• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2021 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

4 hours ago, rafibomb said:

Wow Jhonathan Diaz followed his complete game gem with another fantastic outing:

7 IP  5 H  1 R (earned)  1 BB  9 SO  93 pitches (58 strikes)

He now owns a 2.22 ERA and 0.95 WHIP on the season with 65 strikeouts in 48.2 innings pitched.

It makes you wonder if his name was purposely spelled that way or they made a typo on his birth certificate. 

He's done really well against a couple decent teams too in Birmingham and Chattanooga. Has also really dominated Tennessee, goodness. 27 K in 13 IP. 

Vs. Birmingham (44-36, White Sox): 13 IP, 8 hits, 2 ER, 0 walks, 16 K
Vs. Chattanooga (40-38, Reds): 12 IP, 11 hits, 4 ER, 1 walk, 13 K
Vs. Tennessee (33-43, Cubs): 13.2 IP, 7 hits, 2 ER, 6 walks, 27 K 

Edited by totdprods

50 minutes ago, totdprods said:

He's done really well against a couple decent teams too in Birmingham and Chattanooga. Has also really dominated Tennessee, goodness. 27 K in 13 IP. 

Vs. Birmingham (44-36, White Sox): 13 IP, 8 hits, 2 ER, 0 walks, 16 K
Vs. Chattanooga (40-38, Reds): 12 IP, 11 hits, 4 ER, 1 walk, 13 K
Vs. Tennessee (33-43, Cubs): 13.2 IP, 7 hits, 2 ER, 6 walks, 27 K 

He seems to have decent control

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

all about what generates immediate returns.  I'd love to see the budgets one of these days.  

I think it's similar to what you see in many other job markets, there's so much demand for the roles that there's little incentive for those at the top to improve conditions, even if's a net benefit in the long term. It's the same thing in finance, junior people get worked into the ground and leave after a few years, and the prevailing argument, instead of actually treating employees with respect and improving retention (which costs less and drives increased happiness and productivity in the long run), is "well you get paid a lot so stop complaining." Same here: "well you're playing for the chance at $100m contracts so suck it up you babies." 

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

It's the way some Jews of Spanish origin spell the name.  It's not a common name but it's not completely odd either.

jhonathan vegas, a golfer on the pga tour, spells his name that way too. said his mom did it on purpose.

occasionally i'll have a kid who mistakenly spells john as jhon. it's kind of a dyslexia thing from what i've seen.

59 minutes ago, Tank said:

jhonathan vegas, a golfer on the pga tour, spells his name that way too. said his mom did it on purpose.

occasionally i'll have a kid who mistakenly spells john as jhon. it's kind of a dyslexia thing from what i've seen.

There have been 3 MLB players that spell it that way, with the most prominent being Jhonny Peralta.  There are more than 100 minor leaguers who've had some variation of name that starts with Jho.

29 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Any rumors as to when Bachman will debut, and at which level?

my guess is he's in Arizona right now.  But it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't even appear in a game or maybe they work him into a couple relief appearances just to get him a bit of mound time whereby AW will freak out that we are developing him as a reliever.  

The Angels didn't have Detmers pitch immediately after being drafted in 2020, but they did allow him to log some side innings toward the end of instructional camp, but I'm guessing that's mostly because he didn't log many collegiate innings because of the shut down.

In 2019, they drafted Kochanowicz and held him off from appearing in any games. Just some bullpen sessions and some appearances at Fall instructs. 

In 2018, Aaron Hernandez was their top pitcher drafted, and he didn't appear in anything until the following season. Same with Kyle Bradish. 

In 2017, they drafted Griffin Canning and he too was held out of games following the draft. 

-------

Now obviously this is a new regime with Perry Minasian in the lead, but it stands to reason they'll probably hold most of their pitchers selected this year back, and let them debut in 2022. 

Now what I think will be interesting is where they start guys like Bachman and Bush. They're most polished pitchers in recent draft history are Canning and Detmers, and they both started in AA (well, Canning had two starts in high A, enough to dominate and promote him immediately, but you get it). Hernandez started in high A. Seminaris was drafted last year and started down in A Ball. 

My guess on they'll both be in high A, but I wouldn't roll me anything out. Most reports suggest they lack the polish of others in recent history but carry more upside. 

Edited by Second Base

Nelson Rada

VenezuelaOF

Notes:

Born: Aug. 24, 2005. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 168.

If Rada had been born eight days later, he would be in the 2022-23 class instead, so he is one of the younger player in the upcoming 2021-22 class. Rada stood out playing for Venezuela at the U-15 World Cup Americas Qualifier in Sept. 2019 in Mexico. He was 5-foot-9 early on, but he's the son of a former professional basketball player in Venezuela and has grown a few inches leading up to his signing date. He's an instinctive player, especially in center field where he gets good reads off the bat with a quick first step and at least solid-average speed. Rada has a fairly short stroke from the left side with a good eye for the strike zone and mostly gap power that has trended up as he's gotten stronger. He trains with Felix Olivo, who also had Angels shortstop Arol Vera, and the Angelsare expected to sign Rada as well.

Here's a question for all the prospect junkies out there.  

Can you teach a player to hit for average?  or maybe another way to ask which may be a separate question is how much of an impact can development have on a players ability to hit for average?  

I've always kinda felt that guys kinda are who they are in terms of their innate ability to put bat to ball.  

For instance, I don't think you can ever do anything in the development process to turn someone like a Jeremiah Jackson into a .300 hitter.  

I think guys can get a little better over time but to me it's not the same as other parts of hitting imo where you can improve a guy's launch angle or even get them to substantially improve their plate discipline.  

Which is why I tend to feel the most bullish about prospects who consistently hit for a higher average from day 1.  

What are your thoughts?  

It makes sense that the halos would be doing a bunch of rearranging considering their acquisition of 1 million pitchers and then grabbing a crap ton of UDFAs but even before the minor league season it felt like there was a ton of turnover at pretty much every level.  I know it happens every year but it seemed like there has been more of it this year.