anything his glove outplayed his bat early on, mostly because he played more 1B than 2B that first season.  But all the data at the time pointed to his being a solid/plus defender..  Howie put up positive/plus zone/range/DRS ratings from the get go at second, he just wasn't the defender AK had been in his prime and that's what people compared him to initially.

Stefanic doesn't compare to Kendrick defensively, just different animals... whether he can improve on that is up for debate and I don't think its fair to write him off..  They have played him all over so it's hard to say he's truly a poor defender, he tends to convert on balls he reaches so he has that in his favor.  If they kept him at one spot he might learn how to position himself well enough that he might overcome his physical limitations but he's definitely lacking the physical tools. 

To their credit, the Angels have been playing him all over in hopes of seeing if he can defend well enough at multiple positions to create extra value for himself but he's not shown enough at any one position to make the Angels consider keeping locked in at one spot.

I might be mixing some of it up with Kennedy as I remember he had some defensive question marks too, but I definitely remember there being some concern about how Kendrick's defense would be in the bigs, at least when he was in the lower minors. Maybe I'm not remembering if those questions were cleared by the time he reached AAA.

When he arrived he was solid and he definitely got better, as you said the data backed up. 

Just now, totdprods said:

I might be mixing some of it up with Kennedy as I remember he had some defensive question marks too, but I definitely remember there being some concern about how Kendrick's defense would be in the bigs, at least when he was in the lower minors. Maybe I'm not remembering if those questions were cleared by the time he reached AAA.

When he arrived he was solid and he definitely got better, as you said the data backed up. 

I've always been a PITA about defense and run prevention so I've always keyed on that...

Its funny too because Adam Kennedy's defense caught a huge amount of bullshit from Angels fans early on which was pretty funny given how his career went.  Then HK comes up and everyone was whining he wasn't AK defensively so I can see where the impression may have come.

Both those guys got saddled with reps they didn't deserve... Only reason its so vivid for me is I remember beating my head into a wall defending them both... Lol..

I hope Stefanic gets a chance.  With Rengifo possibly hurt, maybe he gets one.

20 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I've always been a PITA about defense and run prevention so I've always keyed on that...

Its funny too because Adam Kennedy's defense caught a huge amount of bullshit from Angels fans early on which was pretty funny given how his career went.  Then HK comes up and everyone was whining he wasn't AK defensively so I can see where the impression may have come.

Both those guys got saddled with reps they didn't deserve... Only reason its so vivid for me is I remember beating my head into a wall defending them both... Lol..

I hope Stefanic gets a chance.  With Rengifo possibly hurt, maybe he gets one.

I was also like, 18 in HS and not focusing as deep on things like that, so I might not be remembering it all clearly. 

Might also be that Howie's bat was so good in the minors that people just poked at his defense to have something to give concern over.

Edited by totdprods

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I was also like, 18 in HS and not focusing as deep on things like that, so I might not be remembering it all clearly. 

Might also be that Howie's bat was so good in the minors that people just poked at his defense to have something to give concern over.

Well to be fair .... he was easily the worst defensively of any of the Aybar, Alfredo Amezaga, Alexi Amarista, Alberto Callaspo, Alexi Cassilla, bunch.

It was a crazy amount of depth/talent at SS/2B.

41 minutes ago, totdprods said:

This was the case for many "national" reporters who didn't spend the time watching him. They wanted to appear like they were giving him a "fair" treatment by finding some area to criticize that would be hard to back up with data.

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Who else do you all expect the Angels call up before year's end?  I'd say:

Probably: Stefanic, Criswell, Ortega, Marte, Danish

Maybe: Daniel, Tyler, Aviles, Lund, Diaz, Junk

Probably not, but you never know: Bachman, Hernandez, B Davis, Peguero

Barring a significant injury that opens a clear need, I don't think we'll see more than one or two more arms. 

Since the AAA season runs to end of September and the MLB rosters are capped at like 28 now, there isn't much need to muddy up the 40-man. 

Stefanic seems like the likeliest bat, but Mayfield is more than handling the role Stefanic would have right now, and Rengifo, Rojas, Wong, and Thaiss all have IF depth and a 40-man ahead of Stefanic should any need come up there. If Iglesias or Fletcher went down for the year, then Stefanic might get it. 

Short of a DFA to Quintana, Bundy, or Guerra there might only be flexibility for one more R5-sensitive arm to audition there too. Marte seems to be a good bet since they're fast-tracking him a bit. Maybe Higgins since he's left-handed.

Chad Wallach seems to stand a shot too, as could AAA vets like Ramos or Johnson. Easier to bring them up to fill needs if you're not worried about DFA'ing in the offseason.